Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

painkiller wrote:what else than the exhaust??!

Look at those fins! much more pronounced this time. They are all the way up near the level of the beam wing!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

munudeges
munudeges

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

xpensive wrote:...the McLaren MP4-27 all of a sudden made Mike Gascoyne's Caterham creation even uglier, hats off!
I didn't think someone like Gascoyne would have gone for a design like that, but we'll see what progress they make.
Last edited by munudeges on 01 Feb 2012, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

N12ck

ledzep4pm wrote:
AbbaleRacing77 wrote:It looks like the mp4-27 has tons of inherent rake and the exhausts are intended to seal the sides of the diffusor.
The exhausts have to point between 10 and 30 degrees UPWARDS. How can that possibly seal the diffuser, which is DOWNWARDS. BTW the exhaust gases come out of the holes on the top of the bulges and don't permeate downwards though them

Instead of fan boys writing what they think are ideas that would make the car go faster, maybe they could engage there brains and contribute in a useful manor to a technical disscusion [-o<
Your new to the forum, so treat people who post on it with respect instead of insulting them, we dont know how that exhaust will work without CFD analysis, so dont shoot people down before you know yourself how it works, you may be right, however dont be soo rude to other people on the forum :D
Budding F1 Engineer

ianwit
ianwit

Mark Hughes claims there is a Newey secret which McLaren have continually failed to exploit. I presume he doesn't know what this is otherwise I am sure he would gladly tell us so how does he know McLaren haven't discovered it? His statement just doesn't make sense.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

What we need, but McLaren will hope does not happen for obvious reasons, is for an engine to go all smokey during testing. Then we'll get to see where the exhaust and surrounding flows are going.

Looking at the sidepod design from the rear 3/4s
we can see that the sidepod is very undercut at the front and this undercut is mirrored, in some part, by the exhaust pod. The leading edge of the floor has a delta-shaped winglet that is, I guess, designed to create a powerful vortext that runs along the side of the floor. There is a cut out midway along the floor where the sidepod is at its widest. Perhaps the idea is to allow/force the vortext to run under the floor at this point and thus feed back towards the diffuser?

The undercut and pod will, I'm sure, be aimed at giving good flow to the rear floor and thus the top of the diffuser. Note the step shape in the barge board in front of the sidepod undercut. This will produce another strong vortext that, presumably, is supposed to flow along the undercut and then to the pod. Perhaps the vortex interacts with the exhaust flow to turn it towards the beam wing? Or perhaps the exhaust engergises the flow on its way to the beam wing? Getting the beam wing working hard will help the diffuser to work too, especially if there is good top flow over the diffuser thanks to the undercut.

At the front, the snowplough is retained. This is likely to generate a pair of very strong vorticesthat will run back towards the sidepods and interact with the barge boards there. The tea tray is also quite well developed in order to direct good quality air under the leading edge of the floor below the sidepods.

The rear of teh car is more open than last year and should help with keeping good flow above the diffuser.

Overall, I reckon there are some interesting details/ideas in this car.

And the fact that they've avoided the horrible 'broken nose' look should, I think, be awarded with 10 bonus points before the season even starts!
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

N12ck

could this be the most beautiful f1 car this year.... I think so :D
Budding F1 Engineer

thestig84
thestig84

ianwit wrote:Mark Hughes claims there is a Newey secret which McLaren have continually failed to exploit. I presume he doesn't know what this is otherwise I am sure he would gladly tell us so how does he know McLaren haven't discovered it? His statement just doesn't make sense.
Im really glad I wasnt the only one annoyed by Mark Hughes article. A whole lot of nothing (especially nothing technical) and randomly claiming Neweys RB is powered by a magical secret. I was annoyed Martin Brundle re-tweeted it and brought it to my attention. Skys following of news and their articles have a long way to go imo.

Ill wait for scarbs analysis for some decent reading!
Last edited by thestig84 on 01 Feb 2012, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.

