USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Pup wrote:So how do the rumors about Geoff Willis and Kolles fit into this? Has Hurley hired them as replacements for Anderson and Windsor? Are those two officially AWOL now?
One can only hope!
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

WhiteBlue

Check the latest from Joe Saward on the situation.

It would make sense for Hurley to push out Windsor (off to Speed he goes back) and replace Anderson with an experienced team principal. What is Rahal doing nowadays?

RLR did not get off in 2009 and I can imagine that Bobby thinks he has unfinished business in F1. A guy like Hurley would certainly look for someone who has a valid track record of doing F1, open wheel team boss and American background. Rahal would instantly be recognized in the USA and give the whole team a new credibility. He could be the household name in the US to get the sponsors to sign on and people to watch F1. I guess his name has still massive pulling power in the US.

Hurley could increase his share holding, reduce Andersons, oust Windsor and increase his chances of success considerably. It is not unusual that venture capitalists screw the founders to "optimize" a business. Bringing in a real US racing name would certainly be a massive coup.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

segedunum
segedunum

WhiteBlue wrote:What is Rahal doing nowadays?
Rahal's name isn't worth anything in Formula One after Jaguar after Ford brought him in basically because he was American. He ended up having a signed contract with Adrian Newey but Newey stayed at McLaren for a period of years (I'm sure that's how he ended up at Red Bull who were Jaguar) and ended up getting fired for a joke offloading of Eddie Irvine. He's not the right material.

WhiteBlue

segedunum wrote:
Rahal's name isn't worth anything in Formula One after Jaguar after Ford brought him in basically because he was American. He ended up having a signed contract with Adrian Newey but Newey stayed at McLaren for a period of years (I'm sure that's how he ended up at Red Bull who were Jaguar) and ended up getting fired for a joke offloading of Eddie Irvine. He's not the right material.
I do not agree with that. The questions are: Would he understand F1. Would he be a magnet in the US for F1. Would he be able to do the job with an owner who knows what he wants (not like Ford)? Would he attract sponsors? Does he have prior job records of successfully filling the job. I think Bobby Rahal would fill all those points. But there are probably others as well.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

WhiteBlue wrote:I think Bobby Rahal would fill all those points. But there are probably others as well.
Him.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Mr Alcatraz

WhiteBlue wrote:
segedunum wrote:
I do not agree with that. The questions are: Would he understand F1. Would he be a magnet in the US for F1. Would he be able to do the job with an owner who knows what he wants (not like Ford)? Would he attract sponsors? Does he have prior job records of successfully filling the job. I think Bobby Rahal would fill all those points. But there are probably others as well.
His son is a pretty good country OW pilot, a real comer.
I don't think it was a coincidence that he (Graham a nobody at the time)
was driving the F1.06 at the 2008 BMW-Sauber Pit lane Park here in the states.
Bobby's name still carries a lot of weight here in the US of A.
A hell of a lot more Americans would have taken USF1 seriously
if his name instead of Pee Wee's was associated with it JMHFO.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

xpensive
xpensive

segedunum wrote:
Oh, that's a sad story, BR was screwed by Lauda the Rat and Irvine, conspiring at Ibiza to get rid of him. Lauda went on to prove he had basically no clue as how to run a team, just to be paid off big time by Ford to to leave quitely.

But not as sad as USF1, how could anyone take PeeWee and KA seriously?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

f1ar
f1ar

Richard
Richard

Its kicking off over in Charlotte - just after Eric Warren sad their were positive developments this week. The story below says Hurley has pulled out ... or maybe not!

Whilst there is uncertainty about Hurley, it does see that one of two of those single desk offices will be empty next week?
motorsport.com wrote:A key member of the new American entrant USF1 is believed to have left the team.

Brian Bonner, the team's head of business development, is no longer working with USF1, amid rumours the YouTube founder and CEO Chad Hurley has ceased his backing of the Charlotte based operation.

Bonner, 50, is a former Indycar driver, and now co-director of the B4 Marketing company.

Another rumour is that Hurley could be interested in joining forces with Campos, the other embattled new F1 team, with the hopeful Serbian outfit Stefan GP also possibly involved.

At the same time, there are rumours that some other USF1 team members are growing impatient at delays in being paid.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 7797&FS=F1

f1ar
f1ar

http://translate.google.com.ar/translat ... auto&tl=en

Apparently Pechito is now looking for a seat in either Stefan or Campos.

Belatti
Belatti

f1ar wrote:It was fun while it lasted #-o

http://translate.google.com.ar/translat ... auto&tl=en
Here the translation:

Handbrake to "Pechito" Lopez and his hope in F1
Peter Windsor, director of the U.S. F1 admits it will not be ready and do not know if they will run in 2010. The Argentinean could go to Campos Meta o. .. ¿to Stefan GP?

