Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Ferrari F138

Raptor22 wrote:
DAMNINice wrote:I think they used a trick Scarbs wrote about earlier...

They used the panel to create a higher Nose:

Very clever!

I agree and saw that coming last year after the rules were published.
Isn't the height of the tip of the nose regulated to a certain measurement?

korzeniow
korzeniow

gilgen wrote:
Raptor22 wrote:
DAMNINice wrote:I think they used a trick Scarbs wrote about earlier...
They used the panel to create a higher Nose:
http://scarbsf1.com/blog1/wp-content/up ... se_625.jpg
Very clever!
I agree and saw that coming last year after the rules were published.
Isn't the height of the tip of the nose regulated to a certain measurement?
I agree. Tip of the nose is a tip of the nose, even if this is a loop hole I expect FIA to clarify on that during the season.

Also, front wing mounted to the modesty panel? I don't think so....
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Raptor22
Raptor22

the tip can still droop.

and why can't the front wing be mounted to the modesty panel?

korzeniow
korzeniow

Because it seems to me like not enough solid structure. I can be wrong though.
It's been a long time since we drove last time, but it has also been a short time at the same time
Roam Grosjean ponders the passing of time on the first day of testing at Jerez
February 5, 2013

Raptor22
Raptor22

think about it more carefully without the constraints of the "intention of the rules"

Shakeman

flyboy2160 wrote:
if you think about it a little, you'll realize that more air under the car isn't what you want.
How do you explain Lotus' forward exit exhausts that were trying to get air under the car?

Crabbia
Crabbia

korzeniow wrote:
I agree. Tip of the nose is a tip of the nose, even if this is a loop hole I expect FIA to clarify on that during the season.

Also, front wing mounted to the modesty panel? I don't think so....
there is no way to tell if I'm right but i think it is just the old nose ( same wing mounting points as the F2012 nose) with the modesty panel stretching over the mounting points and the F2012 shaped nose.

look at this slider originally posted by stefan:
http://www.thef1times.com/compare/ferrari.php

It might be innacurate but you can see that the nose definitely comes out appreciably further relative to the pylons on the F138 than the F2012. also there is that funny fat top lip that looks like it is shrouding what would be the F2012's nose shape.

As well as being further out the leading edge of the nose is a little bit higher.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Crabbia
Crabbia

Shakeman wrote:
flyboy2160 wrote:
if you think about it a little, you'll realize that more air under the car isn't what you want.
How do you explain Lotus' forward exit exhausts that were trying to get air under the car?
i disagree, with the F138's aggressive coke bottle shape they need as much as flow as possible to hit the splitter, flowing to the barge boards and then and around and following the coke bottle.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

beelsebob
beelsebob

flyboy2160 wrote:
Hah! That intuition is what gave us cars with wings on top before ground effect cars. It doesn't sound right that more air under the car should work as a good solution to sticking the car to the ground, it sounds like it should make for a high pressure zone under there, but the intuition is wrong. As long as you treat the air flow right, you make it work like a jet engine, speeding up the airflow under the car enormously, and creating a huge low pressure zone.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

The lotus had forward exhausts to put hot air under the car earlier on. The intention was to speed up the air flow under the car by heating it and thus create more downforce. It wasn't primarily because they wanted more air volume.

Raptor22
Raptor22

think of the bottom of the car as a converging diverging thermodynamic nozzle. the more mass y9ou get through it, the higher the expansion ratio the more efficient the nozzle and therefore the lower th pressure at the throat.
If the throat is the "kink" line where the flat botom ends and thre diffuser begins the higher the mass through there, the lower the pressure the higher the downforce from the underbody.

f1316
f1316

Are they shaking down the Ferrari today like the Merc? Or just planning to go straight out and test tomorrow?

amouzouris

beelsebob wrote: Hah! That intuition is what gave us cars with wings on top before ground effect cars. It doesn't sound right that more air under the car should work as a good solution to sticking the car to the ground, it sounds like it should make for a high pressure zone under there, but the intuition is wrong. As long as you treat the air flow right, you make it work like a jet engine, speeding up the airflow under the car enormously, and creating a huge low pressure zone.
Thank you!
flyboy2160 wrote: how do you know this is true? CFD? tunnel data? intuition?

i suspect that if you tried to divert most of the air under the monocoque nose under the floor, you'd have little downforce and the car would lift.

many times on this forum posters are claiming that 'more' air is desirable under the floor. this isn't true. downforce reduction is what the fia has achieved by raising the floors above the ground over the years with schemes such as reference planes and no-wear planks which allow more air under the car. the teams would like to run the floors and the splitter lower than what the fia wants - witness everyone crying about the red bull splitters running lower than everyone else and ferrari's 'flexible floor' a few years back.

the chapparal and brabham sucker cars tried to exclude as much air as possible from below the car and reduce the pressure there by 'evacuation.' since sliding skirts were banned long ago, teams are trying to 'aerodynamically seal' the sides of the floor and the diffuser to prevent air from getting under the floor.

edit: as a thought experiment look at the chapparal and imagine that instead of the sucker fans pulling the air out from that sealed area under the car, the diffuser is doing the sucking. now if you raise the skirts and the nose dam to let more air in, the sucking down on the underside of the car isn't as strong.
First of all teams are not only sealing the diffuser to stop (minimize) tire squirt but they are trying to stop airflow from going out as well! Ride height is one thing and the volume of air under the floor at a given height is another...yes you want the car to run lower because it will get the low pressure point closer to the road surface...forcing more air under the floor will force more air out of the diffuser, speeding up the airflow thus producing more downforce...after all it is air itself that produces the downforce..thats why when cars bottom out lose downforce... regarding your so called 'thought experiment' the chapparal and brabham cars did not 'exclude air' from under the floor..they were accelerating air from under the floor reducing its pressure....it is not possible to 'exclude air' because it is not a closed chamber...air will get in to replace the air you 'excluded'....

last but not least...yes! i know all these from CFD tests..but pls dont make me do another one...it is too time consuming and impossible to do at this stage because of exams...

so..yeah..i suggest that you need to think about it

Edit:

P.S. mods im sorry for discussing all these in the F138 thread..

.poz
.poz

flyboy2160 wrote: i suspect that if you tried to divert most of the air under the monocoque nose under the floor, you'd have little downforce and the car would lift.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_effect_(cars)

rjsa
rjsa

korzeniow wrote:Because it seems to me like not enough solid structure. I can be wrong though.
I you look the car from the side you can see how long the wing pods are, Scarbs's illustration do not reflect that.

They might as well have the pods divided in two veritacl parts, being the reamost the structural element attached to the cockpit.