Ferrari SF21

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Ferrari SF21

Mr.G wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 22:49
Interesting aerorack - pitot tubes at different angles instead of classic "grid" formation. Is this new or did I just miss something last years?
Ferrari used this aero rake in Abu Dhabi testing last year for the first time.

https://scuderiafans.com/what-ferraris- ... 21-f1-car/

Italian media claimed that a huge amount of resources and time went into this innovative rake.

Mr.G

Thanks! I've checked Mercedes' rack from today's test day and their pitot tubes are also at different angles, despite of "grid" layout...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Ferrari powered cars run with much bigger rear wings than year ago. Very strange

FDD
FDD

Carl Mccoy wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 01:23
Ferrari powered cars run with much bigger rear wings than year ago. Very strange
Maybe they have appreciable power gain with ICE on one side and at the same time they were with full tanks and/or they are sandbagging. We have to wait for results from all 3 days for any realistic analyze.

FDD
FDD

Mr.G wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 00:39
Thanks! I've checked Mercedes' rack from today's test day and their pitot tubes are also at different angles, despite of "grid" layout...
Yes I also noticed that but I think that they are not anywhere close with complexity to those on Ferrari.

Sevach
Sevach

FDD wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 01:39
Carl Mccoy wrote:
Maybe they have appreciable power gain with ICE on one side and at the same time they were with full tanks and/or they are sandbagging. We have to wait for results from all 3 days for any realistic analyze.
For what it's worth...
https://racingnews365.com/gene-ferrari- ... st-in-2021

Rear suspension isn't a Mercedes copy, but seems like the lower rear triangle arm has been pushed backwards and upwards and enveloped together with the driveshaft.

The new fw makes use of the "adjuster trick" where the inner part of the top flap is more aggressively angled than the outer part.
Last edited by Sevach on 13 Mar 2021, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

FDD wrote:
Carl Mccoy wrote:
There is no point for the teams to “sandbag” there is nothing to gain by doing so.

Full tanks of fuel, lower power modes, etc could definitely be at play, but those are used not to “mask” their performance, simply because it helps analyze better changes in setup by limiting factors... It’s a myth that teams purposely hide their performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Has anyone seen footage? We don’t have access in Australia thanks to our good mate Rupert Murdoch having exclusive rights.

How does the Ferrari look on track? Leclerc sounded positive. Times aren’t lighting up the timing screens, which could be great - a more methodical, focused approach to testing instead of blasting a quick time on day 1.

Overall, positive first day.

Sevach
Sevach

JPBD1990 wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 02:37
Has anyone seen footage? We don’t have access in Australia thanks to our good mate Rupert Murdoch having exclusive rights.

How does the Ferrari look on track? Leclerc sounded positive. Times aren’t lighting up the timing screens, which could be great - a more methodical, focused approach to testing instead of blasting a quick time on day 1.

I didn't watch much, some traction struggles maybe... but looked like an ok balance to me.
Carlos was driving btw, so also some learning curve with a new team, PU and chassis.

Scorpaguy

JPBD1990 wrote:

Not much to see/determine at this stage. I would say the livery looks better on track than it did in the staged photos.

C Plinius Secundus
C Plinius Secundus

Scorpaguy wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 03:23
JPBD1990 wrote:

Not much to see/determine at this stage. I would say the livery looks better on track than it did in the staged photos.
Yes, that's right, not much to see in general, the car looked stable, but nobody really pushed. Sainz had a spin in the same turn as Verstappen did. The track was very complicated, the sandstorm was quite strong, and rendered it very slippery. By the way, how much would that affect the life span of the engines the teams brought to Bahrain?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Engines are filtered pretty well even in F1 cars, but the radiators, aero surfaces, brakes and things like the wheel bearings will have taken a hammering.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Carl Mccoy wrote:
Alfa and Haas didn't compromise their rear wing setups to account for the lost power iirc, they almost always ran big rear wings except at the low df tracks. Ferrari on the other hand, I wouldn't read into the wing at testing, they're not competing with anyone yet, if they get to a race weekend and are losing 2 tenths per straight then they'll switch to the spoon wing
Sevach wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 01:57

Rear suspension isn't a Mercedes copy, but seems like the lower rear triangle arm has been pushed backwards and upwards and enveloped together with the driveshaft.
So more Red Bull style? Do you think the aero benefit will still be sizeable? Or will it be smaller than we saw with the Mercedes?

Also, Ferrari apparently spent their tokens on the gearbox/gearbox casing, how are they then allowed to play with the suspension like this? Doesn't changing rear suspension require a different set of tokens? I don't understand the token system fully

Morteza

Scarbs wrote:Ferrari running lights and cameras to look at the gap between the rear tyres and diffuser, as the tyre flex and deform.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwKEnCkXAAE ... =4096x4096

I have a question, regarding rear suspension. In the picture marked in green, is it from sf1000?
In that case SF21 is huge upgrade, it would be interesting to see old suspention, still used on Alfa this year?