Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
radosav
radosav

Re: Ferrari F138

anon16 wrote:
Spankyham wrote:My immediate thought, as he pulled out of the pits after they "fixed" the DRS the first time was that they will test it on his in lap for his next tire stop. That just seemed to make sense to me at the time.
That's all well and good, but it does assume that he's within a second of the car in front on said in lap.
Right! #-o

Crabbia
Crabbia

Is it plausible that massa's tire failures were caused by the damamage to his front wing.

from what i saw that cascade was being loaded and then unloaded as it twisted down the straight. so i thought it would consequently load and unload the diagonally opposite corner of the car, the right rear.

So i thought that you put these kind of loading an unloading cycles though a tire and something is going to happen.

another thought is that the endplate was affecting flow to the rear and making the rear DF assymetrical.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

turbof1

If I am correct, the left cascade was the one damaged and it was in both cases the rear-right that got shredded. The cascade influence would be minimal to that tyre. Even if that was the case, you could still blame pirelli for it due such a thing is enough to make the the tyre explode.
#AeroFrodo

Mr.G

It was sh**ty weekend for Ferrari at all. However if I look back to the times and the fact that Alonso have had one more pit stop (+20s), goes to the first pit too early (+5s), driving without DRS (+10s) and still lose "only" 37 second to the leader.

Well it's beginning of the season and I hope they already take all the bad luck and now they start to have races without problems.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Spankyham

radosav wrote:
anon16 wrote:
Spankyham wrote:My immediate thought, as he pulled out of the pits after they "fixed" the DRS the first time was that they will test it on his in lap for his next tire stop. That just seemed to make sense to me at the time.
That's all well and good, but it does assume that he's within a second of the car in front on said in lap.
Right! #-o
True but, a window gives you 2 maybe 3 laps, and with 2 DRS zones it was manageable. And, the upside was very clear/obvious.
"He was the fastest driver I ever saw - faster even than Fangio"
_______________________________- Mike Hawthorn on Alberto Ascari

Alonso Fan

sucof wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:maybe Ferrari thought it might still work. They know how the system works better than anyone, because they designed it for their car.

even so, i say that you apply for a job at Ferrari and sort it out :D
Indeed, that seems the only reason they might have to open it again. Or they did not want to open it but accidentally did.

While I agree that we do not know nothing compared to what they know, and we can only speculate 99% of the time, I still believe that since we are all humans we all make errors and sometimes we can rightfully criticize their decisions, like maybe this one. This does not mean I or anyone would think that we know better. What I wanted to point out is that these errors seems to be repeating this season, and that is pretty bad for their WC chances.
ok, i see what you mean. hopefully this will be the end of their missfortune and they will have a very competitive and flawless WC, and hopefully win it as well
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Lorenzo_Bandini
Lorenzo_Bandini

About Massa tire problem

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?s ... try6243270
Update re Massa’s tyres: there was a tear along the entire circumference of the inner sidewall while the tread itself wasn’t cut across. There was just the shallowest scratch with a piece of debris stuck on the surface that isn’t even likely to cause a slow puncture. The failure was most likely due to an excessive load put on the connecting patch along the inner sidewall. Responsibility to state a reason lies completely with the supplier and their delegated tyre engineers. However a valid explanation would be a combination of, but none of those on their own: suspension settings, the asymmetric load resulting from the front wing damage and high energy running through the tyre that caused internal overheating and weakened the shoulder. In the next two weeks we would be mostly concentrated on understanding better how the tyres interact with the extensive update package we are bringing.

tpe
tpe

OK, we talk too much about the race and not the car.
Can somebody explain if the DRS is able to open without the driver to push the button?

(On a side note, I hope that the new updates worked).

Alonso Fan

tpe wrote:OK, we talk too much about the race and not the car.
Can somebody explain if the DRS is able to open without the driver to push the button?

