Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

tok-tokkie wrote:Ringo you write:
What he says about tyres is interesting, I guess on the straights once the downforce is reduced on the rear wing with the duct, the rear grip reduces somewhat and the tyre wear may be a little more.
In the unsourced quote you gave he does not mention tyres. Care to elaborate?
sorry about that, http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84124
For Sure!!

Richard
Richard

Sorry to go back to the airbox/fin design again , but ....

How will this function in a roll on gravel? Surely the blade is likely to dig in compared to a conventional hoop with a broader section? I assume that the camera amount is frangible and not crash tested?

Would this:
- Result in less clearance to the helmet?
- The fin catching on the garvel leading to flip, compared to a hoop that would allow the car to roll more smoothly?

I'd be interested to hear of any tests for the above scenarios.

Italiano
Italiano

I have yet to see a rool hoop do it's job very successfully, it always digs a bit in. Trivial nonsense. The FIA allowed it, end of story.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

aral
aral

richard_leeds wrote:Sorry to go back to the airbox/fin design again , but ....

How will this function in a roll on gravel? Surely the blade is likely to dig in compared to a conventional hoop with a broader section? I assume that the camera amount is frangible and not crash tested?

Would this:
- Result in less clearance to the helmet?
- The fin catching on the garvel leading to flip, compared to a hoop that would allow the car to roll more smoothly?

I'd be interested to hear of any tests for the above scenarios.
The FIA are disallowing the Mercedes rollover bar next year. They will have to conform to the normal standard and will also have to have a normal airbox. Not written into the regs yet, but it will be.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

gilgen wrote: The FIA are disallowing the Mercedes rollover bar next year. They will have to conform to the normal standard and will also have to have a normal airbox. Not written into the regs yet, but it will be.
:wtf: Why should they? Source?

raymondu999

the rollbar/hoop/fin/thing I can understand being banned. But the airbox?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

aral
aral

Ganxxta wrote:
gilgen wrote: The FIA are disallowing the Mercedes rollover bar next year. They will have to conform to the normal standard and will also have to have a normal airbox. Not written into the regs yet, but it will be.
FIA website!I suppose that they feel that it is within the current rules, but does not give the protection that is deemed neccessary. The airbox?, presumably to ensure that blades are not used again, and everybody has a reason to have a better shape to the rollover bar.

TheRMVR

gilgen wrote:
Ganxxta wrote:
FIA website!I suppose that they feel that it is within the current rules, but does not give the protection that is deemed neccessary. The airbox?, presumably to ensure that blades are not used again, and everybody has a reason to have a better shape to the rollover bar.
I can't find it anywhere. Do have a link?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I cannot find a thing about the banning of Mercedes roll structure. Nor should it be banned! If it complies with regs, why bother banning it?
If it provides the same strength protecion as as a normal hoop, there should be no difference. People concerned with the shape of it should remember that all structures will dig in at some stage, and I bet it wouldn't be any different to the normal ones. In fact if it were to be going straight or slightly aft it could prove even better.

Just dont like the "banning" of anything that is deemed legal to start with.
More could have been done.
David Purley

ringo

It wont be much different. It digs and a typical roll hope scoops down.
Same difference.

I feel that this tower styled roll hope had all considerations of an accident put into it's design. Mercedes would not risk the lives of their drivers, for such a small innovation.
For Sure!!

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:I cannot find a thing about the banning of Mercedes roll structure. Nor should it be banned! If it complies with regs, why bother banning it?
If it provides the same strength protecion as as a normal hoop, there should be no difference. People concerned with the shape of it should remember that all structures will dig in at some stage, and I bet it wouldn't be any different to the normal ones. In fact if it were to be going straight or slightly aft it could prove even better.

Just dont like the "banning" of anything that is deemed legal to start with.

Last night, I accessed the FIA site, to read the stewards report on Turkey. The only report was about an incident involving Di Grassi. Also on this site, there were a number of other reports, including one on the Mercedes roll-over bar, which I posted about. Tonight, trying to access the site, I keep getting blocked. So think that maybe there was a fault in the site last night that allowed unauthorised access. But, I can assure you, that the info was definetly on the FIA site last night. If you donn't want to believe me, that is your perogative, but I know what I saw. Most peculiar!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Gilgen

Not calling you liar. Just find it ridiculous if it is banned.

If its the Turkish stewards advice thats one thing, but how could they advise when the mercs roll hoop wasnt used as a crash structure at the race?
Seems innovation isnt high on the FIA list....how depressing
More could have been done.
David Purley

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Gilgen

Not calling you liar. Just find it ridiculous if it is banned.

If its the Turkish stewards advice thats one thing, but how could they advise when the mercs roll hoop wasnt used as a crash structure at the race?
Seems innovation isnt high on the FIA list....how depressing
No, it was not the Turkish stewards report. But it was while I was looking for this, having googled it, I found it possible to open other reports. But today, even the Turkish stewards report is not accessible!

PlatinumZealot

They can always put a "T" shape on top of the blade i think.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

siskue2005

n smikle wrote:They can always put a "T" shape on top of the blade i think.
exactly what i was thinking