Ferrari F138

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
f1316
f1316

Re: Ferrari F138

Looks like they're pretty confident about the new pillars, since I don't see any of the old ones knocking about and they're fitted to both cars.

Looks to me like the "bridge" is slightly amended - a different angle - so will be interesting to see the effects (if we have enough dry running - it'll be twice it's been blighted by that if not) as it's still only on Massa's car.

Is it the same exhaust on both cars? I've been unable to tell from the photos [and thanks to those who pointed out the difference between the old and new].

dannak
dannak

stefan_ wrote:
wesley123 wrote:cant wait for some higher detail pics on the new front wing
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMG-WpgCYAAORMg.jpg:large
via Tobias Grüner
Hi there,

I'm bit new to this forum. Anyway, to me the new pillars seem to not only have different leading edge but also the trailing edge.
From detailed look at the new wings left pillar, the right one on the photograph, compared to the right pillar of the older wing here
http://img4.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Fer ... 690896.jpg
I'd say the new wings trailing edge is sculpted where the older wings edge was just straight. Or is it just light conditions when the photos were taken ?

stefan_
stefan_

Canada 2013 - Friday (07.06.2013)

Backside of the new FW

Better view of the new, "pelican nose"
via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Forza

Canadian GP - Friday FP - 7/6/13
Last edited by Forza on 07 Jun 2013, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

Massa using newer nose with older FW and old style venturi style black pylons

Alonso using newer nose as well with new FW and new black pylons that are rounded on trailing edge

f1316
f1316

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Massa using newer nose with older FW and old style venturi style black pylons

Alonso using newer nose as well with new FW and new black pylons that are rounded on trailing edge
And Massa one again has the Barca exhaust that is much closer to the rear tyres and packaged with the sidepod "bridge".

Shame we (and presumably they) won't be able to get much useful data from that session.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

f1316 wrote:
And Massa one again has the Barca exhaust that is much closer to the rear tyres and packaged with the sidepod "bridge".

Shame we (and presumably they) won't be able to get much useful data from that session.
Yeah if you put the first two pics above side by side you can definitely see the extended exhaust ramp. Question is can they get enough data to see if it works better.

Still spotting for more updates. :))

f1316
f1316

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:
f1316 wrote:

Yeah if you put the first two pics above side by side you can definitely see the extended exhaust ramp. Question is can they get enough data to see if it works better.

Still spotting for more updates. :))
Not a great res, but looks like a big sensor in front of the tyre on Massa's car; you would think, regardless of conditions, they should at least get some idea of the exhaust flow.

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

f1316 wrote:
Not a great res, but looks like a big sensor in front of the tyre on Massa's car; you would think, regardless of conditions, they should at least get some idea of the exhaust flow.
Yeah they definitely ran exhaust rake in FP1 with Felipe. Yes I think for sure they can get good map of the flow. Sky tried to make it sound like they were using the rake because they were "unsure" if the exhaust was doing what they wanted, but failed to mention the new exhaust.
I'm curious to see if they test more in FP2 or decide what to do off of FP1 data.

amouzouris

couple of things..the new nose is a bit longer and a bit (i think) higher than the older nose. The new cascades are going to produce a stronger vortex which is going to take away some of the downforce that the fw produces. Thus massa was testing the front wing with the upper element that is taller along the inner edge than the one alonso is using, and alonso is using the new 'pelican nose' which again does produce some downforce to balance the slight downforce loss from the front wing.
The stronger vortex produced from the new cascades is for better flow management around the front wheels

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Forza

Canadian GP - Friday FP - 7/6/13

Last edited by Forza on 07 Jun 2013, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

turbof1

Almost 2 different cars :wtf: .

The curved cascade looks like a very strong vortex generator.
amouzouris wrote:couple of things..the new nose is a bit longer and a bit (i think) higher than the older nose. The new cascades are going to produce a stronger vortex which is going to take away some of the downforce that the fw produces. Thus massa was testing the front wing with the upper element that is taller along the inner edge than the one alonso is using, and alonso is using the new 'pelican nose' which again does produce some downforce to balance the slight downforce loss from the front wing.
The stronger vortex produced from the new cascades is for better flow management around the front wheels
I think nose length and height remain the same, just a little optical illusion playing your eyes.

The curved cascade looks very interesting. They are trying there to creating one massive vortex. Why not just cut in the main flap or reduce flap angle? Maybe something more is going on; one far guessed explanation could be that the cascade needs to be fed enough air before being able to create the intended vortex, suggesting it works not or way less at the slow corners, producing the necessary DF there while shedding it more at the straights. It's just guessing on my part, but I feel there is a reason why they went for a complicated drag-reducing solution.
Last edited by turbof1 on 07 Jun 2013, 19:55, edited 2 times in total.
#AeroFrodo

stefan_
stefan_

Canada 2013 - Friday (07.06.2013)

Last edited by stefan_ on 07 Jun 2013, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

amouzouris

FP2: Finally the new exhaust and flow conditioners on Alonso's car as well