Red Bull RB7 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: Red Bull RB7 Renault

King Six wrote:
ell66 wrote:
King Six wrote:Those are what the 'standard' rear wings will look like in 2014, not quite as shallow as Monza I don't think, but still quite shallow.
standard rear wings in 2014? are you sre? first iv heard of that.
Standard as in, you won't be getting the current high wing angles that you see at most tracks, so a shallow wing like this would, on average, be the standard wing. Not standard as in standardised/spec rear wings.

I haven't read the technical rules thoroughly but I remember reading about making the rear wings much shallower than they are these days (well, except at tracks like Monza, and now evidently Spa) so I was saying it's like a preview of things to come by 2014. They're making them shallower in order to reduce the drag coefficient and it goes along with the whole efficiency/fuel saving thing.
I assumed it was further aimed to reduce the wake of the car, so that a car behind can overtake? Unless I was mistaken?

marcush.
marcush.

nice picture showing the inner ducting towards the cetral reqar waste heat exit.
they nicely guide the radiator and exhaust wasteheat upwards and even shroud the suspension pickups nicely to divide the airstream.

raymondu999

Lycoming wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: What confuses me is, with that being their Spa-spec wing, what will they bring to Monza? Doesn't look like they can trim much more DF/drag from it
I think they can use that at monza. It does look very minimal already, but spa is a low/medium downforce track. You could think of it as using the monza wing at spa. besides, the rear downforce on that car is mighty anyways.
My point being, if they used that wing at Monza, they would get slaughtered, no? :?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

raymondu999 wrote:
Lycoming wrote:
raymondu999 wrote: What confuses me is, with that being their Spa-spec wing, what will they bring to Monza? Doesn't look like they can trim much more DF/drag from it
I think they can use that at monza. It does look very minimal already, but spa is a low/medium downforce track. You could think of it as using the monza wing at spa. besides, the rear downforce on that car is mighty anyways.
My point being, if they used that wing at Monza, they would get slaughtered, no? :?
nobody else is running a wing that small at spa (at least not that I can see) so I think they'll manage, unless you were expecting something more radical like the williams low downforce rear wing?

raymondu999

Monza is a lower downforce circuit than Spa. If that is a Spa wing, you'll have to bring even less to Monza. Unless they're trying to pull a Button/2010 Monza type situation
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Lycoming
Lycoming

possible, straight line speed has never been their strength. But I still see it as bringing the monza wing to spa. The rear wing is not responsible for that much downforce for them anyways, hence they can get by running an uber low downforce wing at a low downforce circuit, maybe with a bit more AoA for spa.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Lycoming wrote:nobody else is running a wing that small at spa (at least not that I can see) so I think they'll manage, unless you were expecting something more radical like the williams low downforce rear wing?
McLaren's new small wing seems to be about as small, remains to be seen which of the 3 they'll run though.

marcush.
marcush.

http://www.autosport.com/directory/appointments.html

RedBull recruiting electronics personel...

the bit PCB assembly I find quite funny...do they sit there and solder up their own circuit boards? :lol: :lol:

and their trapspeeds in SPA are right there ...so the weak Renault engine and the high drag of the chassis seem to cancel each other out..

ringo

This chassis is king!!

The car is good every where.

Downforce so high it's blistering the tyres. 8)
For Sure!!

raymondu999

I thought the teams were blaming extreme camber settings for the blistering
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

gridwalker
gridwalker

Ted Kravitz mentioned in "Belgian Grand Prix from the pit lane" that RB ran an updated diffuser : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula ... 702921.stm

Can anyone point out some visible differences?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

marcush.
marcush.

Seb admitting that sunday morning the discussions had not ended if it was necessary to change(reduce) camber and start from pitlane.
I think it was a close call and he was lucky he had the third set to be treated very gentle at the beginning due to the safety car.Thew second set of options blistered almost immediatedly and he had bad vibrations already due to this..
I think the Pirelli guys will have a word with them about camber settings in debriefing this was just too close a call and I´m not sure if it was sensible to make a habit of abusing the tyres in this way now they know they can take that sort of abuse.

Callum

Anyone who can access BBC iPlayer should check out the "Formula 1 forum" at around 13 minutes through they have an interview with Adrien Newey. He basically says that it was the most nail biting race of his entire career because he feared for the drivers safety the whole time. They really thought the likelyhood of a tyre failure was pretty high.

marcush.
marcush.

Newey..sometimes I don´t understand.
Pirelli clearly stated that some teams set up their cars outside the recommendations .
Pirelli did not find evidence of the tyres in danger to coolapse so the teams had to start the race on the blistered ones and responsibility was pushed back to the teams to deal with the issue.Obviously they were very concerned ...you would not change tyres every 5 laps,would you?.They were lucky .Why should a design veteran of 20+years formula 1 have trouble with his decision not to change the setup ?It was a gamble,based on their championship lead ...people lost lifes because of marginaal technical decisions ..or got injured...they seem to be willing to risk more than necessary to win ....this is also the chance for Alonso and Button.
Monza is another track you need to respect..

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

sinice there were no issues with running the blistering tires, you could say the decision was the right one???
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna