Red Bull RB6

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Red Bull RB6

It could be a smaller rad siamesed to the front of the larger main one. The small one for water feeding an oil cooler and the larger one being the engine coolant.

Would explain why the front one has smaller pipes that join closer together on the matrix.

Admittedly, a bit odd to have common end caps for this type of thing.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

marcush.
marcush.

Just_a_fan wrote:It could be a smaller rad siamesed to the front of the larger main one. The small one for water feeding an oil cooler and the larger one being the engine coolant.

Would explain why the front one has smaller pipes that join closer together on the matrix.

Admittedly, a bit odd to have common end caps for this type of thing.
who knows how they came up with that solution... obviously the radiator matrix is a multipass unit wich is not only split flow through the core top to bottom but also front to rear as well a quite complicated approach there ,with tubing galore running to the outer edges of the car and not keeping these close to the tub.....
One more example where you can see :simply copying this mess would lead you nowhere as it is fairly obvious this happened more out of solving issues than it was originally on their plan....the lower upwards facing wateroutlet is an add on ...compare to the other very integrated solutions...I´´d guess originally they had only the top outlet but faced issues?

ringo

compared to a car with the same engine, you can see how highly developed the rb6 solutions are.Even exhaust pipes are in opposite orientation.

I am not sure how different the right side of the renault is, but it can be assumed it's not much different than the left.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

I´m not sure if I can follow ... the Renault for sure has a better angle for the air hitting the radiator core and this results in a much smaller core area...they seem to have only a single pass radiator and Renault /benetton had always the separated cooling packages and ducts for oil and water,wich is a good idea as you can more selectively open and close the relevant ducts.

Goran2812
Goran2812

do the rules say anything about fans on those radiators?
i remember seeing pics of cars in the past having a fan on each radiator...
did they just dump them to save weight and have more usable space or
are the things banned? having a fan would mean you could have smaller holes
in the sidepods and keep the temp of the engine more stable and more under
control... guessing about the last part...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Shrek
Shrek

Goran2812 wrote:do the rules say anything about fans on those radiators?
No fans anywhere, just using the speed of the car to cool the radiators
Spencer

mep

Somehow I fail to see why you think one is for oil.
I see that the big fat tubes on top meet into one single tube near the exhaust.
So there must be the same liquid in both tubes (hot water because of the big diameter). The two lower tubes can only be the exit of the water. They have smaller diameter because the water is colder but Compared to the big inlet pipes they both need to be exit pipes for water. Simply because a lot of volume goes into radiator so a lot must go out of it - the difference due to thermal expansion.

The radiator is split into a top and lower one. I guess the hot water will enter it on top and then will flow to the inside of the car. Then the colder will flow on the front of the radiator back to the outside of the car and into the exit pipes. The reason is because on the front the air is cold and can therefore still cool the cold water down. On the back side the air already got heated up but is still able to cool the hot water down.

The oil cooler is possible located on top of the gearbox. That’s why they have that massive opening at the end of their airbox.

by marcus
One more example where you can see :simply copying this mess would lead you nowhere as it is fairly obvious this happened more out of solving issues than it was originally on their plan....the lower upwards facing wateroutlet is an add on ...compare to the other very integrated solutions...I´´d guess originally they had only the top outlet but faced issues?
I also fail to see why it looks like an add on. I think we can agree that the big tubes are always inlets. So the upward pointing smaller tubes (in fact for the flow they point downwards) are always outlets.
So when you have just the higher outlet its diameter will be to small compared to both big inlet tubes. So I guess you think they had just one of the big tubes.

1. When you have the lower big tube water must flow uphill to get to the higher outlet. How you force the water to do so without back mixing hot and cold water?

2. When you have just the higher outlet and the higher inlet the lower area of the radiator will not get used efficiently.

Any comments please…..

aral
aral

mep wrote:Somehow I fail to see why you think one is for oil.
So there must be the same liquid in both tubes (hot water because of the big diameter). The two lower tubes can only be the exit of the water. They have smaller diameter because the water is colder but Compared to the big inlet pipes they both need to be exit pipes for water. Simply because a lot of volume goes into radiator so a lot must go out of it - the difference due to thermal expansion.

The radiator is split into a top and lower one. I guess the hot water will enter it on top and then will flow to the inside of the car. Then the colder will flow on the front of the radiator back to the outside of the car and into the exit pipes. The reason is because on the front the air is cold and can therefore still cool the cold water down. On the back side the air already got heated up but is still able to cool the hot water down.