(On a side note, I hope that the new updates worked).
i don't know much, but i suppose it can if it is forced. they can certainly close it without pushing the button or the break pedal.
i suppose it depends on the system they use. a couple of years ago schumacher had a drs falure on his merc and they couldn't close it with even 3 people because it was a hydraulic system that was keeping it open. but the ferrari one can be closed, and maybe opened too.

please spot any faults in the explanation
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

hollus

I get surprised how anal the FIA and the stewards can sometimes be applying the rules, and how lenient they are other times. Alonso ran (for a while) illegally on 3 grounds: rear wing elements outside of their regulation box, DRS flap moved by more than 50mm and DRS activated outside of the allowed zones. It is clear that it was all due to one and only one mechanical problem and also that it was detrimental to race pace, but I thought the car had to adhere to all regulations "at all times"? Obviously other cars have been allowed similar exceptions on similar circumstances before, i.e. Kimi running with a hanging exhaust pipe, front wing flaps flapping around, cars with a loose wheel nut being pulled back to the pits, cars minus one tire being temporarily underweight. What are the rules?

P.S. huuuge Alonso fan here from the city next to his. Not trolling, just surprised.
Rivals, not enemies.

Alonso Fan

hollus wrote:I get surprised how anal the FIA and the stewards can sometimes be applying the rules, and how lenient they are other times. Alonso ran (for a while) illegally on 3 grounds: rear wing elements outside of their regulation box, DRS flap moved by more than 50mm and DRS activated outside of the allowed zones. It is clear that it was all due to one and only one mechanical problem and also that it was detrimental to race pace, but I thought the car had to adhere to all regulations "at all times"? Obviously other cars have been allowed similar exceptions on similar circumstances before, i.e. Kimi running with a hanging exhaust pipe, front wing flaps flapping around, cars with a loose wheel nut being pulled back to the pits, cars minus one tire being temporarily underweight. What are the rules?

P.S. huuuge Alonso fan here from the city next to his. Not trolling, just surprised.
and massa's car would be significantly under the legal weight when it came to scrutineering because he had elements of the front wing missing. then there's the argument that the teams didn't do all these on purpose, and that something outside their power caused them to, like raikkonen's exhaust pipe and massa's front wing, and of course, alonso's drs.

and i suppose the teams didn't gain any benefit from these infringements because if they did then the FIA would be on their case
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

rgkma
rgkma

sorry if this already been asked and posted, but what did caus the DRS failure on Fernandos car?

shelly
shelly

Looking at the dynamics -i.e. the flap flipped over when the "close" signal came- it seems that the screw/glue that hold the base of the actuator to the mainplane failed
twitter: @armchair_aero

Alonso Fan

shelly wrote:Looking at the dynamics -i.e. the flap flipped over when the "close" signal came- it seems that the screw/glue that hold the base of the actuator to the mainplane failed
maybe because of the high wind speeds?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Italiano
Italiano

Alonso Fan wrote:
hollus wrote:I get surprised how anal the FIA and the stewards can sometimes be applying the rules, and how lenient they are other times. Alonso ran (for a while) illegally on 3 grounds: rear wing elements outside of their regulation box, DRS flap moved by more than 50mm and DRS activated outside of the allowed zones. It is clear that it was all due to one and only one mechanical problem and also that it was detrimental to race pace, but I thought the car had to adhere to all regulations "at all times"? Obviously other cars have been allowed similar exceptions on similar circumstances before, i.e. Kimi running with a hanging exhaust pipe, front wing flaps flapping around, cars with a loose wheel nut being pulled back to the pits, cars minus one tire being temporarily underweight. What are the rules?

and massa's car would be significantly under the legal weight when it came to scrutineering because he had elements of the front wing missing. then there's the argument that the teams didn't do all these on purpose, and that something outside their power caused them to, like raikkonen's exhaust pipe and massa's front wing, and of course, alonso's drs.

and i suppose the teams didn't gain any benefit from these infringements because if they did then the FIA would be on their case

Just two words and all of this is explained:

Force majeure.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules