Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bobohob
bobohob

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

crucial, Malaysia is not in Singapore!!!! :P

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

bobohob wrote:crucial, Malaysia is not in Singapore!!!! :P
Yeah sorry I didn't mean to type Singapore. Although Singapore air density is higher in Singapore than Malaysia if I'm not mistaken. :)

munudeges
munudeges

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:I understand this is dependent on many factors & it may be a long shot, but the gasses have much farther to travel to their intended destination than last year.
My gut feeling is that you're probably not that far off. The exhaust gas is a great deal more difficult to control than last year and I wondered when I saw how far Red Bull's exhausts were front the back of the car, not completely unlike the problems Lotus probably faced with their front exhausts. RB are struggling for any kind of consistency.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Or, they could just be behind with their general aero design. Last years aero design, less the exhaust layout could have been weak and the good a great exhaust layout hid the issue.

Brian

PhillipM
PhillipM

To be honest, everything points more towards trouble working the tyres in the damp rather than aero imo.

Lycoming
Lycoming

I would tend to agree, though I still think their main problem that weekend was strategy.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

does anyone think we are likely to see any significant development for the next race seeing there is a 3 week gap between GP's?

snorri788
snorri788

morefirejules08 wrote:does anyone think we are likely to see any significant development for the next race seeing there is a 3 week gap between GP's?
nothing significant. teams will make a few changes and bring minor upgrades but i would expect that the big upgrades will be tested in Mugello.

raymondu999

Counting on manufacturing lead times; and travel/shipping times - I'd doubt massive upgrades. Most probably singular parts such as a new nose or new vanes (for example) will be there though.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

raymondu999 wrote:Counting on manufacturing lead times; and travel/shipping times
This assumes changes based on the first two races. What If they have something that they were working on before those races? You give it a shot on Friday.

Brian

gray41

Maybe DRS "Duct wing stalling devise" for McLaren been very quiet plus at the launch there was talk of a big upgrade for China.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

im kind of hoping McLaren dont bother with the DRS duct as i think it is the root of Mercedes poor race performance!

N12ck

morefirejules08 wrote:im kind of hoping McLaren dont bother with the DRS duct as i think it is the root of Mercedes poor race performance!
Mercedes without a doubt have a brilliant qualifying car, I believe the DRS duct is a great qualifying and overtaking device, however mercedes cannot use this in the race, so it gives nothing to race pace advantage, however I dont see any harm in mclaren adopting this as it will only help Quali pace which isnt a bad thing, It isnt the root of mercedes poor performance, the root of mercedes poor peformance IMO is it eats its tyres, but that is another car, but I dont see any harm in Mclaren adopting this system
Budding F1 Engineer

siskue2005

morefirejules08 wrote:im kind of hoping McLaren dont bother with the DRS duct as i think it is the root of Mercedes poor race performance!
care to explain ?

Holm86

Because of parc ferme rules it would be illegal to make any changes to the car between quali and race right??

So you couldnt use the DRS with front wing stalling during quali and then block the tunnel that leads to the front wing before race??

What if you made a mechanism that that only unblocked the front wing tunnel when the fuel levels are low? It could relativly easy be done.

Then the front wing DRS would only work during quali where fuel levels are low and in the last few laps of the race. Wouldnt that be a benefit?? I have been thinking that the front wing stalling mechanism makes the car to instabile when the car is full of fuel??

Whats your thoughts on this idea?