The oil cooler is possible located on top of the gearbox. That’s why they have that massive opening at the end of their airbox.

by marcus
I also fail to see why it looks like an add on. I think we can agree that the big tubes are always inlets. So the upward pointing smaller tubes (in fact for the flow they point downwards) are always outlets.
So when you have just the higher outlet its diameter will be to small compared to both big inlet tubes. So I guess you think they had just one of the big tubes.

1. When you have the lower big tube water must flow uphill to get to the higher outlet. How you force the water to do so without back mixing hot and cold water?

2. When you have just the higher outlet and the higher inlet the lower area of the radiator will not get used efficiently.

Any comments please…..
I don't really understand what you are trying to say, but to say that the inlet for hot water must be larger than the outled for cooled water, is not very believable. The same amount of water goes through both tubes, and if you close off the outlet, you will slow down the cooling outlet and rads will therefore run far hotter, causing engine to overheat! The flow MUST be at a constant and balanced rate, otherwise there would be problems.

marcush.
marcush.

mep wrote:Somehow I fail to see why you think one is for oil.

sorry there I was referring to the Renault picture in this and obviously they have separate oil coolers sitting low behind the Waterrads.

thermal expansion of water?You will not have too much delta in and outlet temp in through the core..and the volume will increase in a range of not even 4% over a range of 0-100°C so that cannot be the reason for difference in water pipe diameter..see table:
http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/8 ... omalie.png

the in and outlets on the same side are there for a reason. It is a double pass radiator ,this is to keep the speed of the flow high and achieve turbulent flow ,which could be better for heat transfer with the tubes they use in the core...very
hard to tell without seeing the actual part.splitting up theflows does of course the exact opposite create two rads in one.

by marcus
I also fail to see why it looks like an add on. I think we can agree that the big tubes are always inlets. So the upward pointing smaller tubes (in fact for the flow they point downwards) are always outlets.I´´m not sure if the top tubes are in or outlets .. reverse flow designs are common .

Yes! and it is indeed siamesed very early after the bend ...so i guess the y had some issue with cooling efficiency and diverted flow to slow down cooling flows ,perhaps.

under each and every of the beautyful welds there is vertical baffling to form the flow paths they need.So the Water tank we see is In and outlet plus these in and outlets are also completely devided. creating two separate double pass radiators in paralell ..in one assembly... quite elaborate... if they would not have the y-piece in the top tube one could think they have split up the water cooling in two circuits..but obviously it does not go that far.

Any comments please…..

Goran2812
Goran2812

Shrek wrote:
I see that there are no fans, but i'm asking, are they allowed to have fans?
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

lotus7
lotus7

mep wrote:
The oil cooler may well be situated on the RH, as for the Renault . It is not uncommon that the oil cooler is located behind the water radiator .
The oil cooler where fitted on top of the gearbox, should be for the gearbox/diff oil . These gearboxes are also "dry sumped".
This is AFAIK .

marcush.
marcush.

the fans are really only able to move the air or help the airflow for standstill and very low car speeds and effectively low speed high load conditions.

As F1 cars don´t spend much time towing trailors up Townes Pass or similar ,the only real use for the fan is on the grid and possibly in a pacecar phase...the grid thing is catered for by auxilliary fans 8ask Button montecarlo!) ,the short stay before the start of the race has to be handled by increased waterpressure resisting the system to boil at those sorts of temps...

Just think about the heat a f1 engine producing 800 hp or 588KW will of course produce a comparable figure in Heat that has to be released into the atmosphere via the cooling circuits .The biggest electric fans for automotive use have a power of 1000W electric power , you might get 30 % of hydraulic power out of them but at an current draw the guy responsible for the wiring and alternator will instantly start to cry for help....so no fans in motorsport applications on the car itself ,apart from hvac or some auxilliary cooling..

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Goran2812 wrote:
Shrek wrote:
I see that there are no fans, but i'm asking, are they allowed to have fans?
No.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Goran2812 wrote: I see that there are no fans, but i'm asking, are they allowed to have fans?
I think fans for cooling were banned after the Brabham BT46B 'fan car' debacle
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

esbjornzon
esbjornzon

Just_a_fan wrote:
Goran2812 wrote: I see that there are no fans, but i'm asking, are they allowed to have fans?
I think fans for cooling were banned after the Brabham BT46B 'fan car' debacle

the red bull rb2 had radiator fans