2015 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 10-12

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
psychemedia
psychemedia

Re: 2015 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 10-12

As part of an ongoing recreational data project (f1datajunkie.com), I've been exploring various ways of wrangling and visualising a variety of F1 related datasets, using such data as is available.

The following charts are my attempts at visualising practice session laptimes to show how the teams make use of the sessions, based on the laptime data published by the FIA.

FP1 session utilisation:

FP2 session utilisation:

Any comments about how I might make this sort of chart more useful/readable much appreciated:-)

WaikeCU

Phil wrote:
Vasconia wrote:But if Ferrari can match their lap times during the first 3-5 laps they could attack them on the straight. Vettel used to be in his on league during the first 3 laps of each race when he was driving his WC winner cars.
If they can match their laptimes, then there will be a bigger difference than 10kmh anyway, because the car at the front will not have DRS vs. the car behind that (under the assumption the gap will be < 1.0 sec) will. But even with DRS vs. a Merc without, the key will be how close that Ferrari can get in dirty air on the run up to those long straights. I'm operating on the assumption that the Merc has quite a bit of downforce, so is quicker through the corners (it has to be, otherwise it wouldn't make up the deficits in straight line speed on the straights), so it probably has a higher corner speed, thus is pulling away at that point. A car overtaking will have to overcome this and be still quick enough to pass before the end of the straight.

Anyway, it's only been practice, so we have differing fuel loads to consider. QF might tell us more, but then we are comparing light car vs light car - however in the race it will be relevant how both Merc and Ferrari compare under full fuel loads (heavy!) and how much performance they can extract from the tyre.
I'm thinking the same, but this also changes IF the Mercedes is eating away its rear tires. Bad drive off that turn before the straight and the Merc will be a sitting duck as well.

dren

The Mercedes shouldn't be eating rear tires at this circuit, it is a front tire limited track.
Honda!

hollus

Those are wonderful "charts", psychemedia! I suggest that you open a new thread to discuss it, specially is you have other similar things.
As for improvements, I can think of 2:
One is to color code the times as in a rainbow from blue to red, something like 15 different color shades from bluest for the fastest to reddest for the slowest going around the rainbow in between. You lose your "pink", but you can still bold the fastest time of each car.
Alternatively, a graph behind the numbers showing the times relative to the fastest lap of that car, the scale could cover only 5 or 10 seconds from there.
What program are you using to make them?
Rivals, not enemies.

f1316
f1316

hollus wrote:Those are wonderful "charts", psychemedia! I suggest that you open a new thread to discuss it, specially is you have other similar things.
As for improvements, I can think of 2:
One is to color code the times as in a rainbow from blue to red, something like 15 different color shades from bluest for the fastest to reddest for the slowest going around the rainbow in between. You lose your "pink", but you can still bold the fastest time of each car.
Alternatively, a graph behind the numbers showing the times relative to the fastest lap of that car, the scale could cover only 5 or 10 seconds from there.
To just add one further suggestion: would be good to group teammates together and/or order the drivers in terms of faster overall laps. Found myself jumping around a bit to compare Ferrari and Mercedes.

Great stuff though! Would upvote if I could.

MrBigglesworth
MrBigglesworth

hattrick wrote:First Practice Session Lap Times.pdf

Second Practice Session Lap Times.pdf

psychemedia
psychemedia

@hollus/@f1316
The colouring I use at the moment is grey for everything except green (driver's best time so far in the session) and purple (best time in session overall so far). The empty circles are outlaps, the dotted circles are pit laps. (If the session is red flagged, it seems from timing sheets that cars that pit don't get timed as they pit?)
Yes - I've been pondering ways of best showing that. It can be a tricky balance trying to make charts that are "glanceable" and ones that require a deeper, more focussed (and skilled) reading whilst still remaining clear and not over cluttered. Sometimes, we need several charts, each revealing something different about the data.
I'm using R and the ggplot2 graphics library. The recipes all end up fully described in leanpub.com/wranglingf1datawithr/ at some point (the session utilisation charts are in a new chapter that I hope to push later today, or tomorrow at the latest).
would be good to group teammates together and/or order the drivers in terms of faster overall laps. Found myself jumping around a bit to compare Ferrari and Mercedes.
Yes - that could be useful; would make it easier to see team strategies and compare drivers in a team more easily....hmmm...

At the moment the vertical y-axis is automatically ordered by name. I've been pondering different orderings, eg order by best laptime, order by order in which cars went out on to track, order by stint count or lap number etc. With team groupings, how would they be ordered? I'm not sure if personal preference will dictate the "best" order, or whether there is something meaningful that can be pulled out of a particular ordering (eg the session classification ordering).

Juzh

Merc PU back on top and generally lower speeds in FP2. Probably some slipstream involved in FP1 for some drivers.

WaikeCU

Probably long runs on FP2 without DRS?

dren

It looks like the Mclarens will be dicing it out with the Lotus duo for as long as their Honda units hold out.
Honda!

windwaves
windwaves

raymondu999 wrote:WTH happened here? Rings of Hockenheim a few years back with a mad priest running on the racetrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7wAomUJ5bQ
someone said the guy crossing was Alonso disguised as a chinese .... he wanted to test Vettel's car. Loved it !!!

atanatizante

Can someone tell, in the case of Lewis, Nico, Seb and Kimi, which tyre they used and also how many laps they did with those race sims in the second part of the FP2 ? coz F1App didn't do that accurately ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Juzh

Button flying lap on mediums from FP2. Nice onboard footage from an actual working mclaren honda. Car looks quite well behaved imo. Honda is seriously lacking in the BHP department.

And RAI on softs

dans79

atanatizante wrote:Can someone tell, in the case of Lewis, Nico, Seb and Kimi, which tyre they used and also how many laps they did with those race sims in the second part of the FP2 ? coz F1App didn't do that accurately ...
This is the best I could find!
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/04/w ... -turn-out/
201 105 104 9 9 7

psychemedia
psychemedia

By the by, a quick chart of long run laptimes and simple models for HAM, ROS, VET and RAI in FP2:

I'm never really sure what we can read into things like this? Which part of the curve do you look to for the model, and why?!