2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:48
Sevach wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:41
bauc wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 17:28
So Lewis knows that Mercedes can't/wont fight for championship anytime soon and he wants to try for the first time in his long carrier to drive for Ferrari? For me it makes sense if this is his main reason for leaving. If he wins one with Ferrari he will cement himself as the ''greatest'' ever so why not to try at least a?
I think he's already the most famous driver ever, winning for Ferrari would raise his "brand" to levels beyond comprehension.

And maybe he's just frustrated and bored at Merc, needs a new home, it's been more than 10 years.
Yeah, I definitely see it a low-risk medium reward situation for LH.

If it goes bust, so what? He'll be 40, there is no extreme pressure due to age and RB being demonically good, and LH will be seen more fondly by Ferrari fans that constitute the bulk of F1 fans in the future. Winning a championship ofc would be legendary in an incomprehensible scale (winning the record-breaking 8th WITH Ferrari, ending the Ferrari drought as well), no doubt, but even a win in Monza would be great to see and certainly one for the history books.

The only thing that could go horribly wrong is Mercedes winning in 2025, but let's be realistic, that does not have many chances to materialise.
Hamilton is already the greatest F1 driver in the books, he's reaching for the moon with this move and why shouldn't he? Numbers can be beat(Max has a chance if RBR keeps making awesome cars and he sticks long enough), history is forever.
Never thought he would leave Mercedes but it makes sense.

Indeed the only thing that would leave him with an egg on his face would be a Russell WDC in 25, but in all likelyhood Verstappen will make sure that doesn't happen.

And despite the fact that an eventual loss to Charles won't hurt his historical standing this move isn't lacking in "balls" either, kudos to him.

Vanja #66

JPower wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:21
Sooooo...if you're Toto, who's your next driver?
Toto should do the honourable thing and resign. He lost the big fight in 2021, lead the team through 2 very poor season from performance point of view (a streak very unlikely to end any time soon), promoted wrong people to wrong positions and lost so many important people at the same time. Along with Horner (who, on the contrary, proved his worth admirably) he's the only team principal still in position in the last 2 seasons. He played a lot of political games in the last 3 years and was still beaten in spite of that. Time to look himself in the mirror and come face to face with the problem.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:45
JPower wrote:
Toto should do the honourable thing and resign. He lost the big fight in 2021, lead the team through 2 very poor season from performance point of view (a streak very unlikely to end any time soon), promoted wrong people to wrong positions and lost so many important people at the same time. Along with Horner (who, on the contrary, proved his worth admirably) he's the only team principal still in position in the last 2 seasons. He played a lot of political games in the last 3 years and was still beaten in spite of that. Time to look himself in the mirror and come face to face with the problem.
On the contrary, this is the chance for Toto to truly prove himself. You lost your star driver who you didn't recruit, can you pick yourself off the ground and come back? If Wolff folds now he will forever be consigned to the record books as a product of things he did not build himself.

zeroday

214270 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 16:41
Mick’s another.
Mick is a crash magnet. If they want to play it safe, i'd go with bringing back Bottas. The man is a machine in Quali.

Vanja #66

mendis wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:55
This is appropriate. Toto didn't build this team and there is no evidence he can get them out of this rut. Now he failed to retain one of team's important assets. He fired Mike Elliott on behest of Lewis. He is in seriously humiliating position. Continuing from here is only a selfish act to stay in limelight. It would have been honorable to stop James leaving by offering him team principal role.
When leaders are stubborn and detached from reality, they usually respond to this kind of situation with denial, transferring the blame elsewhere and/or maintaining a "there is no problem" image. Let's see what Toto does in the next few months.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

It does then seem to indicate that Christian Horner (for once) wasn’t lying about one of LHs team contacting him for a potential move. And you know what, good for Lewis! Not his biggest fan off the race track, but he’s hunting for no8 and that’s got to be praised. Cat amongst the pidgeons. I can honestly see ALO moving to Merc in the interim. What a time to be an F1 fan 😂

dren

What's it really matter when RB will be winning the races anyway?
Honda!

billamend
billamend

Horner is going to have so much fun this year messing with Mercedes

zeroday

Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:11
OTOH, it will be a good opportunity to see who are the real Mercedes fans :mrgreen:
I hate to admit it but yea Mercedes fans...A LOT are actually Hamilton fans, first and foremost. I know for me when Hamilton leaves, I will too. My F1 shelf will magically become all FER. No doubt about it. I love MER but i love HAM more. :lol:

f1jcw
f1jcw

zeroday wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 20:19
Bill_Kar wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 18:11
OTOH, it will be a good opportunity to see who are the real Mercedes fans :mrgreen:
I hate to admit it but yea Mercedes fans...A LOT are actually Hamilton fans, first and foremost. I know for me when Hamilton leaves, I will too. My F1 shelf will magically become all FER. No doubt about it. I love MER but i love HAM more. :lol:
I will follow Lewis in Ferrari and want him to win.
I'll still want Merc to beat Redbull.

I'm sure if I'll follow George or not, I'm not too sure of him.
I liked Lando when he first came into F1, but his actions and speeches in the last 2 years have put me off him.
I've liked Charles, so I can like both in Ferrari.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Carlos is not in the equation ; Merc wont hire a Ferrari 'Drop'.
Why not 'Piastry' in the equation?

stewie325
stewie325

selvam_e2002 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:30
There is a good chance Sainz to AM in 2025, so that Stroll JR will be happy and Alonso to Mercedes for 1+1 year contract then retire from sports
or
Vettel to Mercedes. it is feasible.
Yes to Seb, no to Alonso.

Merc need TEAM building.

Seb's part of development helped Aston to the place they were at the start of 2023. Alonso's part of that development went in the wrong direction (common theme for him). Seb was also part of some extremely dominant RB teams. Alonso hasn't been part of a successful TEAM for a long-long time.

JPower
JPower

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:45
JPower wrote:
Spicy :!:

Maybe its time for a reboot.

billamend
billamend

Mercedes, the car company, must _not_ be happy that one of its most important brand icons is leaving for another car brand.

dren

billamend wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 20:44
Mercedes, the car company, must _not_ be happy that one of its most important brand icons is leaving for another car brand.
You don't say.
Honda!