Mercedes GP W02

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marco Alves
Marco Alves

Re: Mercedes GP W02

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Yes, Sauber do it too. It's not really any different than the slots at the front of the sidepods McLaren and Ferrari use.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

siskue2005

TURU wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: care to explain?!
Care to explain why do You think it's perfect, other than because they are unable to bring anything else (and make it work) for the 3rd year in a row?

The fact that they keep switching between various iterations of the wing and yet always return to the old one indicates that they are trying to improve it, but are unable to do so. This only leaves two possible explanations. Either, as you say, their two-element front wing is infinitely perfect, or they are being clueless. That's anyone's guess :twisted:
Perfect for their car! #-o
do you think they can just stick RBR's fancy wing and go faster?
No, their whole car is made with the Fwing in mind, changing it will be bad for the rest of the car.....thats why u see them stick to their same Fwing
read scrabs explanation of their car.
BTW look at their end plate its has great details....and they have two elements in place of three, which is what they are trying to change to...but its not as easy as it seems. Again 3 vs 2 elemnts in a big topic for debate as to which gives the perfect balance for the car.
Ferraripilot wrote:The MB car to me is a completely different school of thought than anyone else on the field. Perhaps their two element wing fits into what they are doing perfectly which very possibly gives them the advantage for whatever methodology they are pioneering.

Haug was addressed regarding their front wing on W02 some time ago and IIRC was essentially asked why the wing was not substantially updated to which he replied there was no need.

The fancy Mark III wing they brought to Barcelona with the cascades and slot in the main plain was quickly disposed of. I wonder if the issue with that was because the front wing was generating too much downforce which unbalanced the back of the car. Thus could be the case now as well. Could this have to do with W02 having a much higher and thinner nose than the rest of the field which places more air in the path of the tea tray under the nose?

Also, the cover we are seeing I don't think is large enough to be covering the slots as the slots were much larger?
Last edited by siskue2005 on 09 Apr 2011, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.

siskue2005

Marco Alves wrote:Is this legal?

http://a.yfrog.com/img619/1126/ghlgl.jpg
The area few cms in front and behind the sidepod region doesnot have the minimum radius rule, that rule is viod in these regions otherwise the sidepod openings and the cockpit openings would be illegal!
thats why you see all sorts of pod wane, bargeboards, slit openings like Mclaren, gills etc etc
So in the same context Mercs have chimney in this very small area :)

shelly
shelly

[quote="atanatizante"]

I think it`s the smallest flap on the grid ...

[quote]

Maybe that's why they have some probems with stalling and inconsistent downforce from the rear wing
twitter: @armchair_aero

Macxtor
Macxtor

Just face it, Mercedes has been to conservative when developing the W02. They have to take a look at RBR like Renault and MCL did and start focusing on finding "legal" extraordinary solutions like flexi wing/nose/car, flexi suspension and exhast solutions. This is the only way thesedays to get an advantage. Remeber that these cars has 200 less horsepower than the cars back in 2000-2005 and have less "legal" downforce. The rearwing is smaller, the front wing is higher, etc.

I really hope they go back to Brackley and use the w02 new nose design and develop it to linearly decrease when the speed increases. They also have to take a look at the suspensionparts that is not near the RBR and MCL in selfadjusting and flexing.

The most important is that they dont forget the rear parts that aslo have to flex to make the car selfadjusting. This make it possible to control ridehight and to go with high rake. Maybe the short wheelbase will make this a little demanding :), Risk of heavy oversteer and lack of balance.

The last thing i can come up with is that they really has to redesign the exhaust solution with some aeroparts. The sideconcept is ok but i think most exhastgases should go away. Current solution looks way to conservative.

But i am amateur and leave the rest to the experts. I really hope Mercedes will get their things together at sepang.

Go Schumacher and Rosberg!

//Mac

3one
3one

With both Renaults beating the Mercs during qualifying, this doesn't look good for the team in Sepang...

