Mercedes AMG F1 W05

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Holm86

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W05

markn93 wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
gray41 wrote:Will they be running the new PU upgrade?
What PU upgrade??
New reliability upgrade spec for China.
Source?

markn93

Believe it was omnicorse.it but checking now.

andrewf1

Holm86 wrote: Source?

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 28231.html

I first read it here, google translate is shabby, but without going into details, basically all 3 engine manufacturers will introduce reliability upgrades in China with the FIA's blessing. According to AMuS, Renault have already introduced theirs in Bahrain.

astracrazy
astracrazy

of course its "reliability" which i'm sure brings some performance as well....

Kiril Varbanov

jagunx51

still curious about its exhaust manifold breakdown....
............!!!!

thomin

Ricky Bobby wrote:Going back to talk about the fuel; Mercedes, Williams and Force India all use Petronas fuel & lubricants while Mclaren use Mobil fuel and lubricants. There is some chance that Mercedes will be running a different spec fuel compared to Williams and Force India but I don't believe there will be a 30bhp/5% power increase from fuel spec to fuel spec, just purely due to how tight the regulations are.

As long as the fuel has been approved by the FIA, you could theoretically use a different fuel at every race, although the cost tends to be huge as it's not exactly cheap stuff to make in big quantities, yet alone small quantities.
OK, I guess in that case it's simply BS. I can't see Petronas providing the teams with different kinds of fuel.

PlatinumZealot

An F1 car can be run on gas from your local neighbourhood pump, so I'm not expecting too much "magic" between fuels.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028

PhillipM
PhillipM

Might have been the case last year, I wouldn't try it this year.

mrluke
mrluke

n smikle wrote:An F1 car can be run on gas from your local neighbourhood pump, so I'm not expecting too much "magic" between fuels.
Not necessarily true.

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

n smikle wrote:An F1 car can be run on gas from your local neighbourhood pump, so I'm not expecting too much "magic" between fuels.
Hmmm, I know where you're coming from. But I think it depends on what you mean by "run". Sure I think it will fire up and idle. May even do a few (suspicious sounding) laps. But last for what, 2000-3000km? If petronas forgets the fuel ("Are you sure the race is in Monaco and not Montreal?"), I don't think they'll manage by popping to the shops with a few gerry cans.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Pahlok
Pahlok

NewtonMeter wrote:
Hmmm, I know where you're coming from. But I think it depends on what you mean by "run". Sure I think it will fire up and idle. May even do a few (suspicious sounding) laps. But last for what, 2000-3000km? If petronas forgets the fuel ("Are you sure the race is in Monaco and not Montreal?"), I don't think they'll manage by popping to the shops with a few gerry cans.
Just went last week to a conference in Coventry university by one of Shell's F1 scientists and it's not your "normal pump gas", although not radically different as it used to be before 1993 (I believe I got the year right). Regulations here (http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules ... 0/fia.html) do show it's similar from normal petrol available: http://www.formulastudent.com/docs/defa ... f?sfvrsn=2.

Main thing I retained from the whole presentation, one of the main focus this year is energetic efficiency of the fuel, so maximum energy per kilo. Opposed to last year where one of the main focus was combustion control at very high engine speeds.

Emerson.F
Emerson.F

Sky Sports F1 2014: How Mercedes become so strong in 2014
Supporting: Ham/Alo/Kimi/Ros/Seb/Hulk/Ric/Mag

Powershift

Emerson.F wrote:Sky Sports F1 2014: How Mercedes become so strong in 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuBB2F6IutQ
some of this is nonsense, the compressor(cold side) is nowhere as hot as the turbine(hot side), so I'm not sure moving the compressor to the front side of the engine is what allows them to move the gearbox closer to the engine, Scarbs has mentioned that the teams have been running somewhat long prop shafts/drive shafts between the engine and gearboxes since the intro of the V'8 for packaging reasons.

Actually a main positive of separating the hot and cold sides is that boost air temps are lower and thus need less inter cooling.

Can anyone see if there is an air inlet behind the drivers head?
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

PlatinumZealot

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Good look at the PU106 A and the compressor up front.

via OmniCorse.it
The turbo centre housing and the compressor is integrated as part of the engine...
The turbine is easily unbolted from the back with a special coupling similar to that seen in power plant gas turbines.

i think...
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Racing Green in 2028