A bomb exploded yesterday in the vicinity of Jose Maria Lopez. Now came the news that the U.S. F1 team not only run the first three races, but it is not known whether he can take part in the 2010 season of Formula One

Peter Windsor, sporting director of the team, gathered at the headquarters of Charlotte with the entrepreneur Felipe McGough and Jose Lopez (father), he admits that it will not build F1 cars of the U.S. within the agreed timeframe and, with tears in eyes, do not know what to do with his project. From Germany, the publication Motorsport had launched another worrying news for the future of the team: chief investor in U.S. F1, Chad Hurley (co-founder of the site http://www.youtube.com) would have left the car and negotiates their venture dollars with another: Campos Meta, the Spanish team.

Tired of the lack of progress in the construction of F1 cars from the U.S., Hurley would have left the U.S. team and contacted the Spanish, who have their cars ready Dallara but he needed urgent funding for the Italians will give him the cars. So little money was coming into the U.S. F1 that Cosworth had not sent the engines and was working in a "imitation" of the impeller.

Yesterday, a senior source told the website TheF1 that Campos will announce the name of the new investor in the coming hours. You Tube?

At the highest level

If confirmed officially, the renunciation of Windsor rub the highest political level because it was he who took the photo with the president of Argentina, Cristina Fernandez, and "Pechito" the day of the agreement to be F1 pilot. But above all, because Argentina agreed to pay up-way Automóvil Club Argentino-two million dollars, of which, 830 thousand and were deposited in a U.S. bank account.

If the U.S. finally drops F1, its place would be occupied by a team that, at the hands of Bernie Ecclestone, is struggling to come to the F1: the Stefan GP, the billionaire Serbian Zoran Stefanovic.

Perspective views, Ecclestone's words were prophetic. Repeated for weeks that he was not sure the U.S. F1 and Fields would take part in F1. On the sayings of the "head" of F1 always maintained that they were part of a move to pressure the weaker fall off (Is the U.S. F1?) And thus, making the GP Stefan would enter the grid as the 13th participant.

It is known that Stefanovic-friend of Ecclestone, bought in 2009 what was the Toyota team has two cars ready and even joined a pilot, Japanese Kazuki Nakajima (who put money in the development of the team). Even on 2 February, sources of Stefan GP announced the shipment of a container fitted with 12 meters to Bahrain and mechanical parts with the intention of being in the starting grid in the first race of the 2010 season, 14 March.

Radio silence

Yesterday, the closest to "Pechito" refused from making official statements. "For now we are same, although we have asked U.S. F1 team reports to know what they are. And we know they are very complicated, said a source in the environment.

Although pessimistic about the future of the U.S. F1, opened a light of hope for "Pechito" who is in Europe after his training in Austria. Both the Campos Meta (or whatever the next few days) as the Stefan GP have only confirmed driver and should fasten the second to go running.

In Spain, long ago known as the Brazilian Bruno Senna will be in the game, while for the Serbian run the Nakajima said. "Maybe this will be for good and 'Pechito' ends in a car running better than the U.S. F1" The same source told the World D.
Para eso, McGough y López (padre) viajaron ayer desde Charlotte hacia Europa. For this reason, and McGough Lee (father) traveled yesterday from Charlotte to Europe. The intention is to urgently meet with Ecclestone and negotiate the entry of "Pechito" one of the two teams. For the leaks about the tone of the meeting with Windsor will be difficult to do business again.

Now, bet that Bernie makes them a wink. We know you want to Lopez in the season and is ready to handle the situation. McGough has worked with Ecclestone and will be responsible for negotiation in the coming days.

World D tried to contact last night with leaders of the Argentine Automobile Club, to know their position on the issue, but the search was fruitless.[/quote]

In the coming days, will have to see what happens to the eight million dollars that the U.S. had asked for F1 Lopez is a pilot, both the State and private sponsors. Renegotiation in Europe raises new questions, and the dream of "Pechito" no longer seems so placid.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Belatti
Belatti

Peewee was crying...

Its a though world... :lol:
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Richard
Richard

I read that story from the link on here and searched for other stories. Can't find any at all. Its unusual that such a big story has not been picked up anywhere else?

Giblet
Giblet

Benefit of doubt fading. Bandwagon of hate pulling up to front door.

All that time, talk, bloat, gas, to crush a nose cone on a high speed camera.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

madtown77
madtown77

Might just be a republishing of rumors, as most have admitted the latest stories have been. Still, looks bleak.

I don't think any story tying Hurley to Campos makes any sense. My understanding is that he "ran into" peter/ken when they were leaving another sponser. They sold him on the idea and he gave them some initial capital to get started. Doesn't sound like a racer, he has plenty of other interests so why sink millions into a typically poor performing investment?

This article would have me more worried:

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 7797&FS=F1

Why does a skunkworks operation need a head of business development?
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Formula SAE: '06, '07, '08, '09

2007 Formula SAE World Champions
2008 Formula SAE at VIR Champions
2009 We switched engines and learned a lot...the hard way