2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

2019 Chinese GP was a horror show performance wise if you re-call? Those long slow corners…
The result was terrible as well, didn’t Lando and Carlos tangled on the first lap?
Just a fan's point of view

BMMR61

CjC wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 12:21
2019 Chinese GP was a horror show performance wise if you re-call? Those long slow corners…
The result was terrible as well, didn’t Lando and Carlos tangled on the first lap?
Taken out by Torpedo Kvyat from memory, with better days around the corner from mid 2019, though nothing like late 2023.

Albert Fabrega has interesting shot of new MCL38 wing for this weekend.
Last edited by BMMR61 on 07 Mar 2024, 15:11, edited 7 times in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Tomsky wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 11:36
I watched the onboard of Lando's race tonight. To be honest I wanted to sleep a lot and watched the last third of the race either with my eyes closed or slightly ajar. But even so I noticed a general trend: as long as the tyres are fresh, there are either no or minimal problems. But as soon as the tyres gradually begin to go away, there is a problem with understeer at the entrance to slow corners. It's the same chassis weakness that we had last year. That's why Mercedes are driving a bit more consistently and can get closer to McLaren towards the end of the stint.

Having said that, I'm not ready to call this lack of handling that it's due to front tyre wear. It's something else. As a rule, with McLaren it always happens, regardless of which axle is more loaded and which tyres wear faster during the race stints. Let me just say, the longer the stretch after the pitstop, the lazier the front end gets.

BMMR61

LionsHeart wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 14:53
Tomsky wrote:
I watched the onboard of Lando's race tonight. To be honest I wanted to sleep a lot and watched the last third of the race either with my eyes closed or slightly ajar. But even so I noticed a general trend: as long as the tyres are fresh, there are either no or minimal problems. But as soon as the tyres gradually begin to go away, there is a problem with understeer at the entrance to slow corners. It's the same chassis weakness that we had last year. That's why Mercedes are driving a bit more consistently and can get closer to McLaren towards the end of the stint.

Having said that, I'm not ready to call this lack of handling that it's due to front tyre wear. It's something else. As a rule, with McLaren it always happens, regardless of which axle is more loaded and which tyres wear faster during the race stints. Let me just say, the longer the stretch after the pitstop, the lazier the front end gets.
Yet Lando was getting closer to George later in the race until he got within about 2 seconds and the dirty air. Not saying you aren't right about this characteristic though, maybe it was highlighted on such an aggressive surface.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

BMMR61 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 15:03
LionsHeart wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 14:53
Tomsky wrote:

Yet Lando was getting closer to George later in the race until he got within about 2 seconds and the dirty air. Not saying you aren't right about this characteristic though, maybe it was highlighted on such an aggressive surface.
That's probably true. But in this case it has nothing to do with it. There was a similar characteristic of the chassis last year. The whole race Lando struggled with the front end. He even had to turn the steering wheel earlier on the entrance to Turn 14 to get exactly on the exit. But at times he turned so early that he clipped the inside kerb. He also had to turn so early that he had to countersteer, otherwise he would have hit the inside curb with his bottom. The dirty air from George was only towards the end of the race, and Lando struggled with the car almost all race alone. There was no one in his way.

Tomsky has it right above. This trait has been inherent in McLaren for a very long time. I wrote about it as far back as last year and I'm sure it was Alonso who taught the car to drive in a similar fashion. He is the one who likes understeer and knows how to tuck a lazy front end into a corner with a quick smooth steering motion. However, Alonso has been driving like this his entire racing career.

I remember the story of Webber, Button and Alonso, driving for Benetton. Jenson then pointed out that Alonso's incomprehensible crooked driving style helped him go faster. They were both amused and confused as to how it worked. There are lots of videos of Alonso's onboarding on YouTube. You can't mistake his driving style and the way he turns the steering wheel for anyone else.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Lando was also pushing very hard after his last pitstop - much faster than most on the track. That surely took some tire life.

SilviuAgo

After FP1 order seems Red Bull, Alonso, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I don't think that is conclusive. The running plans were quite different.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Correct. Even Lando and Oscar were not on the same run plan

SilviuAgo

Any idea why a promising flying lap from Oscar was aborted? He was green on S1, purple on S2 but received the "box" message. Why the team is canceling such a lap?

geogate
geogate

cos it is practice and they are following the program. Look, i know they arnt, but looks for all the world like Mclaren are sandbagging haha

Emag
Emag

To be honest it's not looking amazing here. Improvement from hard to soft was not as much as you would expect so I believe there's more time on the board, but Lando complained of bottoming.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Clearly we are turned down...let's hope AMR and Merc are not. How is long run pace looking? We are also running a very weird program...both drivers have aborted their best laps multiple times in both FPs

propercare
propercare

Not great ove quick lap and over long run. I hope the car didn't lost the mid and high corner advantage it had last year.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

It seems as though whilst we have managed to improve the car across all areas we have perhaps slipped into a zone of being decent in every department whilst excelling in none. Of course the picture has not been fully painted but for a track that is expected to suit the car well we are a little lacking.
I've not seen any footage but it seems as though the drivers are lacking a little confidence through the medium and high speed stuff due to the front end.

Is there anyway to see any on board footage for either of the guys qualy sim?