Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pipex
pipex

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

I remember last year they said something like "this car was created to be easy to develop"... and where are those parts? they have a good aero staff, how can it be that they cannot extract more performance from the package?.
Apart from the slow aero development, the mechanical side of the team needs to be reinforced. Maybe the people in charge of this are the same of the old Honda team... I remember that at least the head of vehicle concept is the same (the person in charge of the general weight distribution and car layout), although i don't want to make him the complete responsible of this problem.
"We will have to wait and see".

ringo

I think they very well know what the problem is. It's not like Mclaren last year, who did not figure out until the end why the car was so slow.
Brawn knows the problem, but he knows it cannot be fixed.

Mclaren had a dog last year, this year Mercedes has a pig. You can put lip tstick on a pig and it's still a pig.
Brawn could have the best makeup artistes in the world, and the W01 will never be a race winner; just a little pig of a car.

The best they can do is try and finish 4rth in the championship, and then focus on their street circuit strength. Maybe a lucky win could be salvaged there.
For Sure!!

bugref
bugref

I believe its the end of W01, improving it seems a pointless move. might as well save their resources and move on to a new design for their 2011 car.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

By designing a car with a basic weight distribution flaw, and no working F-duct, and for it to still be 0.5 to 0.8 seconds off the leaders is no pig .
People can deride as much as they want, it changes nothing.

As soon as Mercedes and Schumacher get it right, people will very quickly forget about the happenings of 2010. No one expects Schumacher to win now, and with every passing race it all becomes an excercise in executing the best with what you have got. And right now the RB6, MP4/25 and F10 are faster and look like being faster for the rest of the year.

Its hardly a tragedy, just a rebuilding year. Wait for 2011 for the true acid test of this project. 1 mistake is acceptable but another mistake like this year and Stuttgart will dump F1 and do sportscars instead.
More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

And nobody can start concentrating on next year because the rules and tyre dimensions have not been decided yet.
Imagine Mercedes started building a concept around percieved rules and they failed to materialise. This would be a total waste, hence why Brawn waits for the the rules to be set in stone before commencing development.
Just the other day there where discussions and an adjustable rear wing to allow overtaking.
David Purley

djones
djones

That said though JET, I'm sure there will be fundamental things they can work on.

Things like braking solutions, exhaust solutions etc etc

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Sure, basics....but clever ideas only occur when you have a full grasp of the rules.
David Purley

mep

Something goes seriously wrong in Brawn/Mercedes Team. When we are honestly they made a super start during last years session but during mid season it became obvious that they have serious problems with their tires. Redbull had the quicker car last year but lacked reliability. The problem is that even until now Brawn/Mercedes have not solved their tire problem but got caught up by McLaren and Ferrari. It doesn't make much sense to hope for next years car when they can't solve this problem now. If they don't understand the tires they have no basis to build up a car.

As for Mercedes they always bet on the wrong card.
Last year they supported Brawn with engines but missed to put their star on the cars. They stuck to McLaren meanwhile Brawn won one race after the other.
This year they bought whole Brawn Team and started to disunite from McLaren.
Now McLaren starts to win races and fight for championship while Brawn has a embarrassing performance.

manchild
manchild

They had good car, car that just needed regular updates, but than vanity of Mr. Perfect became priority, so they've changed car to suit him, and ruined what they've had. MSC isn't better driver than Nico. Period. At this age, at current driver constellation, there is at least a dozen drivers in F1 that can deliver same or even better results than his greatness. As soon as Mercedes realizes that, the better for the team.

MichaelW
MichaelW

manchild wrote:They had good car, car that just needed regular updates, but than vanity of Mr. Perfect became priority, so they've changed car to suit him, and ruined what they've had. MSC isn't better driver than Nico. Period. At this age, at current driver constellation, there is at least a dozen drivers in F1 that can deliver same or even better results than his greatness. As soon as Mercedes realizes that, the better for the team.
BS. We seen in all those years that BAR/Honda/Brawn can´t properly develop their cars during the season. They have more or less the same people working for them as in recent years so it´s no surprise that nothing changed.

ggajic
ggajic

Canada is more about aerodynamics. And lack of straight line speed proved again that problem with car is aerodynamics.

siskue2005

manchild wrote:They had good car, car that just needed regular updates, but than vanity of Mr. Perfect became priority, so they've changed car to suit him, and ruined what they've had. MSC isn't better driver than Nico. Period. At this age, at current driver constellation, there is at least a dozen drivers in F1 that can deliver same or even better results than his greatness. As soon as Mercedes realizes that, the better for the team.
Last edited by Steven on 14 Jun 2010, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Totally inappropriate

Morteza

If the problem is about aerodynamics, we should refer to Loïc Bigois, right? If I remember correctly he was working at Williams then came to Honda Racing team. And he was also the designer at Prost F1 and designed AP01. So he was never a successful designer, right? :?: If the design has flaws, to whom should we refer?
Last edited by Morteza on 14 Jun 2010, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

JohnsonsEvilTwin

mep wrote: As for Mercedes they always bet on the wrong card.
Really? :lol:
Fact is Mercedes influence does not happen instantly, things take time to happen. Their has been alot of changes at Brackley and Mercedes own technical staff are indeed helping out with the bare bones F1 staff of Mercedes GP themselves.

So while you can sit and snipe, to actually know that this is a team going through more than just a name change would help your point of view.
Losing 200 staff last year does have a negative effect, but they are dealing with it.

Ask McLaren or Red Bull or even Ferrari to go through this much upheaval and I bet they wouldnt come out any better.

Last count I hear even more staff are leaving Mercedes GP, not top brass, but "worker ants". This means they will be within Resource Restriction criteria, the only one of the top teams to be able to say so. Red Bull (600) McLaren (590) And Ferrari (800) all need to slash their numbers to get to the 400 limit set by the FIA. Do you honestly think Mercedes backed the wrong horse when they can still be the number 4 team with this handicap?
I certainly dont....
David Purley

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
mep wrote: As for Mercedes they always bet on the wrong card.
Really? :lol:
Fact is Mercedes influence does not happen instantly, things take time to happen. Their has been alot of changes at Brackley and Mercedes own technical staff are indeed helping out with the bare bones F1 staff of Mercedes GP themselves.

So while you can sit and snipe, to actually know that this is a team going through more than just a name change would help your point of view.
Losing 200 staff last year does have a negative effect, but they are dealing with it.

Ask McLaren or Red Bull or even Ferrari to go through this much upheaval and I bet they wouldnt come out any better.

Last count I hear even more staff are leaving Mercedes GP, not top brass, but "worker ants". This means they will be within Resource Restriction criteria, the only one of the top teams to be able to say so. Red Bull (600) McLaren (590) And Ferrari (800) all need to slash their numbers to get to the 400 limit set by the FIA. Do you honestly think Mercedes backed the wrong horse when they can still be the number 4 team with this handicap?
I certainly dont....
I'm not sure where you get your numbers from, but Red Bull 600?? And then you say Ferrari have 800? Again I don't know where numbers come from, but I presume that this includes all those who work in engine manufacture etc, something which other teams do not have. Does Merc number include all those at MPE, and those in Germany?