Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr.G

Re: Ferrari F138

IIRC Ferrari have four controls behind the wheel. Two small (don't know the purpose) on top of each side and two bigger (shift up down). Also some buttons are from bottom.
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

infy
infy

Small ones behind the wheel is the clutch for the start of the race.

Kalsi
Kalsi

DRS was foot operated on the f2012
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xthvk5 ... XpOnLUqy30

As for the KERS for what i remind they had a button on the right side in the back of the wheel over the shift paddle but... according to this article (2011)
http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com ... on-change/
Ferrari has changed the kers activation system more than one time... from the classic in front (2009) to a single button behind the wheel (2011) and then changed it again during the 2011 season to another paddle just like the clutch one, and so should have been carried on into the f2012 and now on the f138 ....
If this is correct ferrari should have 3 paddles per side in the back of the wheel (clutch+shift+kers)

But... after looking at this video (barhain 2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeLbfBNtYQ
it's easy to spot Alonso's left hand going accordingly to the DRS light and maybe with the KERS too....
Could they have kinda switched the controls? I mean KERS with foot and DRS on the wheel lever?

ForzaFer

Kalsi wrote:
But... after looking at this video (barhain 2013)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeLbfBNtYQ
it's easy to spot Alonso's left hand going accordingly to the DRS light and maybe with the KERS too....
Could they have kinda switched the controls? I mean KERS with foot and DRS on the wheel lever?
Yes, left hand definitely for DRS, but i see some right-hand movements when he activates KERS(Thumb)

Cuky

SiLo wrote:Teams can also replace entire rear wings if they want to, just takes a lot longer.
It was a bit longer process before 2011 yes, it took them like 20-40 seconds to change it. Here is a good example of Ferrari doing that:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNfGf2WRsXk[/youtube]

But now when we have DRS it is much more complicated process as hydraulic linkages that are there for DRS activation are passing through the rear of the car, through beam wing, through endplates, than main plane and finally to actuator placed on its center.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

shelly
shelly

Fantastic picture- interesting to see the almost symmetrical shape of the second airfoil
twitter: @armchair_aero

Kalsi
Kalsi

Ferrari this year has done an impressive step foward in terms of aerodynamics
But i was wondering what you guys think of the Red Bulls flexibility on the front wing (wich by the way is extended as we all know to the entire nose of the car) Remember the Abu dhabi and Brazil races from 2012? Well... compare them with Malaysia and Barhain 2013 for Ferrari...
I dont really think Vettel was in a luck all the times speaking of the "Tankiness" of his car in all those situations... If you look at all the videos where he hits someone (or something) and being hit, you can see his car and expecially the front wing are so flexible to kind of "absorb" the impact and not to broke the pilons so the wing remains there and lose only the little parts over it (not compromising the race)
Now thinking of the ferrari FW makes me think they really should run for a very big "flexi" update there, expecially if you watch at what happened in barhain with soo many contacts due to very close fights... To me RB has done a great job for that reason, it absolutely saved brazilian and abudhabi races ( and the whole championship ) last year... Ferrari is going to have a tough season now cause of her squishyness in the wings...

Going back to speak of the DRS/KERS activation topic on the F138 im really starting to believe they kinda switched the controls from last year... looking at the Malaysia Q1, expecially the last 2 corners, you can see Fernando activates KERS in the middle of a very wheel control situation without making visible hands movement for it, while you can still see his left hand clearly controlling the DRS

Here is the Malaysia Q1 video : )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DTRVG4xxww

zonk
zonk

delete
Last edited by zonk on 27 Apr 2013, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

Kalsi
Kalsi

zonk wrote:Please stop trolling by asking questions about red bull. This is a car topic and things on it.
:wtf: Sorry if it seemed to be but, im not asking RB questions here and not trolling either ... This clearly is a F138 related question/problem, what would have happened if i had post this in the RB9 topic?
Try to carefully read the whole post again and i bet you can understand that the question is: "Should Ferrari improve the flexibility of their Front Wing in order to be more "Tanky" like RB is? It seems Ferrari wing is way too rigid"

zonk
zonk

delete

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

aral
aral

Kalsi wrote:
zonk wrote:Please stop trolling by asking questions about red bull. This is a car topic and things on it.
:wtf: Sorry if it seemed to be but, im not asking RB questions here and not trolling either ... This clearly is a F138 related question/problem, what would have happened if i had post this in the RB9 topic?
Try to carefully read the whole post again and i bet you can understand that the question is: "Should Ferrari improve the flexibility of their Front Wing in order to be more "Tanky" like RB is? It seems Ferrari wing is way too rigid"
Should this sort of comment not be on the aero thread, as it has nothing to do with the actual F138, as it actually is at present? Mods, can you sort this out and get us back on actual topic?

turbof1

Interesting image

Always nice to see cars being "dissected" so you can see the hidden details which you can very rarely see at all otherwise.

Is there a particular reason why the last 2 elements (the elements beneath the flap) are shorter then the previous ones?
#AeroFrodo

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

turbof1 wrote:Interesting image

Always nice to see cars being "dissected" so you can see the hidden details which you can very rarely see at all otherwise.

Is there a particular reason why the last 2 elements (the elements beneath the flap) are shorter then the previous ones?
To keep better airflow while steering alongside more DF & less sensitivity to stall.