2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
wowgr8
wowgr8

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

To counter that, here's speed trace data comparing the speed on the back straight in FP last year vs in testing. Looks as though the engine hasn't been upgraded at all, or just barely

McLaren for comparison

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 18:15
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwhgMHvWUAI ... name=large

To counter that, here's speed trace data comparing the speed on the back straight in FP last year vs in testing. Looks as though the engine hasn't been upgraded at all, or just barely
You'd have to assume they were using the same engine modes and aero setup to make an apples to apples comparison. Most likely, running less aggressive on modes and more aero(knowing they were running very low df to gain speed last year).

Macklaren
Macklaren

JPower wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 18:26
wowgr8 wrote:

You'd have to assume they were using the same engine modes and aero setup to make an apples to apples comparison. Most likely, running less aggressive on modes and more aero(knowing they were running very low df to gain speed last year).
I think McLaren was likely to be just as conservative with the engine modes during testing though -- esp. given Merc engine reliability concerns. Fair point on Ferrari running less DF last year though -- can we compare rear wing sizes in photos to get a sense of any difference?

Macklaren
Macklaren

wowgr8 wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwhIEInXAAA ... name=large

McLaren for comparison
I dont know how to read these charts -- what does the X-axis imply? lap distance should be the same for both given that it is the same corner? is the Ferrari able to carry a lot more speed into the corner and brake later?

wowgr8
wowgr8

JPower wrote:
[
The SF1000 was still very draggy (even when they tried to counter that by running less wing they were still bottom of the speed traps) and underpowered, if the new PU was 40hp up I think it would show here, just like it did on the McLaren graph. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they were just running it very conservatively

Also weird that it seems the 2020 engine had better initial acceleration, not sure what to take from that, maybe difference in tyres showing?

Manfer
Manfer

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 18:47
JPower wrote:
[
The SF1000 was still very draggy (even when they tried to counter that by running less wing they were still bottom of the speed traps) and underpowered, if the new PU was 40hp up I think it would show here, just like it did on the McLaren graph. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they were just running it very conservatively

Also weird that it seems the 2020 engine had better initial acceleration, not sure what to take from that, maybe difference in tyres showing?
This year, more than any other year, teams are being extra careful to show their hand. Everyone will be looking at their current relative performance to determine whether to fully dedicate their resources to 2022 or work on 2021 a bit longer before jumping ship to next year.
If one team knows that they have 0.5s over their nearest rival, that team will be comfortable to move on.
Come March 28, the area around Sakhir circuit will have an additional ton of sand for when everyone eventually unload their bags.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Sainz view on the PU

LM10
LM10

Macklaren wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 18:39
JPower wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:

I think McLaren was likely to be just as conservative with the engine modes during testing though -- esp. given Merc engine reliability concerns. Fair point on Ferrari running less DF last year though -- can we compare rear wing sizes in photos to get a sense of any difference?
Which Mercedes engine reliability concerns are we talking about?

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

wowgr8 wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwhIEInXAAA ... name=large

McLaren for comparison
I dunno much but i know enough to know that the engine has definitely been upgraded.
How much? I guess we'll see that in the next 2 weeks
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Binotto has already said that work done in 2021 will be directed toward the 2022 car, and that the only work done this year on the 2021 car will be if it is deemed beneficial to the 2022 project in some way.

The new Ferrari does not appear to be particularly special in any way and Ferrari is already (very smartly and correctly) looking to the 2022 car.

So I expect another bad season from Ferrari. 6th place in the Constructor's Championship bad? Maybe not, but nothing substantially better either.

At this point, I just hope the Red Bull is a bit faster than the Mercedes, on a consistent basis. I'm done watching Lewis Hamilton win everything on the cheap.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Re: Ferrari SF21

Fer.Fan wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 22:03
Binotto on testing so far. He is happy with progres with the PU and the SF21. I don’t think Ferrari can match RB or Merc but third place in 2021 must be the target.

Obviously we know how the engine is running on the dyno," said Binotto in Bahrain.

"When you fit it on the car what you may have a look at on track is the speed and eventually the relative speed to the others.

"When we were here last year in Bahrain for the race and for qualifying we’ve been very slow here on the straights – we didn’t enter into Q3 and we were very distant from pole.

"Now if I look at the first days I think at least on the straights the speed is alright. It doesn’t seem to be such a disadvantage as it was last year."

But the Scuderia boss also pointed to optimized aerodynamics on its new SF21 that have led to progress overall.

"We know it’s not only power, it’s the drag of the car as well – as we often said last year – but let me say that both of them contributed in improving our speed on the straights and today we feel it is not anymore a disadvantage."

So far in pre-season testing, Ferrari hasn't delivered any headline lap times, but Binotto nevertheless underscored the "smooth" sessions enjoyed by the team in Bahrain.

"We knew that with only three days it would be very busy and very intense – it has been very busy and intense," he said. "I think so far it has run smoothly.

"The main priority was certainly to understand the car behaviour, mapping in all the conditions, and that is where we focused our energy. I think so far we collected a lot of data."
I highly doubt Ferrari will be 3rd best team in 2021.

More like 4 or 5.

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 18:47
JPower wrote:
[

Binotto isn't one to bullsh*t for the most part. If all Ferrari teams say they gained power, they probably did. Still most likely behind AMG but on par with the rest.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Ringleheim wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 19:48
Binotto has already said that work done in 2021 will be directed toward the 2022 car, and that the only work done this year on the 2021 car will be if it is deemed beneficial to the 2022 project in some way.

The new Ferrari does not appear to be particularly special in any way and Ferrari is already (very smartly and correctly) looking to the 2022 car.

So I expect another bad season from Ferrari. 6th place in the Constructor's Championship bad? Maybe not, but nothing substantially better either.

At this point, I just hope the Red Bull is a bit faster than the Mercedes, on a consistent basis. I'm done watching Lewis Hamilton win everything on the cheap.
I doubt it'll be sixth or even 5th. I expect them to fight hard, but win the 3rd place. People underestimate them a little too much cuz of last season... not people actually, its the British crowd
CFD Eyes of Sauron

wowgr8
wowgr8

The problem is that nothing from the tests suggested they'll be a force in the 3rd place fight, they've been drawing comparisons to the Alpha/Alfa teams for the most part. I'll be very happy if they're up there with McLaren and Aston Martin in the P3 fight though, the driver quality should shine through

JPower
JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 20:50
The problem is that nothing from the tests suggested they'll be a force in the 3rd place fight, they've been drawing comparisons to the Alpha/Alfa teams for the most part. I'll be very happy if they're up there with McLaren and Aston Martin in the P3 fight though, the driver quality should shine through
Nothing from the tests really suggested anyone outside of RB and Mercedes will be out front and Alfa/Haas/Williams towards the back. Everyone in midfield ran similar times and similar race pace programs.