Red Bull RB18

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
toraabe
toraabe

Re: Red Bull RB18

mendis wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 08:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 01:26
Alexf1 wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 22:12

Yes, Perez floor type was a bit more suited for his driving style: more rear DF. He can't cope with more front balanced grip (hear his qualy radio comment I can't handle more front flap) More front DF brings more laptime when handled correctly
It was half a second slower.
It's a shame. They have to do different configurations to help slower Perez as he can't handle the same, faster configuration as Max. Every team would want two drivers who like the similar configuration of cars. Red Bull are like HRC in MotoGP. Only Marc can make the bike win, like Max does.
One driver can.
'Leclerc

The same story with him and Vettel. Both likes a biting front with a loose rear,

vorticism

Presumably back to a single beam wing for Monza.
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 23:22
Development has likely halted on the RB18 in favor of the RB19. They'll probably just be using whatever is in the parts bin from the last rounds.

organic

vorticism wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 23:22
Yeah almost certainly unless they have a Monza-specific BW developed already (without knowing they'd be so far ahead at this point). Though any Monza specific BW seems likely to be a single element

vorticism

I though for a moment they might omit the beam wing for Monza, and there might be some capacity to do something like this. There is no minimum number of sections for the region, although a certain % of the region must remain shadowed by the bodywork therein, so total omission is not possible. No more than 40k mm2 of the region visible from above--perhaps someone can visualize in CAD. Maybe a stub wing that doesn't connect the endplate to the CS f.e. Or a narrow single beam wing, or a flat beam wing parallel to the diffuser.
𓄀

PlatinumZealot

The. Beam wing is still an efficient device because it is shrouded by other frontal bodywork and it still helps the floor.

The RedBull is very slippery so I'm expecting less Monza specific changes for this car when compared to others.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

aleks_ader

Ehh just put shallower RW as possible. More will collapse inner workings of diffuser and tunnel flow structures. Beamwing is in mine opinion very sensitive device and i think removing it makes underfloor more inefficient. First lose all inefficient devices is key for Monza. LOW AoAs and traction takes priories ie rear suspension compliance is key.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

organic

Would not be surprised if team doesn't use a Monza-specific wing. Rest of tracks don't suit the low DF wing - they could conceivably trim their low downforce wing for Monza similar to other teams have done with their wings. Just depends if they had one in development I suppose

Cs98
Cs98

organic wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 15:30
Would not be surprised if team doesn't use a Monza-specific wing. Rest of tracks don't suit the low DF wing - they could conceivably trim their low downforce wing for Monza similar to other teams have done with their wings. Just depends if they had one in development I suppose
Like you said, doubt they'd develop a rear wing just for Monza. Maybe it could be carried over for next year, but that seems a bit far-fetched IMO. They might do the old cutaway DRS flap on their low DF rear wing, similar to Merc in Jeddah. Though I suspect their normal low DF wing, with the single element beam wing will make them very competitive on the straights.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

toraabe wrote:
05 Sep 2022, 13:42
mendis wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 08:03
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 01:26

It was half a second slower.
It's a shame. They have to do different configurations to help slower Perez as he can't handle the same, faster configuration as Max. Every team would want two drivers who like the similar configuration of cars. Red Bull are like HRC in MotoGP. Only Marc can make the bike win, like Max does.
One driver can.
'Leclerc

The same story with him and Vettel. Both likes a biting front with a loose rear,
Albon has commented on this before, he said he was always the guy who had the most pointy car in any other category, untill he was at red bull and Max takes it to another extreme.

Henk_v
Henk_v

I'll endulge myself with one non technical post;

Having such a pointy car and STILL being able to take good care of the tyres baffles me.

Some drivers have made a name for themselves in their tyre management, but somehow Max seems to pull a tyre advantage out of the hat at the moments it really matters.

Tyre management to me is so much more than being able to keep them alive for many Laps. Type management is smoking the tyres for laptime when it matters and surprising your competitor with how good your tyres are when it matters.

Offcourse thats not just max, thats a team effort with strategy.

organic

Henk_v wrote:
06 Sep 2022, 17:44
I'll endulge myself with one non technical post;

Having such a pointy car and STILL being able to take good care of the tyres baffles me.

Some drivers have made a name for themselves in their tyre management, but somehow Max seems to pull a tyre advantage out of the hat at the moments it really matters.

Tyre management to me is so much more than being able to keep them alive for many Laps. Type management is smoking the tyres for laptime when it matters and surprising your competitor with how good your tyres are when it matters.

Offcourse thats not just max, thats a team effort with strategy.
Listen to his radio in Zandvoort and it's mostly about tyre saving. It's a huge part of what they're focusing on for majority of race.

Max was consistently saving such that he lost 4-5 tenths to others in the race on turns 7&8 and then making use of their tyres at turns 9&10 to make it back. For their car they mostly tyre save in the fast corners and then use the rubber on the slow corners. Their soft setup owes well to this philosophy

organic

Good angle showing the new engine cover blister

dxpetrov
dxpetrov

Oh, man, you just revealed the secret bullet responsible for their pace upturn since Hungary (was it introduced there or Spa?!)! :D
Kidding aside, this car is just pure art, so joyful to watch!

vorticism

Andi76 wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 21:24
I am not sure if this is right. Scarbs was telling exactly the opposite - That it is a "Pro-Dive"-Suspension. Even if that made no sense to me, I agree with Scarbs this would be a pretty unusual Anti-Dive Geometry. But i am not an expert in Suspension Geometry. Maybe there is someone else here with more knowledge about this who can shed some light in who is right here. Scarbs with his Pro-Dive Geometry or this post.

I just can add that some other teams have a similar layout, but less extreme. So i do not think this suspension has anything to do with the RB18s less porpoising(i say less because the RB18 is porpoising, too, just at a lower amplitude than Ferrari and Mercedes). But thats just my opinion. On the other hand Scarbs indeed assumed that this "Pro-Dive"-Suspension probably helps against porpoising. Whats noticeable is that other cars, like i already said, have a similar but less extreme layout like the RB18. And a layout with the front rear wishbones both being lower than the front ones was never used before, i think. So probably it has something to do with the ground-effect cars and porpoising. Maybe there is someone with more knowledge here who can shed some light on this also.
I think it might be pro dive since it is inclined away (downward) from a line connecting presumed CoG, which might match the rumored oversteer centered development. Also, still no one has explained what the longbow is for. They've had it the past two cars, surely it is giving them some benefit.

organic wrote:
07 Sep 2022, 12:18
https://i.imgur.com/2N9IhDo.jpeg

Good angle showing the new engine cover blister
Interesting that it goes all the way up to the headrest. A sort of trailing edge for the headrest.

𓄀