2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
gastonmazzacane

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

organic

Helmut Marko has said the alpha tauri name will be abandoned. New sponsors will come and a new name.

Furthering the change, the team will be following in the footsteps of other customer teams and take as many parts as they can from RB, as well as changing their philosophy towards copying what RB are doing as much as possible rather than developing completely independently. Similar to Haas' relationship with Ferrari.

It's the same link as posted above, but I thought i'd expand on the details outside the link as it's large news.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Honestly, this seems like the course correction AT need, I guess some might say that they haven't been given the length of time to let their internal design house prove their worth but they haven't come up with anything convincing past couple of years.

FW17

Alpha Romeo Honda incoming

Cassius
Cassius

Probably a partner of Oracle, like Infosys to compete with Cognizant, or another big software company could be a new sponsor. Maybe ServiceNow to compete with SalesForce.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Could be renamed as Ford.......

diffuser

organic wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 16:50
Helmut Marko has said the alpha tauri name will be abandoned. New sponsors will come and a new name.

Furthering the change, the team will be following in the footsteps of other customer teams and take as many parts as they can from RB, as well as changing their philosophy towards copying what RB are doing as much as possible rather than developing completely independently. Similar to Haas' relationship with Ferrari.

It's the same link as posted above, but I thought i'd expand on the details outside the link as it's large news.

I'm not sure how that is a change? I thought they were already using the PU, gear box and rear suspension. Aero surfaces you have to show your own designs.

I wonder if it has more to do with their engineers jumping to other teams? The engineers are not wanting to work on boats when not needed on the car to facilitate keeping car cost down.

AtlasZX

"Mustang Racing RBPT"

Big Tea

It would seem a cert they use the same engine as RBR if they are taking 'bits' from them just for compatibility reason, let alone having more control over the engine supply and use.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

diffuser wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 18:08
organic wrote:

I'm not sure how that is a change? I thought they were already using the PU, gear box and rear suspension. Aero surfaces you have to show your own designs.

I wonder if it has more to do with their engineers jumping to other teams? The engineers are not wanting to work on boats when not needed on the car to facilitate keeping car cost down.
Previously they tried to go about their own way with things. Marko has in the past been clear that this was their aim when they announced that AT would become a sister team at the beginning of '21. The at04 is not a copy of the end of season RB18, despite the possibility as evidenced by how Haas went about things such as their Hungary sidepod update. This is the end of AT being a 'sister' team and relegated back to its former role as Toro Rosso. The experiment failed

AT also choose to build their own front suspension which is not required for instance, so they do not take the maximum available parts from RB. They do a lot of these things, in the past this was chosen as they believed it would save costs and they can apply that saved money to more development.. but it didn't end up turning out like this. Seems like it ended up being more expensive despite previously thinking it would not

They also need the title sponsorship to spend more.. I doubt AT was at the budget cap in '22

I think it has essentially been confirmed that RB will supply AT: I believe horner said that RB have turned down supplying other teams as they believe supplying 2 from the beginning will be enough to gain data/test with and not stress their manufacturing capacity too much

diffuser

organic wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 19:42
diffuser wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 18:08
organic wrote:

Previously they tried to go about their own way with things. Marko has in the past been clear that this was their aim when they announced that AT would become a sister team at the beginning of '21. The at04 is not a copy of the end of season RB18, despite the possibility as evidenced by how Haas went about things such as their Hungary sidepod update. This is the end of AT being a 'sister' team and relegated back to its former role as Toro Rosso. The experiment failed

AT also choose to build their own front suspension which is not required for instance, so they do not take the maximum available parts from RB. They do a lot of these things, in the past this was chosen as they believed it would save costs and they can apply that saved money to more development.. but it didn't end up turning out like this. Seems like it ended up being more expensive despite previously thinking it would not

They also need the title sponsorship to spend more.. I doubt AT was at the budget cap in '22

I think it has essentially been confirmed that RB will supply AT: I believe horner said that RB have turned down supplying other teams as they believe supplying 2 from the beginning will be enough to gain data/test with and not stress their manufacturing capacity too much

There are only 10 teams, so far, 6 PU manufactures. Subtract STR, cause they already have them, Hass cause of a Ferrari umbilical cord and you have 2 teams left. The 2 Merc teams. It's gonna be hard to supply beyond 2.

Haas is not allowed to copy Ferrari's side-pods. They have to design their own side-pods, demonstrate that with technical drawings and they have to be different from Ferrari. SAT buying RBR front suspension isn't gonna be a big savings, they still need to design their own brakes and brake ducts.

Like I said, I think the big savings comes from combining of manufacturing forces. SAT is allowed to outsource the manufacturing of parts.

Would there be any benefit/cost savings for RB if they were to transfer development of certain parts that can be purchased from a supplier - for example the front suspension - to SAT? In essence RBR becomes a customer of SAT...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

1158 wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 23:09
Would there be any benefit/cost savings for RB if they were to transfer development of certain parts that can be purchased from a supplier - for example the front suspension - to SAT? In essence RBR becomes a customer of SAT...
From what has been mentioned, it would actually cost RB more to buy parts from SAT, then to make it themselves.

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 23:12

From what has been mentioned, it would actually cost RB more to buy parts from SAT, then to make it themselves.
I suspected that was the case, but figured it was worth an ask.

I guess if RBR suddenly becomes a customer of SAT we know why :lol:

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 23:12
1158 wrote:
28 Jun 2023, 23:09

I don't know the country rules, nor am I and accountant, but there might be savings in how you can expense the purchasing of something rather than paying your own employees to do it. I really do think that it's more about finding a way to keep their best employees working on what they want to do, instead of sending them off to work on boats. Then loosing them to other teams(Rob Marshall) cause that's not what they want to do.

Just a thought ...you can start a company that would just manufacture Carbon fibre parts. The Company Like RBR and STR is owned by RB. All it does is make Carbon Fibre parts for Both RBR and STR.