Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Re: Ferrari F138

Can be seen in the BBC coverage (iPlayer) that his top flap doesn't close at the end of the first DRS zone on lap 5, he continues with it open for that lap and the next before pitting...
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Alonso Fan

Matt Somers wrote:Can be seen in the BBC coverage (iPlayer) that his top flap doesn't close at the end of the first DRS zone on lap 5, he continues with it open for that lap and the next before pitting...
and in the highlights on bbc. he doesn't lose as much time as expected in the corners. the gap to di resta is maintained. if he lost the time he should have done in the corners with no or little rear downforce, di resta would have been past very quickly, but he wasn't.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

wesley123
wesley123

Okay let me explain how Di Resta couldnt overtake;

1. On the straight alonso is much, much faster due to the open DRS. He therefore pulls away from Di Resta.
2. Then when the corner approaches Alonso has to break earlier for the turn, partially due to the lack of rear df and partially because of his higher top speed.
3. Alonso has build up a sufficient gap on the straight before.
4. Alonso turns into the corner, albeit with a much lower speed, he just takes the corner as you normally would.
5. Di Resta cannot overtake because of that.
6. The same repeats itself in the next turn.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Alonso Fan

wesley123 wrote:Okay let me explain how Di Resta couldnt overtake;

1. On the straight alonso is much, much faster due to the open DRS. He therefore pulls away from Di Resta.
2. Then when the corner approaches Alonso has to break earlier for the turn, partially due to the lack of rear df and partially because of his higher top speed.
3. Alonso has build up a sufficient gap on the straight before.
4. Alonso turns into the corner, albeit with a much lower speed, he just takes the corner as you normally would.
5. Di Resta cannot overtake because of that.
6. The same repeats itself in the next turn.
ok, i watched it again and i can see your point.

still, Alonso is a very good driver to keep it on the track
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I recorded 11 minutes of onboard From Alonso's car that begins at the start of the race and ends when he pits.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1JEQDZ5IyA[/youtube]

You can clearly see when the DRS gets stuck via Alonsos input and the general poor handling of the car, as well as the early opening where he has massive acceleration out of the last corner when first overtaking Rosberg.

Towards the end of the video the camera also switches to a rear view to show what the wing is doing.

Alonso Fan

GrizzleBoy wrote:I recorded 11 minutes of onboard From Alonso's car that begins at the start of the race and ends when he pits.

You can clearly see when the DRS gets stuck via Alonsos input and the general poor handling of the car, as well as the early opening where he has massive acceleration out of the last corner when first overtaking Rosberg.

Towards the end of the video the camera also switches to a rear view to show what the wing is doing.
yep, that's true, the car handling is very poor. but good work from alonso :)
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Yeah, he basically had to drift the car around the slow corners :shock:

turbof1

It looks bad, but nothing worse then someone on degraded tyres.
#AeroFrodo

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

F138 FW analysis from Gary Anderson

via AutoSport

timbo
timbo

Alonso Fan wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:I recorded 11 minutes of onboard From Alonso's car that begins at the start of the race and ends when he pits.

Interesting is that when it first hit him he was very busy at the wheel and he made a lot of adjustments on brake balance and also some tweak on the steering wheel, and from then it didn't look that bad.

SiLo

Can't believe people are saying he should have stopped. What about when people lose parts of front wings? Or entire front wings? How many years have teams had spare ones so that their drivers complete the lap without said part, then come in and get a new one?

Teams can also replace entire rear wings if they want to, just takes a lot longer. Teams tell drivers to stop when they fear the engine will blow and leave oil over the track, which is a real danger to other drivers and the possibility of fire in the engine bay, a DRS getting stuck open isn't such a big deal.
Felipe Baby!

Alonso Fan

SiLo wrote:Can't believe people are saying he should have stopped. What about when people lose parts of front wings? Or entire front wings? How many years have teams had spare ones so that their drivers complete the lap without said part, then come in and get a new one?

Teams can also replace entire rear wings if they want to, just takes a lot longer. Teams tell drivers to stop when they fear the engine will blow and leave oil over the track, which is a real danger to other drivers and the possibility of fire in the engine bay, a DRS getting stuck open isn't such a big deal.
no, it isn't a big deal. they did the right thing to continue, of course.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

timbo wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

Interesting is that when it first hit him he was very busy at the wheel and he made a lot of adjustments on brake balance and also some tweak on the steering wheel, and from then it didn't look that bad.
yes, he is probably changing settings to make the car easier to drive and also trying all the things the team tell him to try and fix it, like resetting the system or something like that. but after 2 laps of trying, they have no choice but to pit him.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

ankitshah
ankitshah

Hi Guys

Maybe this question has been already answered, but I am still confused regarding DRS and KERS activation on Ferrari. There were reports and diagrams by Piola last year stating that the DRS is pedal operated. So is there a way of seeing the DRS deployment from the onboard posted above? Also whats the KERS activation like? Is it the two small levers on the backside just above the gear shifters? Both for KERS?

I was trying to figure out the exact moment of DRS activation on each lap and places where he deployed KERS

Thank

Goran2812
Goran2812

pedal by the drivers left foot in ferrari's case...
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1