2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

We have zero traction.... Final turn was just awful. Four tenths gap grew to seven thenths before the DRS zone. Race starts are fine so the engine grunt is there but something is not right about the mid-speed traction. Maybe crappy ERS mapping.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

chrisc90

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 19:25
We have zero traction.... Final turn was just awful. Four tenths gap grew to seven thenths before the DRS zone. Race starts are fine so the engine grunt is there but something is not right about the mid-speed traction. Maybe crappy ERS mapping.
Running a lot more rear wing compared to everyone else werent they this weekend too?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

PlatinumZealot wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 19:25
Hamilton and Toto have said several times now. The car is not too crazy and doesn't bounce but just lacks overall load. That's why their traction isn't as good as other cars. They have the same rear end as Aston Martin. The Aston just has more aero load at all speeds.
A lion must kill its prey.

pursue_one's

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

pursue_one's wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 19:51
That's a substantial set of changes.

chrisc90

Is it the suspension thats the problem though?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:00
Is it the suspension thats the problem though?
That must be their understanding if they are changing it.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

The overtake on stroll was harder than it needed to be. When Hamilton pulled out of the slipstream he didn’t have a lot of over speed and he needed to complete the overtake by going deep on the brakes. That was shocking that the car even with drs could not even blow by an Aston, one of the slowest cars on the grid in top speed. So traction is not the only issue. They are draggy as well still. Awfully draggy.

Juzh

Hammerfist wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:11
The overtake on stroll was harder than it needed to be. When Hamilton pulled out of the slipstream he didn’t have a lot of over speed and he needed to complete the overtake by going deep on the brakes. That was shocking that the car even with drs could not even blow by an Aston, one of the slowest cars on the grid in top speed. So traction is not the only issue. They are draggy as well still. Awfully draggy.
In previous races this would be true, not this one. Aston was very fast all weekend on main straight, same as RB more or less (with drs closed).

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Juzh wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:22
Hammerfist wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 20:11
In previous races this would be true, not this one. Aston was very fast all weekend on main straight, same as RB more or less (with drs closed).
Ah I see. No wonder then. Thanks.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 23:12
AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 22:57
They didn’t even bring a low df rear wing! The car still has a lot of drag…

I really hope for their own sake that is just to give them more development for the big upgrade! Also Allison had mentioned there will be a new rear suspension for Baku…where was it?
I think Mercedes are just focusing on the revised package for Imola. From there they are likely to review the rear wing options again. There's no point iterating rear wings for the current spec when a lot of the floor and bodywork is going to be revised soon.
Quoted into the team thread rather than W14.

Interesting point really. Merc will need a low DF wing for Imola, or it will be even worse on the straights than it was today (Baku).

They will need to introduce the 'full package' in one go in my opinion in order to get it to work as intended. If they are designing front, or rear suspension changes for the new revised car they plan to bring, if it happens, then they will have to be sure that the changes introduced earlier are also going to work on the current version of the car.

I cant help but feel that a gradual introduction of new parts/major upgrades will end up confusing them given they will be evaluating how well, or not, they are working on the current car vs how they could possibly work on the newer car.

Its going to be a interesting 3 weeks on the run up to Imola. Miami next week - does anyone know if there are any planned upgrades coming for then?

They did bring some revised fairings on the front suspension to Baku - How big they are in proposed suspension changes is anyones guess.

AMG.Tzan

chrisc90 wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 23:19
AR3-GP wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 23:12
AMG.Tzan wrote:
30 Apr 2023, 22:57
They didn’t even bring a low df rear wing! The car still has a lot of drag…

I really hope for their own sake that is just to give them more development for the big upgrade! Also Allison had mentioned there will be a new rear suspension for Baku…where was it?
I think Mercedes are just focusing on the revised package for Imola. From there they are likely to review the rear wing options again. There's no point iterating rear wings for the current spec when a lot of the floor and bodywork is going to be revised soon.
Quoted into the team thread rather than W14.

