Ferrari F14T

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Pierce89

Re: Ferrari F14T

The blog post above is totally baseless. Please don't perpetuate some rumor that the f14t has a problem with "sidepod drag".
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

lkm9719
lkm9719

this ferraris need more traction as they slide more than their rivals .........

SpainFAN
SpainFAN

Pierce89 wrote:The blog post above is totally baseless. Please don't perpetuate some rumor that the f14t has a problem with "sidepod drag".
Hi NuB here, I agree with your assessment and what I do see is that there is lateral separation of airflow on the corners and not drag as such.

I think the post has major flaws in assessing the issue, but no doubt the short station of the side pod with an abrupt tapering in the 65% range of camber would indicate laminar separation when cornering from the inside (side closes to the corners) and creating a differential in pressure on the outer side... generating more Cl on that side which is contraindicative of combating centrifugal force... So... the OP blog post was incorrect in claiming "drag" but is correct that the shape of the Ferrari is indicative of this problem. You can see in the picture posted as some of the airflow around the bottom of the side pod, the fluid creeps upward and forwards which is more indicative of turbulent flow. My guess anyways... :idea:

stefan_
stefan_

Monaco 2014 - Wednesday (21.05.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

diffuser

nice pictures ....

As expected nothing visually new.

eyalynf1
eyalynf1

Pierce89 wrote:The blog post above is totally baseless. Please don't perpetuate some rumor that the f14t has a problem with "sidepod drag".
I really do not understand people who will criticise a post and analysis without providing alternate analysis in rebuttal. The blog post above is not a "rumor" it's a hypothesis that is tested via analysis of aero concepts. If you want to criticise, address premises that you believe are false, or concepts/principles that you believe to be incorrectly interpreted or applied.

You are just taking cheap shots and not adding any fodder for discussion of the car.

lkm9719
lkm9719

The front wing is not develop as rivals, look quite normal
Rear end is quite fat, they should try to smooth the side pole to make more air to the rear to generate more downforce

wesley123
wesley123

Sidepods seem different. As far as I can remember the old ones were wider at the floor than at the top, now it seems to be of a smoother, shorter profile.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

beelsebob
beelsebob

wesley123 wrote:Sidepods seem different. As far as I can remember the old ones were wider at the floor than at the top, now it seems to be of a smoother, shorter profile.
I agree, the side pods have definitely got bulkier towards the back.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

wesley123 wrote:Sidepods seem different. As far as I can remember the old ones were wider at the floor than at the top, now it seems to be of a smoother, shorter profile.
The sidepods were changed in Spain.

Start of season

Bahrain Test:

Spain:

Monaco

Pierce89

SpainFAN wrote:
Hi NuB here, I agree with your assessment and what I do see is that there is lateral separation of airflow on the corners and not drag as such.

I think the post has major flaws in assessing the issue, but no doubt the short station of the side pod with an abrupt tapering in the 65% range of camber would indicate laminar separation when cornering from the inside (side closes to the corners) and creating a differential in pressure on the outer side... generating more Cl on that side which is contraindicative of combating centrifugal force... So... the OP blog post was incorrect in claiming "drag" but is correct that the shape of the Ferrari is indicative of this problem. You can see in the picture posted as some of the airflow around the bottom of the side pod, the fluid creeps upward and forwards which is more indicative of turbulent flow. My guess anyways... :idea:
I agree mostly with what you said about spotting some flow reversal, however, I disagree about it being an issue worthy of hand-wringing. Ferrari have what is obviously the third quickest chassis but I feel they are much closer to the front in terms of chassis performance than they have been. I think downforce-wise they are near as dammit to the Bull and the Merc, however Red Bull seems to have much better forward traction out of slower corners mechanically, while Merc probably has a chassis roughly equal to the Bull(rb10 probably has a small df advantage) but with a huge power and driveability advantage.

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Pierce89

eyalynf1 wrote:
I really do not understand people who will criticise a post and analysis without providing alternate analysis in rebuttal. The blog post above is not a "rumor" it's a hypothesis that is tested via analysis of aero concepts. If you want to criticise, address premises that you believe are false, or concepts/principles that you believe to be incorrectly interpreted or applied.

You are just taking cheap shots and not adding any fodder for discussion of the car.
I'm not taking cheap shots at all. I am working on a degree in aeronautical engineering, and frankly, some of the "analysis" I see in aerodynamics insults me. I don't go on forums for hardcore computing and start throwing around lies made up of terms I don't even understand. People should at least read some aerodynamic texts before making bold claims. Reading some of the armchair analysis on a topic as complex as aero actually makes people dumber. I don't like that. I just feel people should make it clear that they're doing nothing but stabbing in the dark instead of implying that they actually know what they're talking about.p

stefan_
stefan_

Monaco 2014 - Thursday (22.05.2014)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Just looking at the rather steep aft facing angle on the side pods isn't enough to conclude that he flow separates there. I agree with Pierce, the video shown is useless - it doesn't look like the results of a real CFD run (how could it be without the actual 14T car?), but like a too narrowly focused look at just one flow path while ignoring other aspects of the flow.

The flow is a complex 3D field. I could just as easily argue that the air pushed downward from the split point of the side pod exhaust extension (just above the WEICHAI logo) would help keep the flow attached at that steep adverse slope.

Only Ferrari knows what's actually going on at that location. The rest of us are just guessing, so making a claim that the side pod has a drag problem is groundless.

Holm86

Best look of the Ferrari PU so far.
https://twitter.com/gianluca_medeot/sta ... 7338624000