McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: McLaren MCL38

Tomsky wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 14:17
organic wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 14:01
f1rules wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 14:00
no more pics or video according to the source on twitter, i wrote him, just one outing and back in. Williams, alpine expected on track tomorrow
McLaren used their filming day (200km) at Silverstone. Maybe they used their shakedown (15km) today
Two shooting days are allowed. The total distance is 400 km.
Indeed but if they only did one outing and went back into the garage, I'm merely speculating that today they just used their 15km shakedown and saved the second 200km filming day for later in the year. I don't think a single team has used 2 filming days or plans to before Bahrain testing

f1rules
f1rules

and i understood correctly, they could have run say 150km in silverstone and then saved the last milleage for here, but im unsure if thats actually how it works

edit

actually the guy said 3pics and a video, and since probably 1 picture at the time, it could be the 3 laps for shakedown

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 01:03
Emag wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 00:39
With testing almost upon us, I wanted to review one of Andrea's recent comments one last time regarding the work done on the car over the winter. So, recently McLaren posted this article : https://www.mclaren.com/racing/formula- ... o-round-1/

And Andrea is shown to be quite optimistic on targets hit over the winter, with a particular sentence catching my eye. When asked where the car would have improved when it hits the track on Bahrain, he says that he can't think of a single area which wasn't improved over the winter.

Now that makes sense if the target is Bahrain spec MCL60, but given how the article develops later, it's safe to assume he means improvement on how the car left 2023 in Abu Dhabi.

Now looking back last year after the first real big upgrade which turned the car around to a consistent #2 contender after RedBull, it was interesting to look at this track map :

https://i.ibb.co/J2vbjtk/image.png

The first standout here is that McLaren at Silverstone last year, already had the best car when it comes to fast sections, with a more pronounced advantage on medium-ish speed corners. That hints towards a very "healthy" aerodynamic package when it comes to peak load, and perhaps could be a reason why the aero package did not change significantly this year (what ain't broke, don't fix it).

But the next big standout, which is more relevant for this year's car targets, is how the car keeps a relatively stable gap to RedBull on slower sections on the track, but it plummets on the slowest point in Silverstone at T3-T5.

This is a corner complex which really outline a car's capabilities on braking-induced rotation. A particular big area of weakness for McLaren in the last couple of years. And this, at least in my opinion, is where a very good mechanical platform is needed.

My guess is that McLaren last year, after their major upgrade, had a pretty good aero package, perhaps on par with the best when it comes to peak load. However they were lacking consistency of this aero package under different conditions (bumps, temperature etc ...)

This year, it seems the car has undergone mechanical changes under the hood, with very visible suspension changes externally (with a more pronounced anti-dive front suspension, and anti-squat rear suspension layout). And I think the biggest areas to keep an eye for McLaren at the Bahrain test, would be their performance on corners such as T3-T5 complex in Silverstone.

Basically, low speed car rotation.

I feel like T1 in Bahrain is more of a "stop and go" kind of corner, so I believe a better indicator for performance on this trait would be their rotation on T8 and T10.

Of course, there is only so much you can extrapolate from testing, but I guess when we finally get racing in 2 weeks time, we will have the ultimate test with comparisons to the other teams as well. Let's see if Andreas' words will hold up after R1.
The main weakness of the Mсl 60 at the end of the season was the speed on the straights.
The data shows that the MCL60 didn't struggle with top speed after Singapore, other than when DRS was open. The car was amongst the highest speed on the the straights.

Other than that the issues were with low speed corners and low DF configurations where the airflow was lower than the cars aero needed to be able to deal with it, as well as some issues in the very slowest corners where the tyres didn't handle in a way that we could get the most out of the car.

Given the need for the V Profile driving style in the corners, you'd think that in some slow speed corners that floor simply stopped working well.

The suspension layout at the front and rear of the the car, the more dramatic change of the two happening at the front, will adapt how the platform behaves under these conditions and hopefully begin to resolve this.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Venturiation
Venturiation

f1rules
f1rules

and this

"And McLaren now also has a rear axle that works with specially arranged torsion bars instead of disc springs."

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1rules wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 15:01
and this

"And McLaren now also has a rear axle that works with specially arranged torsion bars instead of disc springs."
like RB

f1rules
f1rules

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The floor edge on the filming day in Bahrain is interesting to say the least.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Another shot. Judging from the wet tyres, lack of sponsors visible and background it’s probably from silverstone.

Marc.W

trinidefender wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 19:05
Another shot. Judging from the wet tyres, lack of sponsors visible and background it’s probably from silverstone.

It's the MCL36 I believe, Team did a few warm up days for the drivers at Barcelona

_cerber1

_cerber1

And again, we see a correction in the slowest corner of the track. No, I know what kind of tires were used today, I would like to believe that this is not a trend.

Marc.W

_cerber1 wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 21:09
And again, we see a correction in the slowest corner of the track. No, I know what kind of tires were used today, I would like to believe that this is not a trend.
I don't think you can read too much in to it, completely new suspension geometry to learn a setup for, outlap so coldish tyres.

Emag
Emag

_cerber1 wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 21:09
That doesn't mean anything on a lap like this. Still, if anything, it looks like he turned in too early and didn't anticipate the grip.

Luscion
Luscion

Tomsky wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 14:17
organic wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 14:01
f1rules wrote:
19 Feb 2024, 14:00
no more pics or video according to the source on twitter, i wrote him, just one outing and back in. Williams, alpine expected on track tomorrow
McLaren used their filming day (200km) at Silverstone. Maybe they used their shakedown (15km) today
Two shooting days are allowed. The total distance is 400 km.
According to Formu1aUno, Mclaren have used up their 400km total distance today - https://formu1a.uno/mclaren-e-haas-hann ... lming-day/