2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 19:37
According to formu1auno Lawson was the first choice but RB didn't want to let Lawson go (they wanted to reserve right for Lawson to return to the team at any point) so makes sense Williams to pivot to someone else. Apparently Schumacher, while offered by Toto, was never a real consideration for Vowles

https://formu1a.uno/it/williams-tra-law ... -i-perche/
Would have been surprised if they went with Schumacher, considering the amount of money he cost Haas with all the crashing he did and it being one of the reasons he was let go

Holm86

Luscion wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 20:08
organic wrote:
According to formu1auno Lawson was the first choice but RB didn't want to let Lawson go (they wanted to reserve right for Lawson to return to the team at any point) so makes sense Williams to pivot to someone else. Apparently Schumacher, while offered by Toto, was never a real consideration for Vowles

Would have been surprised if they went with Schumacher, considering the amount of money he cost Haas with all the crashing he did and it being one of the reasons he was let go
I'm surprised Mick is still around F1, it can only be because of name and the PR it gives.

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

Holm86 wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 21:47
Luscion wrote:
organic wrote:

I'm surprised Mick is still around F1, it can only be because of name and the PR it gives.
Yes, of course. The F3 and F2 titles were also gifted to him for having a particular surname. #-o

Zynerji

SchuMassa wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 00:36
Holm86 wrote:
Luscion wrote:

Yes, of course. The F3 and F2 titles were also gifted to him for having a particular surname. #-o
Good people shine under good leaders, and tarnish under ones like Steiner.

Jurgen von Diaz

Zynerji wrote:
SchuMassa wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Good people shine under good leaders, and tarnish under ones like Steiner.
Yeah, like Hülkenberg last season, thanks to Steiner who hired him for Mick's seat. It's silly that people are blaming Steiner for Mick's unemployment. Mick himself tried to leave Haas in the middle of the season, but when he was finally sacked; oh no, Steiner is so cruel. Steiner is nothing compared to Helmut Marko. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

James Vowles has been so nice to Sargeant, even though he drove worse than Latifi and crashed here and there and even gave him a new contract, and look what happened to him.

Mr Brooksy

I kind of wonder who was better... Latifi or Sargeant. I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Just curious.

I read somewhere that Alonso was supposed to have been behind Colapinto moving to Europe and racing in F2... Anyone confirm that story?
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Mr Brooksy

Ahh, found the answer to my own question...

https://www.racefans.net/2023/01/10/why ... colapinto/
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

Jurgen von Diaz

Mr Brooksy wrote:I kind of wonder who was better... Latifi or Sargeant. I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Just curious.

I read somewhere that Alonso was supposed to have been behind Colapinto moving to Europe and racing in F2... Anyone confirm that story?
I have to say Latifi was a little bit more consistent. He had a worse car but still managed to score points by driving, and he didn't cause nearly as much wreckage as Sargeant.

Zynerji

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 08:36
Mr Brooksy wrote:I kind of wonder who was better... Latifi or Sargeant. I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Just curious.

I have to say Latifi was a little bit more consistent. He had a worse car but still managed to score points by driving, and he didn't cause nearly as much wreckage as Sargeant.
Petrov was better than both. :o

Holm86

SchuMassa wrote:
Holm86 wrote:
Luscion wrote:

His F2 title wasn't gifted no, but it wasn't any sort of impressive, he only scored 2 wins, and not a single pole position, won with a tiny margin.
And winning F2 doesn't mean you're automatically a great F1 driver, De Vries didn't have a great f1 career either, but nobody is constantly lobbying for him to return, because he does not have the name ...
Im sure Mick could have a decent racing career in some other category, but not in F1

mvfad

A curiosity for all of you: "Colapinto" in Portuguese literally means "glue chick" or "glue d*ck" (cola = glue, pinto = chick or d*ck [informally/slang] ). And since Brazil and Argentina have a great rivalry, I strongly believe that Franco will "suffer" a lot at the hands of the Brazilians lol.

So if you see him being called "glue d*ck" on social media, you already know why.

continuum16

I don't expect anything extraordinary from Colapinto, but at least Williams is establishing a reputation of actually promoting its junior drivers to its race team. Before 2025, when suddenly Alpine, Mercedes, and maybe Red Bull will all promote juniors (plus Ferrari/Haas w/ Bearman), Sargeant was the only driver promoted to the "main" team from a team's academy since Tsunoda in 2021 (if you count Red Bull/VCARB as one). All others (Zhou, Piastri, de Vries, etc.) have all had to leave their feeder ladder to actually get seats, and many others have had to leave the F1 system altogether (Pourchaire, Ilott, etc.). I suppose this makes Williams a more attractive option long-term to younger drivers if there is an actual history of promotion. Good for the brand if they do get back to the front.

Of all the Williams academy drivers I think Browning has the highest ceiling but is in year 1 of F3 so it would be a lot to ask. Colapinto is highest in the F2 standings of all the Williams drivers so there is at least some logic behind the decision, even if F2 this year is more random than ever.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Jurgen von Diaz

It sounds like Colapinto came with bags of money. Williams has nothing to lose with this deal. They just want their car to remain in one piece for the rest of the season and get some sponsorship money on the side. Colapinto can't be as bad as Sargeant, can he?

Rikhart
Rikhart

https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/08/30 ... s-f1-team/

Ouch, this has to sting. I don't understand why Vowles would say this, there is nothing to gain from it.

Jurgen von Diaz

Rikhart wrote:https://www.grandprix247.com/2024/08/30 ... s-f1-team/

Ouch, this has to sting. I don't understand why Vowles would say this, there is nothing to gain from it.
Maybe Vowles is tired of answering questions about Mick and him being behind his office every now and then with his simulator data. Toto hurt his feelings when James called Mick "not special," but somebody should ask Toto why he himself won't put this special Mick in his own Mercedes car? That's right because Mick is just Toto's merchandise.

Vowles, on the other hand, praises Williams's academy. He is doing the same for Colapinto as he did for Sargeant; "so much potential", but let's not talk about the millions coming into the team and the new South American sponsor.

Both team principals are talking so much bullshit that their mouths are starting to spew brown.