Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

a few pics from amus today
old brake duct covers being used
Last edited by f1rules on 11 Apr 2015, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.

f1rules
f1rules

diffuser

The long straight starts around 1:11. Even if they had more power they wouldn't go any faster without changing gear ratios. Fernado hits 326km at ~11.5k RPM.

Last edited by diffuser on 11 Apr 2015, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

Not crazy about the look of the nose but I Love the S-Duct......

Also the parts just look too nice. The detail is fantastic...craftmanship! The upside down Y for the wing support is cool.

hollus

McLaren actually might have a slightly longer 8th than Mercedes does, http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 08#p572808 so no problems with top speed... except getting there!

Different question: I understand why you want to have that tiny rear end and the levitating gear box, but why keep that space under the gear box open instead of adding a longitudinal fence? In cross winds or in yaw it must be a mess. Are they choosing a clean diagonal flow over a slightly more impeded but longitudinal one?
Rivals, not enemies.

diffuser

Thx for that. The graph is hard to read...

I presume that where the notches are is where the numbers are. So the the right most notch is 13k RPM. The number 12 sits between the 11k and 12K notch or 11.5K. If I move vertical from there to where it intersects with the top "pinkish" line, I presume Is 8th gear for Merc, it intersect at about 340kph. That would be 15kph faster than McHonda at the same RPM.

Am I reading that right ?

diffuser

I presume that where the notches are is where the numbers are. So the the right most notch is 13k RPM. The number 12 sits between the 11k and 12K notch or 11.5K. If I move vertical from there to where it intersects with the top "pinkish" line, I presume Is 8th gear for Merc, it intersect at about 340kph. That would be 15kph faster than McHonda at the same RPM.

diffuser

hollus

No, it is not like that. All teams are in the graph, Mercedes has the leftmost column, Macca has the third column from the right. The open symbols are the speeds in each gear at 10500rpm, while the full symbols are the speed in each gear at 12000 rpm. It is easier to read if you ignore the open symbols (I've added a simplified graph showing just that in there).
but to summarize, McLaren hits 340.3km/h at 12000 rpm in 8th, while Mercedes will only reach 338.4 at 12000rpm in 8th. Only Ferrari (and maybe Lotus, I missed that one) have a longer 8th than McLaren. But realistically, all teams can reach 360km/h without reaching 13000 rpm, so I don't expect top speeds to be rpm limited at all for anyone.
Rivals, not enemies.

GoranF1
GoranF1

Dipesh1995 wrote:According to Sky, Arai said that they were running their hybrid at full power: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... being-made

Relatively speaking, they were only 1.7 seconds behind Ferrari in Q1 who were also running softs so yeah I think they are making progress steadily. I reckon it will take them around half the season for them to be in the top 5 consistently. From the onboard video that was blocked due to copyright, the car didn't look too bad, it looked quite good especially through the high speed corners. Not Merc level but certainly Ferrari level.
Arai was refering to ICE at 100% not whole PU!
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

willmesquita

According to Sky, Arai said that they were running their hybrid at full power: http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... being-made

Relatively speaking, they were only 1.7 seconds behind Ferrari in Q1 who were also running softs so yeah I think they are making progress steadily. I reckon it will take them around half the season for them to be in the top 5 consistently. From the onboard video that was blocked due to copyright, the car didn't look too bad, it looked quite good especially through the high speed corners. Not Merc level but certainly Ferrari level.
That Arai interview, he said Hybrid or ICE at full power?
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

ollandos
ollandos

the power coming from maps and all energy managment.....honda its far behind ....they need race data....so with hardware problems can not go on this stage.....running 100% all PU unit dosnt mean on its limits as hardware.....

mclaren honda had meet the team day with press after Qual.....any link about this ?

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Such an aggressive diffuser. You can't even see where it exits from the side anymore.

Old:

New:

By the way can anyone PM me details on how to get access to hi-res sutton images. Good old f1.com has stopped hosting them in secret after 7 years.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

trinidefender
trinidefender

When was the new diffuser introduced?

f1rules
f1rules

well they have placed suspension arms low to help condition the flow

hollus wrote:McLaren actually might have a slightly longer 8th than Mercedes does, http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 08#p572808 so no problems with top speed... except getting there!

Different question: I understand why you want to have that tiny rear end and the levitating gear box, but why keep that space under the gear box open instead of adding a longitudinal fence? In cross winds or in yaw it must be a mess. Are they choosing a clean diagonal flow over a slightly more impeded but longitudinal one?
http://img3.auto-motor-und-sport.de/McL ... 856540.jpg