Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Mercedes GP W02

shelly wrote:I think they are slots, not sluts. Sluts on the front wing could be an intersting concept though
Oops! :oops: I was watching Friends when I posted this. Joey must have influenced me a lot you know :wink:
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Ferraripilot

Wow, they closed up the slot. Or perhaps only experimenting?

Morteza

Ferraripilot wrote:Wow, they closed up the slot. Or perhaps only experimenting?
Maybe yes. I just don't understand why they have been sticking to this wing for 3 years now! They have tweaked it a little bit, but now they are going back to what it was before. Is this the case of you cannot improve the perfection or they just have no idea about where they are going with it?
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TURU
TURU

Morteza AMG wrote: I just don't understand why they are using this wing for 3 years now! They have tweaked it a little bit, but now they are going back to what it was before.
Considering that they indeed seem to have gone back to the old one, the simplest and therefore most probable answer would be that they are just being clueless. :mrgreen:

siskue2005

TURU wrote:
Morteza AMG wrote: I just don't understand why they are using this wing for 3 years now! They have tweaked it a little bit, but now they are going back to what it was before.
Considering that they indeed seem to have gone back to the old one, the simplest and therefore most probable answer would be that they are just being clueless. :mrgreen:
70% of the current field copied their front wing philosophy from Brawn back in 2009 :roll:
if they are going back to their original, it means that their wing is perfect

the only thing it misses is the flexing like Mclaren, RBR and Ferrari 2010

TURU
TURU

siskue2005 wrote: 70% of the current field copied their front wing philosophy from Brawn back in 2009 :roll:
That is a bit brave statement.

siskue2005

TURU wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: 70% of the current field copied their front wing philosophy from Brawn back in 2009 :roll:
That is a bit brave statement.
care to explain?!

atanatizante

dren wrote:Sounds like both Schumacher and Nico were happy with the progress. They both said the car is closer to what they had in Barcelona. There are still some improvements to come before the race. They look to be in better shape than Ferrari and Renault at the moment.
Does anybody saw them running DRS, because I was watching on TV both FP1 and FP2 and they didn`t ...
Also driver Dirk Muller on Sport1 Germany said that too ... maybe they worked with a rain race in mind when they will not be allowed to use it?
By the way, how much worth it per lap not to run DRS?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Ferraripilot

The MB car to me is a completely different school of thought than anyone else on the field. Perhaps their two element wing fits into what they are doing perfectly which very possibly gives them the advantage for whatever methodology they are pioneering.

Haug was addressed regarding their front wing on W02 some time ago and IIRC was essentially asked why the wing was not substantially updated to which he replied there was no need.

The fancy Mark III wing they brought to Barcelona with the cascades and slot in the main plain was quickly disposed of. I wonder if the issue with that was because the front wing was generating too much downforce which unbalanced the back of the car. Thus could be the case now as well. Could this have to do with W02 having a much higher and thinner nose than the rest of the field which places more air in the path of the tea tray under the nose?

Also, the cover we are seeing I don't think is large enough to be covering the slots as the slots were much larger?

Ferraripilot

atanatizante wrote:
dren wrote:Sounds like both Schumacher and Nico were happy with the progress. They both said the car is closer to what they had in Barcelona. There are still some improvements to come before the race. They look to be in better shape than Ferrari and Renault at the moment.
Does anybody saw them running DRS, because I was watching on TV both FP1 and FP2 and they didn`t ...
Also driver Dirk Muller on Sport1 Germany said that too ... maybe they worked with a rain race in mind when they will not be allowed to use it?
They used it at some point as they mentioned it was working well (Schu did anyway), but I don't know if they used it in anger during their quickest laps. It should be worth something like .500+ at Sepang.

TURU
TURU

siskue2005 wrote: care to explain?!
Care to explain why do You think it's perfect, other than because they are unable to bring anything else (and make it work) for the 3rd year in a row?

The fact that they keep switching between various iterations of the wing and yet always return to the old one indicates that they are trying to improve it, but are unable to do so. This only leaves two possible explanations. Either, as you say, their two-element front wing is infinitely perfect, or they are being clueless. That's anyone's guess :twisted:

Morteza

Ferraripilot wrote:
Also, the cover we are seeing I don't think is large enough to be covering the slots as the slots were much larger?
Here's the picture of their wing in Australia with wing slots uncovered:

adrianjordan

Ferraripilot wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
They used it at some point as they mentioned it was working well (Schu did anyway), but I don't know if they used it in anger during their quickest laps. It should be worth something like .500+ at Sepang.
I distinctly remember seeing one shot looking back towards the rear wing onboard with Schumacher and he activated it, though (to me) it did seem like he waited longer than other drivers I'd seen onboard shots of.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

atanatizante

Some new bits and pieces:
1.Lime area: little barge boards on top on the sidepod and near the large one?
2.Purple area : slot for driver`s cooling?
3.Yellow area : a sensor? what for?
4.Brown area : interesting camera packaging to increase the air flow toward diffuser?
Jesus

atanatizante

I think it`s the smallest flap on the grid ...

And also Michael was running in FP2 (in the last 15 min.) with no gills over the exhaust pipe ... unfortunately I didn`t found a photo ...

Another cooling issue or a precautionary measure?
Jesus