N12ck

thestig84 wrote:
ianwit wrote:Mark Hughes claims there is a Newey secret which McLaren have continually failed to exploit. I presume he doesn't know what this is otherwise I am sure he would gladly tell us so how does he know McLaren haven't discovered it? His statement just doesn't make sense.
Im really glad I wasnt the only one annoyed by Mark Hughes article. A whole lot of nothing (especially nothing technical) and randomly claiming Neweys RB is powered by a magical secret. I was annoyed Martin Brundle re-tweeted it and brought it to my attention. Skys following of news and their articles have a long way to go imo.

Ill wait for scabs analysis for some decent reading!
+1
Budding F1 Engineer

Polishboy808
Polishboy808

Conservative, fat, and ugly. Wow, I mean, even with a smoothe nose they managed to make this thing look stupid. The Caterham had something about it, something that was likable and added character, but this looks bland and uninspired. I hope they can challenge Red Bull this year, but I have some serious doubts. This car doesn't look to be a winner, at least not yet.

But then again, we have to wait and see what everyone else is bringing to the table.

And to anyone who says this is the most beautiful car this year; you've only seen two. Please keep the fanboy-ism to yourselves, thanks....

horse

xpensive wrote:While the picture-aerodynamicists of this fine forum never cease to amaze me, the McLaren MP4-27 all of a sudden made Mike Gascoyne's Caterham creation even uglier, hats off!

That double-tea-tray under the car is intriguing however, deep-thinker Mark Hughes must have missed that?
Happy Birthday!

I, obviously, have CFD eyes.

EDIT:
thestig84 wrote:scabs
lol
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

AbbaleRacing77
AbbaleRacing77

ledzep4pm wrote:
AbbaleRacing77 wrote:It looks like the mp4-27 has tons of inherent rake and the exhausts are intended to seal the sides of the diffusor.
The exhausts have to point between 10 and 30 degrees UPWARDS. How can that possibly seal the diffuser, which is DOWNWARDS. BTW the exhaust gases come out of the holes on the top of the bulges and don't permeate downwards though them

Instead of fan boys writing what they think are ideas that would make the car go faster, maybe they could engage there brains and contribute in a useful manor to a technical disscusion [-o<
Wow ledze you got me on this one... at first glance it looks like the exhaust is pointing down obviously not all of us were blessed with eagle eye sight like you.

BTW congratulations on post # 17 obviously your contributions have been significant.

xpensive
xpensive

munudeges wrote:
xpensive wrote:...the McLaren MP4-27 all of a sudden made Mike Gascoyne's Caterham creation even uglier, hats off!
Not sure I agree with that. I didn't think someone like Gascoyne would have gone for a design like that, but we'll see what progress they make.
Needless to say, ugly doesn't necessarily mean slow, but then if it looks right, it more often than not is right?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pup
Pup

Polishboy808 wrote:Please keep the fanboy-ism to yourselves, thanks....
And you'll be keeping the self-righteous condescension to yourself then as well, I suppose.

Pup
Pup

xpensive wrote:Needless to say, ugly doesn't necessarily mean slow, but then if it looks right, it more often than not is right?
Yup.

N12ck

Polishboy808 wrote:Conservative, fat, and ugly. Wow, I mean, even with a smoothe nose they managed to make this thing look stupid. The Caterham had something about it, something that was likable and added character, but this looks bland and uninspired. I hope they can challenge Red Bull this year, but I have some serious doubts. This car doesn't look to be a winner, at least not yet.

But then again, we have to wait and see what everyone else is bringing to the table.

And to anyone who says this is the most beautiful car this year; you've only seen two. Please keep the fanboy-ism to yourselves, thanks....
Hence why I said 'could be' and to be honest it would take something to beat this car on looks, once again as i said to the other guy,

You are new to the forum, respect people, or dont post at all :)
Budding F1 Engineer