2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

SilviuAgo wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 19:35
Any idea why a promising flying lap from Oscar was aborted? He was green on S1, purple on S2 but received the "box" message. Why the team is canceling such a lap?
They are just running their own programme, slightly different to others. Possibly hiding some pace.

Zak seems content that the FP2 times don't reflect where they are, so definitely have more pace in the bag.

SilviuAgo

Quali sim run doesn't look good, race sim doesn't look good, car is bottoming, speed is lowest....Hope to be only a preparing "Friday FP" for a good performance in quali and race. McLaren usually is not showing real pace in the first day (being Friday or Thursday :))

Last edited by SilviuAgo on 07 Mar 2024, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.

michl420
michl420

SilviuAgo wrote:
Any idea why a promising flying lap from Oscar was aborted? He was green on S1, purple on S2 but received the "box" message. Why the team is canceling such a lap?
I would say because they where a bit short of time and s3 is just 2 turns.

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

Mcl_G10 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:24
It seems as though whilst we have managed to improve the car across all areas we have perhaps slipped into a zone of being decent in every department whilst excelling in none. Of course the picture has not been fully painted but for a track that is expected to suit the car well we are a little lacking.
I've not seen any footage but it seems as though the drivers are lacking a little confidence through the medium and high speed stuff due to the front end.

Is there anyway to see any on board footage for either of the guys qualy sim?
Regarding the above quote and many others,
Feels like a dramatic overreaction, team was upbeat before the race from Bahrain to yesterday's interviews, they have all the data and expect to be better.
I find it very hard to believe given were AM were in last week's race that they are the class of the field, especially after Alonso said they are running higher modes compared to others during FP.
Lastly, always remember to take a look at last year's Silverstone FPs to remind yourself FP doesn't matter as much as people think.
Let's take a deep breath and wait for tomorrow to draw conclusions.

Xero

michl420 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:54
SilviuAgo wrote:
I would say because they where a bit short of time and s3 is just 2 turns.
Did seem they were trying to dial out the bottoming out issues, so that sounds about right. Slightly on the back foot, but they don't sound massively concerned.

SilviuAgo

organic

Worth noting that Merc's "long runs" were abnormally short. 4 laps by each driver

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Oscar's lap on mediums before he aborted was almost half a second faster than his fast lap on softs. Not sure what's going on with the tyres here

SilviuAgo

organic wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:33
Worth noting that Merc's "long runs" were abnormally short. 4 laps by each driver
Yup. hard to read for all the teams the pace but this are the data available after this FP2. The alternative is to wait for Saturday race to see the pace for each team :lol:

Mansell89
Mansell89

Obviously not high on the time sheets today but there was a glimpse of pace in Oscars mediums lap that he aborted by pitting.

Loads to come tomorrow IMO- but think Ferrari very much underplayed their hand today and that they might be a pole threat tomorrow.

Pretty sure Aston will drop back when everyone turns their engines up to a similar level but it will be fine margins in qualifying before the race sorts it out.

Be nice if we could keep a fresh set of softs for a late SC but not sure if it is possible.

mwillems

F1.com puts us in a tight fight for second.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... YB4Ad.html

For what that's worth
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

ripleysend
ripleysend

Given the lead sponsors of AM, and the ownership structure of McL, I'm not in the least surprised that both AM this week and McL last week made sure to put in at least one strong showing in FPs respectively. Of course, AMs relative pace could have dramatically changed since last weekend due to the different nature of this circuit.
McLarenMor wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:58
Mcl_G10 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:24
It seems as though whilst we have managed to improve the car across all areas we have perhaps slipped into a zone of being decent in every department whilst excelling in none. Of course the picture has not been fully painted but for a track that is expected to suit the car well we are a little lacking.
I've not seen any footage but it seems as though the drivers are lacking a little confidence through the medium and high speed stuff due to the front end.

Is there anyway to see any on board footage for either of the guys qualy sim?
Regarding the above quote and many others,
Feels like a dramatic overreaction, team was upbeat before the race from Bahrain to yesterday's interviews, they have all the data and expect to be better.
I find it very hard to believe given were AM were in last week's race that they are the class of the field, especially after Alonso said they are running higher modes compared to others during FP.
Lastly, always remember to take a look at last year's Silverstone FPs to remind yourself FP doesn't matter as much as people think.
Let's take a deep breath and wait for tomorrow to draw conclusions.

MTudor
MTudor

I found this really ijteresting article:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-initi ... =share_via

MTudor
MTudor

Jambier wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 00:16
Last year they were also agressive in wanting Norris.

It will be increasingly difficult to keep Lando at McLaren if they are not starting to grab wins

Bla bla bla

MTudor
MTudor

Tomsky wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 11:36

Oh the same old crap!!!
I'm tired seeing this kind of articles!!!