Renault R30

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ISLAMATRON

Re: Renault R30

ISLAMATRON wrote:*****

Last edited by Tomba on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be nice will you?

I dont type in Morse code Tomba :wink: ... this is what I typed...
ISLAMATRON wrote:who cares what his helmet looks like, as long as it is covering that ugly face... that 1 one ugly MF... guess the driver matches the car in this instance.
There are plenty of posts referring to Anthony Hamilton's face as ugly, and Lewis' ex's face as "plastic" or of me being a "Taliban"(i've asked you repeatedly to erase those post but you have only ignored me) but yet you erase a post by me calling Big nose Bob ugly(which he clearly is).

This shows clear bias on your part Tomba, which you are clearly entitled to being your forum, but I just wanted to point it out in case you were NOT doing it intentionally. I hope that is not the case and it was merely an oversight.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Back on track ..
From the testing shots the Renault looks surprisingly very interesting. I've never thought of the Renault team as cutting edge in aero but this car gives us some things to think about. That upper diffuser is massive, and many of the body parts are not the same ones that were on the official release car such as the rear wing, and I think the front splitter. An interesting detail on the front splitter has outlets on the sides of it, presumably to reduce airflow underneath it. The brake ducts should be interesting to see develop or get pitched as the year progresses.

I guess I'll be following it's development this year as long as thread doesn't evolve into senseless banter over helmets and driver appearance.

allan
allan

ISLAMATRON wrote:
ISLAMATRON wrote:*****

Last edited by Tomba on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be nice will you?

I dont type in Morse code Tomba :wink: ... this is what I typed...
ISLAMATRON wrote:who cares what his helmet looks like, as long as it is covering that ugly face... that 1 one ugly MF... guess the driver matches the car in this instance.
There are plenty of posts referring to Anthony Hamilton's face as ugly, and Lewis' ex's face as "plastic" or of me being a "Taliban"(i've asked you repeatedly to erase those post but you have only ignored me) but yet you erase a post by me calling Big nose Bob ugly(which he clearly is).

This shows clear bias on your part Tomba, which you are clearly entitled to being your forum, but I just wanted to point it out in case you were NOT doing it intentionally. I hope that is not the case and it was merely an oversight.
Although I hate to admit it, but I do agree with you...
Maybe because this time you've insulted a renault driver!

manchild
manchild

Since I've had my share in such situations let me try to point out few things.

There should be two rules - no comments about personality of forum member. Debate about opinion - yes, debate about personality, religion, color of skin, username, country - no.

When commenting drivers - stick to their skill, behavior on track and offtrack, driving style, etc. Mentioning driver's looks in the directly insulting way is just unacceptable. Joking is ok, but that wasn't a joke, but pure insult.

You all know how I can't stand MSC, but it is not because his looks, but because his on track behavior.

Anyway, I hope Tomba deletes these posts including mine, so topic can continue before mentioning of helmet.

ElRebelde
ElRebelde

Fil wrote:ok wow :shock:
something tells me the scale isn't quite exact.. but its still a noticeable difference

It can't be scaled correctly - the standard cockpit entry is a different size in each.

I think the teams are wise to this kind of analysis and are putting non-standard tyres on, photo-shopping them, whatever.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

manchild wrote:Regarding W wing, here is the topic from 2008

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5150

BTW, check the last pic on the first page I made. Sail of engine cover connected to rear wing, by me (February 2008). When was it the first time it appeared on real car, 2009. RB 05?
Unconnected: RB4 in Late Febuary into early March 08
Connected: RB5 in Mid to Late Febuary 09

PlatinumZealot

That's one really upgraded R29!! :wink:

Talk about recession budgeting.. They just went right to the point: diffuser, wings, fuel tank, transmission, BAM!

The car looks good none the less, as expected since I was one of those who thought the 2009 version (lol) of the R29 looked good.

THe diffuser.. It seems they lowered the first deck below the regulated height and put two side walls on top. The exit to the upper diffuser more than likely lines up with these side walls.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Dubliner
Dubliner

I'm just disappointed they insist on running that ridiculous nose.

I would think that at some point, them running an interim nose would hinder their understanding of how the nose destined for '10 performs in real life.

And I still wouldn't be surprised of we see new sidepod panels later on in these tests.

manchild
manchild

ESPImperium wrote:
manchild wrote:Regarding W wing, here is the topic from 2008

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5150

BTW, check the last pic on the first page I made. Sail of engine cover connected to rear wing, by me (February 2008). When was it the first time it appeared on real car, 2009. RB 05?
Unconnected: RB4 in Late Febuary into early March 08
Connected: RB5 in Mid to Late Febuary 09
Thanks for the reminder. I'm forgettable like an old man - I remember things from childhood like it was yesterday, and can't recall what I ate for lunch. :oops:

WhiteBlue

ElRebelde wrote:
Fil wrote:ok wow :shock:
something tells me the scale isn't quite exact.. but its still a noticeable difference

It can't be scaled correctly - the standard cockpit entry is a different size in each..
It is certainly not positioned correctly. The scale is ok, I think. Usually you line up the standard front cockpit opening which isn't done in the case of the Ferrari. If you mentally correct that you see that the Ferrrari has a longer wheel base due to the rear end being longer. The difference isn't primarily in the front end as the pic suggests. Logic would suggest that the Renault fuel tank is several liters smaller than Ferrari's.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

vyselegend

I'm surprised Renault have decided to stick with the nose skirts concept, despite having designed a new nosecone which isn't hollow underside, thus reducing considerably the front diffuser effect (which wasn't working very well last year already from what we could see...)

The interesting bits however are the added fins right under the front suspention. They are curvy and quite developped. Do you think they're main function is to extend the skirt's channeling, or are they mainly flow conditioner toward the floor?

Belatti
Belatti

WhiteBlue wrote:
It is certainly not positioned correctly. The scale is ok, I think. Usually you line up the standard front cockpit opening which isn't done in the case of the Ferrari. If you mentally correct that you see that the Ferrrari has a longer wheel base due to the rear end being longer. The difference isn't primarily in the front end as the pic suggests. Logic would suggest that the Renault fuel tank is several liters smaller than Ferrari's.[/quote]

If this graph is correct, then Renault would need about 8-9 liters less than Ferrari in a 70 laps race. I doubt a 200 liter fuel tank obliges you to design a car that longer than with a 190 liters one.

Also, as the Renault is bulkier than the Ferrari in the middle zone, I guess their tank is wider and shorter. Another design philosophy, but almost the same volume.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Jan_83

I aligned it for you.
F10 pic from Gurneyflap.com the other I've forgotten.
Last edited by Jan_83 on 02 Feb 2010, 15:14, edited 2 times in total.

zgred

vyselegend wrote:
The interesting bits however are the added fins right under the front suspention. They are curvy and quite developped. Do you think they're main function is to extend the skirt's channeling, or are they mainly flow conditioner toward the floor?

Better image, additionaly some sensor sensor.

Vasco

They are using a very similar front wing to what mclaren used for the first half of last year.

Mclaren dithed it so I wonder why Renault see the need to copy it