2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1316
f1316

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Apr 2023, 21:05
I think Charles had good pace today. Certainly was near enough up there with the RB's.

Only concern I think Ferrari will have is the tyres. Charles started on a shiny medium, whilst RB's were on a used medium, which I presume was from the sprint shoot out.

The fact the newer medium dropped off way before the used soft on the RB leads me to think that come tomorrow Ferrari will have to be super careful on the tyres if they want to have a chance of fighting with Red Bull.
I think on lap 11 Charles pushed the tyres a bit harder - his lap was faster than any of the remaining laps any car put - which got him back into DRS zone but only briefly as from then on his pace rapidly deteriorated. He probably thought that, with only 5 laps remaining after that, he might as well give it a go, but trying to match / reel in the RB seemingly cost him race time rather than if he had purely managed to the finish.

In FP1 the Ferrari looked good in the hards - in contrast to the first few races - so that might also be helpful as seems like here it’s more a question of overheating vs not generating the temp and sliding. I’m not saying any of this puts them in the fight for the win btw - unless there’s a helpful SC or the RBs take each other out - but I can see a reason to believe that they may learn something from today and approach the race a little differently.

Sevach
Sevach

chrisc90 wrote:
I think Charles had good pace today. Certainly was near enough up there with the RB's.

Only concern I think Ferrari will have is the tyres. Charles started on a shiny medium, whilst RB's were on a used medium, which I presume was from the sprint shoot out.

The fact the newer medium dropped off way before the used soft on the RB leads me to think that come tomorrow Ferrari will have to be super careful on the tyres if they want to have a chance of fighting with Red Bull.
That's the issue, Leclerc kept close enough for a decent amount of time, which was quite impressive, but then his challenge faded and he was lapping slower than Russell.
If he drives near Red Bull pace he creams his tires, the boring yet smart choice is to let them go and focus on the cars behind unfortunately.

This is already much better than anything Ferrari did this season (last race people were "celebrating" being able to keep up with the Mercedes).

Red Bull's pace is incredible, Ferrari is a lot more peaky, watching a comparison from friday qualy i guessed it would be difficult.
My guess is that Ferrari produces even more downforce than Red Bull when in a straight line, going into a braking zone, Red Bull works better during the corners>exit, that makes it easier to drive and naturally protects the tires.
In the race when Charles can't toss his car like that lap after lap the strenghts of the Red Bull prevail.

One aspect that i can't really make a call is if another factor in Red Bull's race pace is a deployment advantage, it doesn't seem drastically superior (Leclerc, tow no DRS, was closing slightly on Perez) but both sides can be argued.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

chrisc90 wrote:

the pace was very similar to russell sainz alonso and hamilton.
i saw the pace comparisoh graph in other message, and at the end of the sprint, leclecs pace went down quickly. maybe there is some tyre deg and then they should manage the tyres

chrisc90

I think itll be important for them to not battle with the RB's tomorrow. They almost need to run their own race and management, whilst hopefully being out in front if Charles can get the start he needs.
If Charles can get ahead and keep some of the pace he had in the opening laps then there is a good chance that he can keep the lead. I think with the DRS you need to be within 6 tenths in order to make a pass, Anything more and you'll close up but not able to make the pass into turn 1 or the next DRS section. Charles was strong in the middle sector and often pulled a fraction on Max to keep him at the top end of that DRS gap so he wasnt able to overtake (Not counting the damage to MV car).

They need to realise that if the RB's are challenging them, not to fight with them too hard and burn the tyres out. That will be the critical thing tomorrow for Ferrari I think.

The Ferrari is fast, no question, but I think that comes at the expense of some tyre life for certain, which doesnt help on raceday.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

The updates need to bring better tyre management. Hopefully the update to the suspension makes improvements in this respect, as I’m convinced this is the area that RB has the biggest advantage now. Actually think aero/downforce wise the car looks pretty good. If Ferrari can sort the car Charles is the man too. He has an error in him, but he can really put the car about

jambuka
jambuka

Italian media things Baku hiding cars issues https://scuderiafans.com/italian-media- ... in-issues/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

jambuka wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 07:39
Italian media things Baku hiding cars issues https://scuderiafans.com/italian-media- ... in-issues/
A lot of what is written here is conjecture. I don’t have time to dissect it for you right now but there are many erroneous claims and little in the way or sources.

LM10
LM10

jambuka wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 07:39
This must be a horrible article from La Gazzetta dello Sport, if that's all they came up with. Just some false claims like Ferrari was helped by the characteristics of the track because of the car's low drag nature.

Baku has many mid- to low-speed corners where downforce, balance and mechanical grip count. It has a very long straight, yes, but it's completely nonsensical to only focus on this straight.
In qualifying, Charles was second fastest in S1, fastest in S2 by quite a margin and only fifth fastest in S3 which basically only consists of that long straight. Makes sense to say that Ferrari was helped by this straight because of it's low drag concept...

The people at La Gazzetta need to be remembered who got pole position in 2021 in a car which neither had the most powerful PU nor the best efficiency.

Another claim which can't be proven is that RedBull's updates didn't work. Why make things up?

Xyz22
Xyz22

The SF 23 reminds me so much of the SF 90. Competitive in qualifying but mediocre at best in race trim. Also, the SF 90 had a huge advantage which was the higher top speed, especially compared to the W10. Unfortunately, the RB 19 is also quicker than the SF 23 in the straights, so it's absolutely impossible to defend against them.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Charles is going to need to focus on managing the tyres. He won’t be able to hold 2nd with the advantage that RB have under DRS.

F1NAC

Super cool double stack. Bravo

Xyz22
Xyz22

I don't think this chassis can be saved.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

I don’t think the Ferrari is actually that bad. It’s just that the RB is so bloody good. No one comes close!

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vinlarr89 wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 13:58
I don’t think the Ferrari is actually that bad. It’s just that the RB is so bloody good. No one comes close!
Ferrari did a terrible job.

F1NAC

Sainz is new Massa (from 2010 onwards). No pace..