Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
raymondu999

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

I think people forget that speed and reliability are linked. Yes their speed wasn't as good as it was last year (relative to the competition). But if last year, they had taken the time to put in a bit more reliability, then some focus would not have been on speed.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

raymondu999 wrote:I think people forget that speed and reliability are linked. Yes their speed wasn't as good as it was last year (relative to the competition). But if last year, they had taken the time to put in a bit more reliability, then some focus would not have been on speed.
I don´t think there is a direct connection between speed and reliability.A gain in speed is not necessarily a loss in reliability.Maybe even the opposite.Imagine you had a two second per lap advantage ..you could always run the car 2%under its limit and still win...whereas your opposition would need to wring their neck to keep up...

raymondu999

I'm not talking about it in that sense. I'm saying, every second Newey is thinking about how to make the car go faster, is a second that *could* have been spent thinking about strengthening the thing. And to top it off, (assuming that you are flat out at all times) when you have (in very generic terms) more downforce, you will be loading the structures more, you'll be getting on the power earlier, hitting the brakes harder, etc. Which all can hurt the car.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

Low drag rear wing.

scarlet
scarlet

Pretty amazing how skinny the RBs can run their RWs around a track with so many fast corners! Will they need wings at all at Monza? Jokes aside will the relative gain from the DRS be lessened now I wonder, less drag to lose.

King Six
King Six

Those are what the 'standard' rear wings will look like in 2014, not quite as shallow as Monza I don't think, but still quite shallow.

Banki
Banki

TheWiseOwl wrote:Low drag rear wing.

They will be at the disadvantage with this in rain, won't they?

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

Banki wrote:
TheWiseOwl wrote:Low drag rear wing.
They will be at the disadvantage with this in rain, won't they?
Well I think everyone will be running a low drag rear wing, and hence will all be in the same boat (perhaps literally...).

raymondu999

It looks to me almost as though Red Bull have gone for the absolute minimum size wing possible (if they make it smaller, they won't be able to maximize their DRS opening)

WiseOwl, if you looked at the other wings, no other team is running their wing so skinny.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

TheWiseOwl
TheWiseOwl

raymondu999 wrote:It looks to me almost as though Red Bull have gone for the absolute minimum size wing possible (if they make it smaller, they won't be able to maximize their DRS opening)

WiseOwl, if you looked at the other wings, no other team is running their wing so skinny.
Perhaps, but rear downforce isn't all based on wing size.

raymondu999

I was replying to your comment, "everyone will be running low drag rear wings" and I was just telling you that isn't the case
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ell66
ell66

King Six wrote:Those are what the 'standard' rear wings will look like in 2014, not quite as shallow as Monza I don't think, but still quite shallow.
standard rear wings in 2014? are you sre? first iv heard of that.

raymondu999

Yep. New regs have shaved the maximum angle of the rear wing. I'm not sure how the regs are implemented but the key idea is that it's supposed to be much more "shallow" than it is this year

Btw, is Red Bull running a smaller DRS actuator?

What confuses me is, with that being their Spa-spec wing, what will they bring to Monza? Doesn't look like they can trim much more DF/drag from it
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

Banki wrote:They will be at the disadvantage with this in rain, won't they?
I doubt that, I suspect they've got plenty of rear downforce from other sources. In qualifying at nurburgring, Webber was flat through turns 8 and 9 with DRS open. Hamilton was also flat, but with the rear wing closed.
raymondu999 wrote: What confuses me is, with that being their Spa-spec wing, what will they bring to Monza? Doesn't look like they can trim much more DF/drag from it
I think they can use that at monza. It does look very minimal already, but spa is a low/medium downforce track. You could think of it as using the monza wing at spa. besides, the rear downforce on that car is mighty anyways.

King Six
King Six

ell66 wrote:
King Six wrote:Those are what the 'standard' rear wings will look like in 2014, not quite as shallow as Monza I don't think, but still quite shallow.
standard rear wings in 2014? are you sre? first iv heard of that.
Standard as in, you won't be getting the current high wing angles that you see at most tracks, so a shallow wing like this would, on average, be the standard wing. Not standard as in standardised/spec rear wings.

I haven't read the technical rules thoroughly but I remember reading about making the rear wings much shallower than they are these days (well, except at tracks like Monza, and now evidently Spa) so I was saying it's like a preview of things to come by 2014. They're making them shallower in order to reduce the drag coefficient and it goes along with the whole efficiency/fuel saving thing.