Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: Ferrari SF-24

2160p captures, there should be no compression/loss of quality involved. I think maybe kyle engineers would have preferred these for his own video

KimiRai
KimiRai

Are these two anything new by chance or just seeing things?

Last edited by KimiRai on 15 Feb 2024, 06:44, edited 10 times in total.

LM10
LM10

KimiRai wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 00:12
2160p captures, there should be no compression/loss of quality involved. I think maybe kyle engineers would have preferred these for his own video

https://i.imgur.com/5AOOweM.jpeg
Isn't this a channel with a hole inside in the rear part of the floor?

KimiRai
KimiRai

deleted
Last edited by KimiRai on 15 Feb 2024, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vinlarr89 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 00:01
I think it’s all a case of time will tell once testing starts. I was originally disappointed in the car as it does look simpler compared to the likes of the AMR and what we’ve previously seen from RBR. HOWEVER.

I think reflecting, it’s probably a good thing. Like many have said on here already, it gives them so many different directions to tweak the car towards.

Looking at the car in testing, visibly no propoising, car looks to rotate better and less understeer, if it carries better speed through the corners, it needs to be less aggressive in the exit and entry points which save tyres?

I think the floor and sidepods will be the focus areas for development for the season, whereas last season nearly everything needed changing and understanding again half way through the season.
Last year i believe they made actually 0 improvement in terms of pure aero performance. The upgrade they brought in Spain actually showed a decrease in overall DWF.

So yeah hopefully everything works as intended this time and they can actually improve the performance of the car.

FDD
FDD

f1316 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 23:45
FDD wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 22:56
Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 22:41
For all the complaints of the launch car being simple, it's now clear why not going fully committed with a single type of inlet solution was the right thing to do. Every other Top 5 car features a different inlet philosophy and Alpine has a peculiar arch tunnel in the undercut, so now Ferrari can gather info and chose the best way for their future development direction.

On top of that, their sidepods can likely be shrink wrapped a bit. Both of those developments are completely minor, but they left themselves a lot of room to switch development direction if they want to, not sure RB and AMR will be able to do that. And again, the floor is where the magic happens, so they can now focus on developing it for more performance instead of drivability only.
Finally reasonable post/explanation about "the launch car being simple" :)
And in addition to "simple", the other criticism has been "swimming against the suspension trend". I think there are reasons to suggest that Ferrari's prior suspension was mechanically superior (i.e. performance on over curbs e.g. Singapore, Vegas) and so if they feel they can find the aero benefits in non-suspension-related ways, it feels odd for this to be characterised as "risky" (it would be more risky to change that imho).
Actually I can not understand how they find it simple. "Suspension trend", who is th trend setter?? SF24 is :)

Vanja #66

Just a gentle reminder of a message from our forum mods, everyone please stay on topic of technical discussion and refrain from livery, lap time discussions, etc, especially about other cars!

hollus wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 14:40
Posts talking about gained tenths have been deleted or will be shortly. The posters got (get) the text back, you are welcome to post them in the team thread.
As usual every year at this time:
a) Welcome to all the newbies!
b) No lap times, no track or championship position, no winning and losing in the car threads. Only hardware here, winning and losing goes in the team threads. Thanks.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

What are these bumps on the floor anyway? I thought maybe stiffeners but they're blunt at the front and then blended rearwards.

Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

gordonthegun

The new front suspension:

Vanja #66

Owen.C93 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 14:38
What are these bumps on the floor anyway? I thought maybe stiffeners but they're blunt at the front and then blended rearwards.

https://i.imgur.com/VzONgbt.png

https://i.imgur.com/962mcGG.png
Not bumps, metal brackets for the floor edge
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

gordonthegun wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 14:41
The new front suspension:

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... sf-24.webp
It seems like they have relatively bulky front suspension arms. But I believe historically, Ferrari has been like this in the last couple of years.

Compared to the RedBull in particular it's very noticeable.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 14:48
Owen.C93 wrote:

That's not where the slot gap is though. Seems a very strange shape for when others have used wire supports to stiffen up that corner feature between tunnel and outer floor.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

scuderiabrandon

Owen.C93 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 16:25
Vanja #66 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 14:48
Owen.C93 wrote:

That's not where the slot gap is though. Seems a very strange shape for when others have used wire supports to stiffen up that corner feature between tunnel and outer floor.
That part of the floor is detached aka the edge wing. Those metal brackets are there to satisfy the regulations. Other teams use thinner brackets, Ferrari use more thicker streamlined brackets. Nothing to speculate over, standard stuff.

ing.

Xyz22 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 23:08
^^ This shows pretty clearly that, contrary to Piola sketch on it.Motorsport (used as the reference here), not only has the upper wishbone forward pick-up been moved up (red dot) but the lower wishbone forward pick-up (lower red dot) has also been moved up, as I would have expected.

I say “would have expected” because as shown here it appears SF-24 maintains a similar level of anti-dive effect as last year’s car despite having the wishbone pivot axes inclined in RB fashion:

Also noticeable is how relatively low the Instant Center (IC) is and how small is the anti-dive effect—shown by de-composing the braking force into the force fed into the sprung mass and the force acting to lessen the compression load on the suspension (in the opposite direction of the tire contact patch trajectory).

All this assumes that the rear pickups have not been lowered, but if they have—for obvious aero reasons—then the anti-drive effect will be further lessened.

I never could understand why this trend of inclined wishbones became known as “anti-dive” because it’s just the opposite. As shown here, a horizontally pivoted upper wishbone with aft-inclined lower wishbone results in a much greater anti-dive effect:

Angling the upper wishbone similarly would result in even more anti-drive effect. So what a lot of “tech writers” are calling ‘anti-dive’ on the current batch of F1’s should, in fact, be calling the design ‘anti-anti-dive’.

All this to say that the next time you read an article that mentions anti-dive to describe the inclined wishbones, know that the author doesn’t really know what he/she is talking about. :wink:

FDD
FDD

ing. wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 17:38
Xyz22 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 23:08
^^ This shows pretty clearly that, contrary to Piola sketch on it.Motorsport (used as the reference here), not only has the upper wishbone forward pick-up been moved up (red dot) but the lower wishbone forward pick-up (lower red dot) has also been moved up, as I would have expected.

I say “would have expected” because as shown here it appears SF-24 maintains a similar level of anti-dive effect as last year’s car despite having the wishbone pivot axes inclined in RB fashion:

https://i.imgur.com/IGMSQPx.jpeg%5b

Also noticeable is how relatively low the Instant Center (IC) is and how small is the anti-dive effect—shown by de-composing the braking force into the force fed into the sprung mass and the force acting to lessen the compression load on the suspension (in the opposite direction of the tire contact patch trajectory).

All this assumes that the rear pickups have not been lowered, but if they have—for obvious aero reasons—then the anti-drive effect will be further lessened.

I never could understand why this trend of inclined wishbones became known as “anti-dive” because it’s just the opposite. As shown here, a horizontally pivoted upper wishbone with aft-inclined lower wishbone results in a much greater anti-dive effect:

https://i.imgur.com/BowZHzx.jpeg%5b

Angling the upper wishbone similarly would result in even more anti-drive effect. So what a lot of “tech writers” are calling ‘anti-dive’ on the current batch of F1’s should, in fact, be calling the design ‘anti-anti-dive’.

All this to say that the next time you read an article that mentions anti-dive to describe the inclined wishbones, know that the author doesn’t really know what he/she is talking about. :wink:
Yes You expected that and your expectations were right :)