Lotus F1 Team 2013

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gray41

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2013

Pretty big blow for Lotus if true, shame as its nice having more teams at the sharp end.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

Morteza

That doesn't sound good at all. I wonder where Allison's gonna end up. Another top team maybe?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Pup
Pup

McLaren, probably. Makes the most sense.

ImaCobra
ImaCobra

Major blow to the team if true. Might also be a big factor in Räikkönen's decision of staying.

iotar__

Why doesn't it deserve own topic but Lowe leaving McLaren does? It concerns at least one more team and it's quite a big move.

So they "know" he's leaving but they don't know where? Inside, exclusive information hasn't reached that far? If true, not a huge surprise but a huge loss. Boullier talking some time ago how they don't have super stars and everyone is replaceable (which is of course bullshit) kind of prepared for that. Already on gardening leave, so he won't be in Barcelona? I guess we'll learn soon enough.

Last time we heard about it it was all about the ability to fight at the top. Among other factors securing financing for 2014 change of rules - gearbox and so on. Unfortunately Lopez lost his mind and instead is throwing money away on his own ingenious idea/marketing project and turning the team into circus. Not a good sign and not the first casualty of poor management during last two seasons.

Out of the two options McLaren seems more likely, unless Lowe comes back :wink: he would fit in his place. At Ferrari they have Fry (are they saying via google translation that he would replace him? doesn't make sense) and Tombazis.

Shakeman

Pup wrote:McLaren, probably. Makes the most sense.
My money is on Mercedes. You can never have enough TDs.

Pierce89

gray41 wrote:Pretty big blow for Lotus if true, shame as its nice having more teams at the sharp end.
I think Lotus will definitely slip back to the midfield without Allison. I could be wrong, but Allison has clearly been their leading light since the loss of Pat Symonds and Bob Bell. Maybe they can get Symonds back from Marussia. If so, they could arguably be in a better position.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Ral
Ral

ImaCobra wrote:Major blow to the team if true. Might also be a big factor in Räikkönen's decision of staying.
Joe Saward agrees with you.

While I'm happy for James Allison getting a new exciting challenge, I can't help but be a bit disappointed for Lotus if this turns out to be true. As much for their chances to hang on to Räikkönen as anything else and that in turn is because I don't think any other team will give Räikkönen the kind of relaxed environment he clearly enjoys at Enstone.

Here's hoping that Nick Chester (the guy who Joe Saward mentions as probable replacement for Allison) will be able to fill Allison's shoes and/or that Allison's own words about everyone eventually coming back to Enstone will turn out prophetic ;)

FlYiNgIcEmAn
FlYiNgIcEmAn

khaliweed
khaliweed

And its not Mclaren.

f1universe
f1universe

If he goes to Ferrari I will not be surprised, Alonso is slowly getting people he knows to join Ferrari. Or maybe Allison wants to work for Ferrari again.

khaliweed
khaliweed

Kiril Varbanov

Ferrari and Mclaren off the equation, Red Bull and Merc to some extent.
Asked SFI and Sauber press officers, no reply yet.

Update: haven't seen official No from Ferrari. Media experience with them shows that long standing denial usually doesn't mean true. If Alison, who is a big name, turned down offers from Mclaren and Mercedes, I don't see need for him in Red Bull, then it must be Ferrari, as he would be too expensive for middle field teams.
My bet on Ferrari.

ajinomoto

One team has been poaching technical directors from the competition for quite sometime now. Mercedes.

turbof1

If I was McLaren, I would start putting together a serious budget to get Allison. They really, really need a new top TD and they just can't let this oppertunity slip away.
#AeroFrodo