Do you guys think its time for radical upgrades in the car?

Poleman

I really had high hopes for the silver boys. :| They seem to be at best at where they were last season. Shame...Its still early though i hope they can pull something out of the bag for the rest of the season.

marcush.
marcush.

post qualy both Schumacher and Rosberg complained about their DRS not working ,Schumachers not closing in his final Q2 attempt and Rosberg with no idea what was wrong with it ...
Schumacher said they could not afford to not use it as it was worth 1 second for him ...so he had to risk using it .How can it be they cannot master simple actuator ? dear me..the good ol mechanical days ..Ross must be hoping for them to return... :mrgreen:
The car looks unfinished and is unfinished .As Exp said it lacks passion .Mercedes GP acts like a big manufacturer:slow and not agile.F1 does not promote this approach . You need to be first ,leader,cutting edge in all aspects .

Macxtor
Macxtor

And it´s happening again. The drivers have to drive the car to the limit in all three qualis. Mercedes was faster in Q1 and Q2 than they were in Q3. All the top team did faster and faster times through Q2 and Q3.

There is no space for any traffic, technical or driver mistakes. Everything has to be 100% to get to Q3. They have to develop a flexi car and gain 1-2 sec and that´s fast!

Comparisation (Absolutely no space, better times in q2 than q3!!)
MSC Q1 (1,36,904) Q2 (1,37,035) Q3 (out).
ROS Q1 (1,37,316) Q2 (1,36,388) Q3 (1,36,809)

VET Q1 (1,37,468) Q2 (1,35,934) Q3 (1,34,870)

//Mac

Spartan202
Spartan202

I don't want to sound like a blind fool but could it be they were thinking ahead with a compromised wet/dry setup since rain looks to be a certain issue tomorrow? doesn't make sense to go slower in the later quali stages as they did...

mep

Macxtor wrote:Just face it, Mercedes has been to conservative when developing the W02. They have to take a look at RBR like Renault and MCL did and start focusing on finding "legal" extraordinary solutions like flexi wing/nose/car, flexi suspension and exhast solutions....

I really hope they go back to Brackley and use the w02 new nose design and develop it to linearly decrease when the speed increases. They also have to take a look at the suspensionparts that is not near the RBR and MCL in selfadjusting and flexing.

The most important is that they dont forget the rear parts that aslo have to flex to make the car selfadjusting. This make it possible to control ridehight and to go with high rake. Maybe the short wheelbase will make this a little demanding :), Risk of heavy oversteer and lack of balance.

//Mac
Flexi and selfadjusting suspension?
What are you talking about?

marcush. wrote:post qualy both Schumacher and Rosberg complained about their DRS not working ,Schumachers not closing in his final Q2 attempt and Rosberg with no idea what was wrong with it ...
Schumacher said they could not afford to not use it as it was worth 1 second for him ...so he had to risk using it .How can it be they cannot master simple actuator ? dear me..the good ol mechanical days ..
It's simple to explain what happened to Rosberg. He didn't had a new set of soft tires so he could not go faster. At least RedBull and possible McLaren still had a new one. However even if Rosberg had done the same lap as in Q2 he would still end up on same position.

I don't know if it's true that Michael's rear wing got stuck in upper position but anyway I can't accept excuses like that. The DRS has to work, always.
It's a simple mechanical device. You can find hundreds of similar actuators in almost every machine. If these engineers fail to get it working they should get slapped.

Lindz

Everyone relax, it's only Malaysia. We have to wait until Monza until we see the true pace of the W02, then you can start saying it's a mistake.

Right, JET, et al?

Poleman

Lindz wrote:Everyone relax, it's only Malaysia. We have to wait until Monza until we see the true pace of the W02, then you can start saying it's a mistake.

Right, JET, et al?
That might be as well true only if we take for granted that the rest of the field will remain static. :D

N12ck

why do i see a snorkel on the car?? what is that for?
Budding F1 Engineer