Is McLaren really off the pace?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Re: Is McLaren really off the pace?

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 07 Mar 2011, 23:04, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed quote and response to it. please stick to topic
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Please get back on topic; which is asking if the McLarens are off pace in comparison to the other top teams heading into the last test of the pre-season. Feel free to [objectively] analyze lap times, stints, tyres, upgrades, etc, to discuss how and why they are or are not "off the pace."

Otherwise this is just another hijacked thread and will be closed or cleaned up as necessary without warning.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

wunderkind
wunderkind

I think the biggest disadvantage of most post-Newey McLarens is the lack of (usable)downforce relative to their competitors. I often wondered why it's the case? McLaren has experienced a rather high turnover of lead aerodynamicists (Lacey, McKiernan, Iley) in recent years and I wonder if it's the underlying design philosophy at McLaren that is the root of the problem. Though I must say I don't think the "design-by-committee" ethos is the problem.

I don't doubt for a second that McLaren is the best team in developing the car throughout the season. But they really haven't produced a car that is quick out-of-the-box for some years now. They always find themselves having to play catch-up with Red-Bull and Ferrari.

dren

It's certainly not for the team's lack of innovation. Does the car really lack that much downforce compared to the competition? Surely everyone else is down on downforce as well. I am curious where exactly this new Mclaren stands when compared to the competition. It looks like they are quite a ways back. Even Williams and Toro Rosso look better.
Honda!

chasefreak
chasefreak

dren wrote:It's certainly not for the team's lack of innovation. Does the car really lack that much downforce compared to the competition? Surely everyone else is down on downforce as well. I am curious where exactly this new Mclaren stands when compared to the competition. It looks like they are quite a ways back. Even Williams and Toro Rosso look better.

dats wat i term sandBAGGING :)

dren

I certainly hope so, but I don't think they are.
Honda!

Alge7a
Alge7a

[quote="wunderkind"]I think the biggest disadvantage of most post-Newey McLarens is the lack of (usable)downforce relative to their competitors. I often wondered why it's the case? McLaren has experienced a rather high turnover of lead aerodynamicists (Lacey, McKiernan, Iley) in recent years and I wonder if it's the underlying design philosophy at McLaren that is the root of the problem. Though I must say I don't think the "design-by-committee" ethos is the problem.

I don't doubt for a second that McLaren is the best team in developing the car throughout the season. But they really haven't produced a car that is quick out-of-the-box for some years now. They always find themselves having to play catch-up with Red-Bull and

When Newey was asked about last years McLaren prior to the first race, his reply was short and blunt, and as it turned out correct
" it looks too complicated to me" . Again when you look at this years car it's very stylish and fills up the pages in media space but the central section of the car feeding back looks very tricky compared to the RB. Not as organic. Let's see what McLaren throw on the car in the last two days of testing.

Florio
Florio

I know you cannot read too much due to differing fuel loads, but Jenson at second three tenths off of Webbers time and bettering their previous best on the first day. I know you can't take much from this, but I don't think they are midfield.

CHT
CHT

Florio wrote:I know you cannot read too much due to differing fuel loads, but Jenson at second three tenths off of Webbers time and bettering their previous best on the first day. I know you can't take much from this, but I don't think they are midfield.
Best of the rest perhaps?

Pup
Pup

[continued from "McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes"]...so even though it's unlikely that they'll catch up with Red Bull, Ferrari is certainly in their sites, but what I found really interesting...[continued in "McLaren 2011"]

Tamburello
Tamburello

Does Button's recent comments, e.g. “I will be surprised if we can match the Red Bull or Ferrari when we get to Melbourne, that’s a big ask considering the mileage we’ve had compared to them and the pace from the last test. It’s going to be tricky but never say never", confirm that McLaren is off the pace, or no?

forty-two

Last edited by mx_tifoso on 09 Mar 2011, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed post as it was a response to something that was edited out. please have respect for others.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

Alge7a
Alge7a

So Brundles take on the McLaren after today is " a mess" . Pretty tough words. Without seeing footage it's hard to Gage what Brundle is basing this on. Jordan's point is that the McLaren design concept of two designers rotating each year is not in step with the new regulations of limited testing etc. Anyone? Bueller?

forty-two

Alge7a wrote:So Brundles take on the McLaren after today is " a mess" . Pretty tough words. Without seeing footage it's hard to Gage what Brundle is basing this on. Jordan's point is that the McLaren design concept of two designers rotating each year is not in step with the new regulations of limited testing etc. Anyone? Bueller?
I think that was Brundle's opinion after the last test. Do you have a link to the article you got this from? I for one would like to read it.
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

wunderkind
wunderkind

Alge7a wrote:So Brundles take on the McLaren after today is " a mess" . Pretty tough words. Without seeing footage it's hard to Gage what Brundle is basing this on. Jordan's point is that the McLaren design concept of two designers rotating each year is not in step with the new regulations of limited testing etc. Anyone? Bueller?
I think the MP4-26 is exhiibiting the typical symptoms of lack of downforce and instability (Brundle remarked the car did not stop well, did not turn well, and could not put power down onto the tarmac). Correct me if I'm wrong, but with this year's control weight distribution. The main cause MUST be aerodynamics. The packaging of engine/KERS/transmission/suspensions should not be a problem given McLaren's - Neil Oatley's - expertise in this area. I'm not sure the wheel-base is such an issue as most teams are still experimenting.

I think either McLaren is still running a basic aerodynamic package in order to assess mechanical set-up's and tyre behaviuours (unlikely, it's a bit late) OR McLaren is really going up the proverbial without a paddle (most probably the case).