2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Re: Ferrari SF21

Binotto on testing so far. He is happy with progres with the PU and the SF21. I don’t think Ferrari can match RB or Merc but third place in 2021 must be the target.

Obviously we know how the engine is running on the dyno," said Binotto in Bahrain.

"When you fit it on the car what you may have a look at on track is the speed and eventually the relative speed to the others.

"When we were here last year in Bahrain for the race and for qualifying we’ve been very slow here on the straights – we didn’t enter into Q3 and we were very distant from pole.

"Now if I look at the first days I think at least on the straights the speed is alright. It doesn’t seem to be such a disadvantage as it was last year."

But the Scuderia boss also pointed to optimized aerodynamics on its new SF21 that have led to progress overall.

"We know it’s not only power, it’s the drag of the car as well – as we often said last year – but let me say that both of them contributed in improving our speed on the straights and today we feel it is not anymore a disadvantage."

So far in pre-season testing, Ferrari hasn't delivered any headline lap times, but Binotto nevertheless underscored the "smooth" sessions enjoyed by the team in Bahrain.

"We knew that with only three days it would be very busy and very intense – it has been very busy and intense," he said. "I think so far it has run smoothly.

"The main priority was certainly to understand the car behaviour, mapping in all the conditions, and that is where we focused our energy. I think so far we collected a lot of data."

FDD
FDD

Comparing some data from long stints it looks like SF21 improved about 1,5 sec. in relation to SF1000 race pace.
Interesting is that in the morning session today (day 3) Perez clocked 1'30 "309 scored on C3 and Leclerc 1'30" 486 also on C3 .
Bearing in mind that there is now data about fuel level on these long stints and fast laps on the tests.
Ferrari is improved for sure question is how much improve the others.

Also from all pictures and videos that I watched I noticed that Ferrari run a lot of wings (maybe I am wrong I do not have opportunity to watch full coverage). They are undercover all they lost a lot of downforce with the restrictions on the floor/diffuser and they must run a lot of wings.

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

FDD wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 23:21
Comparing some data from long stints it looks like SF21 improved about 1,5 sec. in relation to SF1000 race pace.
Interesting is that in the morning session today (day 3) Perez clocked 1'30 "309 scored on C3 and Leclerc 1'30" 486 also on C3 .
Bearing in mind that there is now data about fuel level on these long stints and fast laps on the tests.
Ferrari is improved for sure question is how much improve the others.

Also from all pictures and videos that I watched I noticed that Ferrari run a lot of wings (maybe I am wrong I do not have opportunity to watch full coverage). They are undercover all they lost a lot of downforce with the restrictions on the floor/diffuser and they must run a lot of wings.
Ferrari running with lot bigger rear wing than any leading teams

wowgr8
wowgr8

Kimi Raikkonen, even on the C5 compound, a softer grade than the compound that was used in the 2020 weekend and will be used in the 2021 qualification (C4), arrived just 2 tenths off last season's pole; Carlos Sainz, on a C4 compound, came in just over 4 tenths. All the other teams, except Williams, and not counting Alpha Tauri who today carried out their qualifying simulations with Tsunoda, not respecting the official DRS zones (the activation took place several tens of meters before), are far beyond the second. Red Bull 1.2 seconds, Mercedes even 2.7 seconds due to the lack of balance found at empty tanks (much better in terms of race pace), Mclaren 1.6 and Alpine 1.9 seconds
Not sure how to interpret this info

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 10:24
Kimi Raikkonen, even on the C5 compound, a softer grade than the compound that was used in the 2020 weekend and will be used in the 2021 qualification (C4), arrived just 2 tenths off last season's pole; Carlos Sainz, on a C4 compound, came in just over 4 tenths. All the other teams, except Williams, and not counting Alpha Tauri who today carried out their qualifying simulations with Tsunoda, not respecting the official DRS zones (the activation took place several tens of meters before), are far beyond the second. Red Bull 1.2 seconds, Mercedes even 2.7 seconds due to the lack of balance found at empty tanks (much better in terms of race pace), Mclaren 1.6 and Alpine 1.9 seconds
Not sure how to interpret this info
Its testing. Cars don't even have to be legal. I don't think they are doing glory runs, probably testing something we are not aware of.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

Ferrari using drs relatively late and then closing it much earlier...
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Ferrari have consistently used larger wings, smallest drs times (consistently) and low rakes (when we all know its a medium-highrake car)...
The hell are they thinking over there :wtf:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Jambier

So, I think testing was good for Ferrari, they kept the head down, worked, it seem decent.
I don't know if it will be enough to fight for podium, but this year will definitely better than 2020 !

But still, I think P3 in constructor is the best possible thing, Red Bull seem very strong, and Mercedes will be as well.

A McLaren / Ferrari / (Aston ?) fight for P3 ?

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Yeah I think the same. Lets see!!
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1316
f1316

ryaan2904 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 11:22

Ferrari using drs relatively late and then closing it much earlier...
...and using a large rear wing and still Leclerc was 2nd in the speed trap (behind only Tsunoda who was opening DRS too early). One does wonder if they’re trying to keep just how much they’ve improved the PU under wraps...

aleks_ader

Would be funny if Ferrari find another loophole before engine freeze. That would be 200IQ play.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

wowgr8
wowgr8

Italian sources say the PU improvement is "excellent", highlighted by Alfa's performance. In 2 weeks we get our confirmation. Great reliability as well

J0ker

I think that, in the years before, when the engine wasn't the problem, Ferrari problem was with tire temperatures what was connected with aerodynamics. I hope that this problem doesn't repeat this year.
"Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity, all it takes is a little push."

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

The same Italian sources say there has been atleast a 'greater than 40 hp' increase to the pu
CFD Eyes of Sauron

JPower
JPower

ryaan2904 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 16:16
The same Italian sources say there has been atleast a 'greater than 40 hp' increase to the pu
I don't doubt it.

Sainz was .4 off of Leclerc's quali time at last year's race in Bahrain yesterday. He's not close to figuring that car out and they weren't pushing things 100%. If they can sort out the traction problems I was seeing, the car will be quick.