McLaren MP4-31 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Redragon

Re: McLaren MP4-31 Honda

Sky reporters are sensationalist Murdoch style, I would like to hear the rest of the conversation before conclusions.

If they manage today more than 79 laps it would be a positive signal as it would be the number of laps they did last year over the four days

vantage87
vantage87

Abhi719 wrote:Reports Sky Sports News HQ's Rachel Brookes: "Just spoke to Eric Boullier & he told me his first impression of the new McLaren is "not good enough" after suffering a few issues this morning. He did follow up with it is just testing.

:|
from sportinglife.com

Problems at McLaren?
Maybe not yet but it certainly sounds as if team boss Eric Boullier wasn't overly impressed with their morning's work.
“Not good enough," the Frenchman reported to Sky Sports News at lunchtime. "We didn’t have the best mileage, we have had couple of issues in the car.
“Definitely better but we already have suffered one year of pain so this is the minimum we expect.”

the EDGE
the EDGE

Redragon wrote:Sky reporters are sensationalist Murdoch style, I would like to hear the rest of the conversation before conclusions.

If they manage today more than 79 laps it would be a positive signal as it would be the number of laps they did last year over the four days
I have to disagree, last year was a new engine, we know they can do laps already as they have just run a full season proving so. The goal post for this year HAS to be top ten pace, minimum and until we see that there will not be a positive signal

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Abhi719 wrote:Reports Sky Sports News HQ's Rachel Brookes: "Just spoke to Eric Boullier & he told me his first impression of the new McLaren is "not good enough" after suffering a few issues this morning. He did follow up with it is just testing.

:|
That's what you'd expect from McLaren though, pushing to make the car better and playing down expectations. Given last year's testing woes, they've had a reasonable day thus far.
the EDGE wrote:
Redragon wrote:Sky reporters are sensationalist Murdoch style, I would like to hear the rest of the conversation before conclusions.

I have to disagree, last year was a new engine, we know they can do laps already as they have just run a full season proving so. The goal post for this year HAS to be top ten pace, minimum and until we see that there will not be a positive signal
What Honda and McLaren have to do is make sure the overall package works, they discover reliability issues and fix them and then look for pace. They could push the MP4-31 to it's limit and break the PU. That won't give them the kind of data they want. I expect they'll push the Power Unit nearer to the end of the week. And we probably won't know what the MP4-31 and the Honda Power Unit is capable of until the first race where you can't really hide flaws.
Last edited by taperoo2k on 22 Feb 2016, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

So, anybody going to argue why this belongs in the car thread and not in the team thread? I see discussion about team goals and not about the car. Common guys, it is not that hard!
#AeroFrodo

ElDictatore
ElDictatore

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 22 Feb 2016, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GoranF1
GoranF1

Mp4-31 has inovative front suspension.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/revea ... on-674936/
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

vantage87
vantage87

from sportinglife.com

Ted has made his way from the pit lane with a story for all you McLaren fans about their partner Honda's progress:
"While most engine manufacturers are here with their bespoke 2016 engine, with which they intend to do the first few races, that's not the case for Honda.
"The power unit in the back of Button and Alonso's car at this test is effectively a mark I 2016 engine incorporating most of the changes Honda knew they needed to make over the winter.
"There will be another new engine, mark II, which will debut for the second test next week and the result of what they learn between the two specs of power unit will be combined into mark III, that they'll take to race in Melbourne.
"So if it doesn't look brilliant for McLaren early on, don't worry, better engine bits are on the way."

Abhi719
Abhi719

Interesting information coming through TED

"While most engine manufacturers are here with their bespoke 2016 engine, with which they intend to do the first few races, that's not the case for Honda.

"The power unit in the back of Button and Alonso's car at this test is effectively a mark I 2016 engine incorporating most of the changes Honda knew they needed to make over the winter.

"There will be another new engine, mark II, which will debut for the second test next week and the result of what they learn between the two specs of power unit will be combined into mark III, that they'll take to race in Melbourne.

"So if it doesn't look brilliant for McLaren early on, don't worry, better engine bits are on the way."

Jef Patat
Jef Patat

vantage87 wrote:from sportinglife.com

Ted has made his way from the pit lane with a story for all you McLaren fans about their partner Honda's progress:
Does that mean that the mark III will run for the first time in Melbourne? That seems overly simplified.

Sevach
Sevach

Last edited by Sevach on 22 Feb 2016, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules
f1rules

:roll: , incredible that Honda dont have clear idea of which direction to take

Thunder

Another one of the Rear Wing.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

adrianjordan

f1rules wrote::roll: , incredible that Honda dont have clear idea of which direction to take
Is one way of looking at it... Another would be that they're being systematic and making incremental changes rather than massive ones...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️