McLaren MCL36

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mclaren111

Re: McLaren MCL36

the EDGE
the EDGE

I was literally just reading that… Interesting what he says about the rear suspension
But the placement of the new venturi exits is quite different and has triggered McLaren into a reassessment, with the rockers now moved up out of the way – for the exact same reason as they were lowered under the old regs!

jjn9128

Not sure if it's been mentioned but the studio shots are clearly doctored along the edge of the floor - and the MTC car had some plastic sheeting covering the floor edge. Similarly the front wing on the studio shots and MTC cars are different - the MTC car looking closer to the aston martin nose and front wing intersection than the other car. The chord across the span also varies while the studio shot the 4 elements stay consistent across their span.

Much more to come from this.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Emag
Emag

What I am struggling to understand about this car, is how the tire wake is managed.

Haas uses the front part of the sidepod to create a wall that pushes the dirty air away, and they are sloped to guide the cleaner air on the right down towards the diffuser.

Aston uses their entire sidepods to create a shield from the wake, with a massive undercut below to provide clean air to the diffuser.

McLaren does seemingly nothing?! to push the tire wake away from the car. No bargeboards there to help, and can't see many clever vortices that can help that much.

This is what's concerning me now, but surely the engineers who developed the concept know better than some totally unqualified enthusiast.
Last edited by Emag on 12 Feb 2022, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

djos

The cat and mouse games the teams play never cease to generate intrigue! Dam I love F1 launch season! 😍
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

Emag wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 12:40
What I am struggling to understand about this car, is how the tire wake is managed.

Haas uses the front part of the sidepod to create a wall that pushes the dirty air away, and they are sloped to guide the cleaner air on the right down towards the diffuser.

Aston uses their entire sidepods to create a shield from the wake, with a massive undercut below to provide clean air to the diffuser.

MaLaren does seemingly nothing?! to push the tire wake away from the car. No bargeboards there to help, and can't see many clever vortices that can help that much.

This is what's concerning me now, but surely the engineers who developed the concept know better than some totally unqualified enthusiast.
Agreed, I've also been pondering this question... obviously they have explored this crucial aspect of the frontal wake management, maybe there's more to come

jjn9128

Emag wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 12:40

McLaren does seemingly nothing?! to push the tire wake away from the car. No bargeboards there to help, and can't see many clever vortices that can help that much.

I reckon the detail around the front bib/boat keel is key (badum-tsh). Basically they're funnelling air up through the gap to the base of the sidepod - which has an aggressive outward face. That pushes air to the edge of the floor where there will be a wing which is hidden in the launch photos.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Marc.W

djos

Marc.W wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 13:10
Awesome, I’ve been waiting for Kyle to provide his assessment of the MCL36!
"In downforce we trust"

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

MrGapes

MrGapes

DiogoBrand

Martin Keene wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 11:56
PhillipM wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:06
That's not the race rear wing is it, there nowhere for the DRS to actually hinge from, hiding something or still waiting on the real one from production?
Will have to ask around
Yes, I noticed that too. The DRS pod is there, but there is no actual DRS in the rear wing, so I suspect the rear wing is from the show car, and they have yet to show us the real one.
The front wing is way too basic as well. Most likely not the real thing

akshat21
akshat21

Ex Mercedes aerodynamicist analyzing the mcl33.

PlatinumZealot

Jolle wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 00:43
I must say, now I see the pull rod front in the flesh (or well, on the render) it looks like they have given it a better angle then the Ferrari's from 2013-2015-ish. I'm a lot less sceptical about it now.
It is often forgotten that the 2013 McLaren had front pull rods too. The car was so slow a lot of people, including me did care to remember it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028