Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mkay
mkay

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Morteza wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 15:04
Mercedes have gone for more downforce now
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDN8js1XkAAizPr.jpg
You mean... less downforce?

Morteza

mkay wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 15:06
Morteza wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 15:04
Mercedes have gone for more downforce now
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EDN8js1XkAAizPr.jpg
You mean... less downforce?
So sorry, my bad :oops: Edited the post
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SiLo

Makes sense, I think that was way too much wing even for them.
Felipe Baby!

CLKGTR
CLKGTR

Probably just an Singapore rear wing evaluation.

dans79

Are they running the new engine today?
201 105 104 9 9 7

atanatizante

digitalrurouni wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 17:38
zibby43 wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 17:33
Merc introducing their Spec 3 PU at Spa for both the works and customer teams.

https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 51330?s=21
Oh wow! Right in time for Spa and Monza. Wonder what they are bringing to the table. Outright increase in horsepower OR better ERS deployment/recovery?
My understanding is that all engine manufacturers are secondary focused on high peek ICE power output, coz they already went to what is said to be the law of diminishing returns.

Nowadays they are more focused on those PU areas:
1. Running PU in higher modes for a longer time in the race, hence reliability;
2. ICE drivability but most of all increasing the low peak power output or better say more peak power at lower revs;
3. Fuel consumption in order to start the race under fueled thus gaining time over a lap;
4. New lubs but most of all new fuel formula. This particular area is responsible for HP increasing over time.

That`s why is not a BS when both drivers said new spec. is not much powerful than the old one. Reporters think is all about peak power output ... not anymore today!
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

digitalrurouni
digitalrurouni

atanatizante wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 16:53
digitalrurouni wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 17:33
Merc introducing their Spec 3 PU at Spa for both the works and customer teams.

https://twitter.com/albertfabrega/statu ... 51330?s=21
Oh wow! Right in time for Spa and Monza. Wonder what they are bringing to the table. Outright increase in horsepower OR better ERS deployment/recovery?
My understanding is that all engine manufacturers are secondary focused on high peek ICE power output, coz they already went to what is said to be the law of diminishing returns.

2. ICE drivability but most of all increasing the low peak power output or better say more peak power at lower revs;
3. Fuel consumption in order to start the race under fueled thus gaining time over a lap;
4. New lubs but most of all new fuel formula. This particular area is responsible for HP increasing over time.

That`s why is not a BS when both drivers said new spec. is not much powerful than the old one. Reporters think is all about peak power output ... not anymore today!
Yeah that makes sense - the area under the curve is what needs to be expanded not the peaks. Makes total sense. That said the Racing Point engine immolation is not a good sign at all! It's a new PU for this weekend!

zibby43
zibby43

digitalrurouni wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 17:07
atanatizante wrote:
digitalrurouni wrote:

Yeah that makes sense - the area under the curve is what needs to be expanded not the peaks. Makes total sense. That said the Racing Point engine immolation is not a good sign at all! It's a new PU for this weekend!
I think it’s a problem with Racing Point’s cooling configuration, which is different than Merc’s.

atanatizante

zibby43 wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 17:35
digitalrurouni wrote:
atanatizante wrote:

I think it’s a problem with Racing Point’s cooling configuration, which is different than Merc’s.
Had I`m not wrong, RP uses the whole rear Merc package comprising of PU, gearbox but not lubs@fuel ... and also has different radiators and cooling system ... and least bot not last, their own rear suspension, of course ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

zibby43
zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 21:13
zibby43 wrote:
30 Aug 2019, 17:35
digitalrurouni wrote:

Had I`m not wrong, RP uses the whole rear Merc package comprising of PU, gearbox but not lubs@fuel ... and also has different radiators and cooling system ... and least bot not last, their own rear suspension, of course ...
Think that is correct. We had a peek at RP's new cooling setup a few races ago.

RP confirmed it was a loss of oil pressure for Perez. Still waiting to see if the PU is salvageable.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Going by the onboard noises, I doubt it, it sounded like it had spun a bearing or two.

F1NAC

SiLo

Damage is a lot less than I expected. He should be fine for Quali but will be compromised on setup potentially. I don't think it will affect his race pace though as that setup would mostly be complete by FP2.
Felipe Baby!

Shrieker

Anyone think the monocoque is damaged ? Hard to tell with 1 photo tho.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

MtthsMlw

https://twitter.com/andihaupt1/status/1 ... 86976?s=19
Shrieker wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 14:12
Anyone think the monocoque is damaged ? Hard to tell with 1 photo tho.