Interesting point really. Merc will need a low DF wing for Imola, or it will be even worse on the straights than it was today (Baku).

They will need to introduce the 'full package' in one go in my opinion in order to get it to work as intended. If they are designing front, or rear suspension changes for the new revised car they plan to bring, if it happens, then they will have to be sure that the changes introduced earlier are also going to work on the current version of the car.

I cant help but feel that a gradual introduction of new parts/major upgrades will end up confusing them given they will be evaluating how well, or not, they are working on the current car vs how they could possibly work on the newer car.

Its going to be a interesting 3 weeks on the run up to Imola. Miami next week - does anyone know if there are any planned upgrades coming for then?

They did bring some revised fairings on the front suspension to Baku - How big they are in proposed suspension changes is anyones guess.
I don’t think there will be any updates for Miami though Allison mentioned that there will be updates to pretty much every race from now on!

For some reason I don’t expect huge visuals or performance changes to the car at Imola…something like Mclaren’s B-spec which ended up being exactly the same car both visually and performance wise!

The gradual introduction of upgrades may help them recognize which updated part works and which doesn’t! But if they’re planning to change the whole aero philosophy of the car from the front to the back then yes they should introduce it all at once…

We’ve said it again in here and I’m going to say it again now! The only thing they tried with this car was to eliminate porposing and nothing else! That seems to have been their only concern when designing this car…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

wogx

Wolff no longer wants to force changes to chase Red Bull

Toto Wolff referred to the situation last year, when Mercedes forced a change in the rules in order to give itself a chance to catch Red Bull.

The 2022 Azerbaijan GP was the beginning of the Austrian team's communication campaign to get the FIA to respond by modifying the rules for the 2023 season, a mission that was successful, but the Brackley-based squad missed its chance and opened this year's competition with a car that does not meet its championship expectations.

The new regulations have not only failed to help Mercedes, but also didn't hit Red Bull, which now has less competition than a year ago and is carrying easy victories to the finish line. As a result, during Sunday's media briefing, Toto was asked whether he thought that with a better understanding of the regulations, the big advantage would eventually disappear, just as it did for the engines that ensured the Silver Arrows' dominance.

- There is always a risk [that this won't happen] if one team is so far ahead," Wolff said. - Today they made up 20 seconds over Leclerc in 40 laps of normal driving, or 0.5 seconds per lap. They pressed on, so at least we can see that this is their real pace.

- If they're 0.5 seconds ahead, we have a long way to go. We either need to do a better job of catching them or change the regulations. However, I don't think we should do the latter. I don't want to, because we have to deserve to win, and that means being smarter and developing faster than Red Bull.

Asked later if he believed his team could afford to come close to the Bulls later this year, he replied: - I think we can make up ground. If we can handle the platform, it won't necessarily be a matter of adding 10 points of downforce.

- It's more a matter of making sure that when drivers turn and enter a corner, they don't feel that the rear of the car wants to overtake them. This is where the problem lies. Then we can make up the losses, just like we did last year. That is why the regulations should not be changed again.... And that's because of us, because we'll lose again on this! - he laughed.

Wolff appealed, however, not to expect miracles from the improvements, which are due in a few weeks in Italy.

- The goal is Imola, but we need to keep everyone's expectations in check. You guys are talking so much about these improvements, and after all, it's not going to be that we're going to go out on the track and double up on Red Bull. This package, on the other hand, is a good base.
https://parcfer.me/f1/wolff-nie-chce-wy ... 8l3mBEole8
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Mercedes did not anticipate that the NEW asphalt in Baku would allow for a lower ride height with less bumps.

Others benefited from this more than the Black Arrows. Until now, Mercedes has designed its concept for higher ground clearance at the rear.

PlatinumZealot

Same old weak rear down-force story. Same problem from 2021. Same problem from 2017 and 2015.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028