COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

WhiteBlue

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

WilliamsF1 wrote:Wish he had connected turn 12 to 15 rather (with woodcote) than the Hockenheim which ends with a hairpin at 15. Other than turn 15 the circuit looks good and fast (too bad there is no banked corner).
Connecting 12 and 15 would destroy the overtaking chance of the mega long straight. One slow complex is probably necessary as a concession to the sponsors or Bernie would have rioted.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Wish he had connected turn 12 to 15 rather (with woodcote) than the Hockenheim which ends with a hairpin at 15. Other than turn 15 the circuit looks good and fast (too bad there is no banked corner).
Connecting 12 and 15 would destroy the overtaking chance of the mega long straight. One slow complex is probably necessary as a concession to the sponsors or Bernie would have rioted.
Agreed. But the first half of the circuit looks so old school and then the second half is Tilke ludicrous handiwork.

raymondu999

They say that Turn 1 is their signature corner, an uphill hairpin, Doesn't that make it like Bahrain Turn 4 anyways?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

godlameroso

There should be slight banking throughout the circuit, this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to drive. A bunch of fast and medium speed technical corners with 4 hairpins to give people the chance to pass, what's not to like? I think the elevation changes if used accordingly can make the curves interesting.
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

Maybe they threw in a few bumps while they were at it? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ecapox

Turn 1 is heavily uphill. That might be pretty interesting. Overall i do like the layout and the 3D layout makes me like it even more.

raymondu999

I'd have thought from the image that Turn 1 is downhill. The run up to Turn 1 is uphill, then it starts going downhill on the exit. No?

I've always wondered. Do they design tracks with having an obvious racing line in mind, or do they just go out and design a racing track, then let the drivers worry about the racing line?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Paul

I wish it was in scale, but turn/kink 10 looks exciting.

FW17

As they were taking corners from other tracks, turn 11 should have been parabolica

donskar
donskar

Of course, since we all have extensive experience designing courses, all of us could do better :roll: -- but this looks like it will at least be an above average course. I do think the course "in the flesh" will be attractive. Austin (except during the VERY hot part of the year) has a great ambience, plenty of green space, and is overall an attractive city with MANY restaurants, shops, and other points of interest. This course should help all of us forget Detrait, Las Vegas, et al.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

Large scale PDF

I'm a bit dissapointed by the lack of elevation changes. There is one dramatical change in turn one and the rest is rather level. From early statements I expected more but the pictures and the video from the site agree more with the 3D plan. At least it is more than Silverstone probably.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Neno
Neno

I'm a very dissapointed with layout! This is very slow track. Two-three-four corners needs to disappear for normaly racing!

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Unimaginative and Mickey Mouse is all I can describe it as. Typical Tilke-drome.

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

WilliamsF1 wrote: Other than turn 15 the circuit looks good and fast (too bad there is no banked corner).
Why would you want the corners banked ? yes fun to drive but not really the biggest challenge.

Give us off chamber, blind, top of a rise, downhill, decreasing radius or just corners with multiple options and a mix of all of the above. Test the drivers and the engineers to bring the best out in a race rather than a procession.