COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

raymondu999

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

Seeing F1 cars battling would be an awesome sight, after 2010. In 2010 I think we haven't quite seen battles, just overtakes. By battles, I want to see cars just so close to each other, with no one having the clear advantage, then passing and repassing each other at every corner.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Ray

It looks good, but the --- camera angle the FOM use will ruin every single bit of the elevation change. That's not going to change, to the climb into turn 1 won't matter, you'll never get that sensation of climbing and going down into turn 2 will be completely lost. Until the FOM and their production crews pull their heads out of their asses we won't have even a half decent idea what it actually feels like to drive. That and no HD picture means coverage will be like normal, low angles of the cars coming directly at you with sponsor banners filling 2/3s of the screen. Complete --- in other words.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

I'm glad that this circuit has gotten a good reception by most people on here, as I thought it would have been booed and seen as a complete failure. Hopefully the end result is just as good and it provides some decent races. Might this circuit be host to my first F1 race?

raymondu999 wrote:Seeing F1 cars battling would be an awesome sight, after 2010. In 2010 I think we haven't quite seen battles, just overtakes. By battles, I want to see cars just so close to each other, with no one having the clear advantage, then passing and repassing each other at every corner.
You're describing MotoGP. F1 should and hopefully never will be like that. Our overtakings are like football goals, rare and special, while theirs are like basketball points, common and ordinary. IMO.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Gatecrasher wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote: Other than turn 15 the circuit looks good and fast (too bad there is no banked corner).
Why would you want the corners banked ? yes fun to drive but not really the biggest challenge.

Give us off chamber, blind, top of a rise, downhill, decreasing radius or just corners with multiple options and a mix of all of the above. Test the drivers and the engineers to bring the best out in a race rather than a procession.
I am not talking 4 left hand banked turns, but one high banked medium speed corner within rules of FIA that would allow the drivers a option with 2 distinct lines.

>> It offers drivers a passing opportunity
>> Keeps a celebrated tradition of US motorsport (which is very important)
Sorry but F1 is NOT NASCAR. When F1 was at Indy I don't remember too many passing manouvers on the banked sections, mainly at the end of the straights.

An F1 car is not an aerodynamic brick which banked tracks suit and just because it may be a tradition in other forms of US motorsport does not mean it has to be copied in F1.

How many people here would prefer the new track to be a 2 mile oval ? would you watch it ?

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

mx_tifosi wrote: You're describing MotoGP. F1 should and hopefully never will be like that. Our overtakings are like football goals, rare and special, while theirs are like basketball points, common and ordinary. IMO.
Whats wrong with MotoGP, they may have more passing however I would never call any of the passing ordinary. Watch a couple of Moto2 races which has more passing and then tell me that you still don't think passing is exciting.

I take it you also like cricket... only joking :)

FW17

Gatecrasher wrote:

Sorry but F1 is NOT NASCAR. When F1 was at Indy I don't remember too many passing manouvers on the banked sections, mainly at the end of the straights.

An F1 car is not an aerodynamic brick which banked tracks suit and just because it may be a tradition in other forms of US motorsport does not mean it has to be copied in F1.

How many people here would prefer the new track to be a 2 mile oval ? would you watch it ?

One banked corner will not make F1 to NASCAR :lol: :lol: :lol:

Indy turn 1 was turn 13 in F1 which made it just a bend on the begining of the straight rather than a proper corner. But it provided for drivers to have a proper run into the straight which saw more overtaking moves.

strad

Monza??? Avus?? F1 has had and could have again banked high speed curve. ;)
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

WhiteBlue

strad wrote:Monza??? Avus?? F1 has had and could have again banked high speed curve. ;)
I just repeat myself. Banking beyond 10% or 5.71° is outlawed by the FiA for all tracks but speedways. So banking of 30°-43° like Monza and AVUS are totally out of question. I would also support Gatecrasher's view that banking does nothing for F1.
Gatecrasher wrote:Sorry but F1 is NOT NASCAR. When F1 was at Indy I don't remember too many passing manouvers on the banked sections, mainly at the end of the straights.
All the passing at Indianapolis was done into turn 1 which was the traditional sharp corner after a long straight.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

WhiteBlue wrote:
strad wrote:Monza??? Avus?? F1 has had and could have again banked high speed curve. ;)
I just repeat myself. Banking beyond 10% or 5.71° is outlawed by the FiA for all tracks but speedways. So banking of 30°-43° like Monza and AVUS are totally out of question. I would also support Gatecrasher's view that banking does nothing for F1.

Still fun to post corners that we wish for.

Does that 10% banking hold even for entry speeds less than 200 kmph?
Strad you should check this 100% banking for size at the DaimlerBenz Test Track

WhiteBlue

WilliamsF1 wrote:Does that 10% banking hold even for entry speeds less than 200 kmph?
FiA Regulation wrote:Transversal inclination, drainage
Along straights, the transversal incline, for drainage purposes, between the two edges of the track or between the centre-line and the edge (camber), should not exceed 3%, or be less than 1,5 %.
In curves, the banking (downwards from the outside to the inside of the track) should not exceed 10 % (with possible exceptions in special cases, such as speedways). An adverse incline is not generally acceptable unless dictated by special circumstances, in which case the entry speed should not exceed 125 kph.
The way I read this the 10% are the upper limit regardless of speed. There is only a speed limit which applies to off camber corners and that is 125 km/h entry speed.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

timbo
timbo

WhiteBlue wrote:The way I read this the 10% are the upper limit regardless of speed.
But it says that there might be special cases.
However, I'm against steep banking. When car misses the corner in normal turn it would most of the time go to the outside, away from trajectory, while on steep banking it may fall back to the inside.

Richard
Richard

mx_tifosi wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Seeing F1 cars battling would be an awesome sight, after 2010. In 2010 I think we haven't quite seen battles, just overtakes. By battles, I want to see cars just so close to each other, with no one having the clear advantage, then passing and repassing each other at every corner.
You're describing MotoGP. F1 should and hopefully never will be like that. Our overtakings are like football goals, rare and special, while theirs are like basketball points, common and ordinary. IMO.

raymond - Do you think 2010 is a bad year? This has been one of the closet seasons for a long time, you are never quite sure who is going to win. For me, it has been a great year.

mx - spot on! =D> =D>

timbo
timbo

richard_leeds wrote:raymond - Do you think 2010 is a bad year? This has been one of the closet seasons for a long time, you are never quite sure who is going to win. For me, it has been a great year.

mx - spot on! =D> =D>
Seconded! Great season so far.

WhiteBlue

Back on topic!

We can probably recognize a majority of people who see a positive bottom line in the proposed Austin circuit and venue. There are also those who disagree with the FOM policy of having slow corners to please the sponsors and those who feel that American racing needs banked corners.

I disagree with both schools of skepticism. The cars that work well on banked Speedways are different to the F1 cars and without those characteristics the multi line effect of banked corners is wasted and simply creates more dangers compared to flat corners with run offs.

Pleasing the sponsors is a necessity for both FOM and FOTA. This is why realistically slow corners will not go away from F1.

FW17

Totally agree with the overtaking being an equivalent to a football goal but I also say that f1 needs variety. Something different to the 400 other corners in the calendar. An opportunity to be side by side in multiple corners is what I advocate.

WB I do not agree that a high speed banked corner is the only way for side by side racing low speed high banked corners as seen in half mile ovals will suit f1 without any additional risk. That stadium section can be done away and replaced with right and then left banked turn.