2014-2020 Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
bhall
bhall

Re: Formula One 1.6l V6 turbo engine formula

garrett wrote:[...]
Joe Saward recently explicitly said the new engines will not be postponed. I think he should know.
[...]
Joe Saward is very naive.

xpensive
xpensive

garrett wrote: ...
The rules concerning ERS and MGUH are very precisely to prevent any "arms race".
Joe Saward recently explicitly said the new engines will not be postponed. I think he should know.
Kindly elaborate on the first, how is this so precise?

As for the second, why should Joe Sewer know anything?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

aero expert 807
aero expert 807

Pierce89 wrote:
aero expert 807 wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:What do you think teams could do with an otherwise unrestricted 0.5L engine?
They would have 2 choices:
A:] stick a HUGE turbo on it
which would mean huge lag
or
B:]revv the heck out of it
Which would be hard to make it reliable
overall a pretty hefty engineering challenge
with no restrictions, they'd probably go for super high revs AND a big honkin' turbo
And engine debris all over the track!

strad

bhallg2k wrote:What do you think teams could do with an otherwise unrestricted 0.5L engine?
½ liter??
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

cossie
cossie

Stick the old CART and Champcar 2.65 bhp engines that were 1000 bhp or the 850 bhp , sweatest engine sounds there were

bhall
bhall

strad wrote:
½ liter??
Yeah. My thought was that an engine with such a low displacement could probably be developed for a while before the FIA would inevitably deem it to be too powerful.

superdread
superdread

Maybe the 500cc engine would give way to some new technologies.

- something in the line of twin ignition, I'm thinking of 7 spark plugs (or spark plug like devices), to reduce combustion time
- dry sealing of pistons against cylinder wall (using ultra-hard ultra-smooth coatings)
- alternative cooling cycles (pressurized water, liquid gas, liquid salt or metal)
- two-phase cooling (using a compressor) could be used to precool the charge

But overall, I would say that 500cc piston engines seems a bit forced, the high speed of revolution needed for serious power (over 20k) makes a balanced cylinder configuration necessary, pointing directly at a boxer-2, that's not particularly cool. A Wankel engine (even a 300cc) would be a lot more fun (and technically challenging).

xpensive
xpensive

Naah, a 500 cc straight-four with twin balance-shafts, oval pistons, six-valve, twin-spark, compressor + turbo and 7 Bar boost.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

superdread
superdread

What about a system that has a chamber above the valves with two big extra valves, so this chamber can switch between intake and exhaust, but both can use all the valves into the cylinder?

Your approach is very reasonable, but by no means crazy enough to be great.
(Although oval pistons are an interesting point, with more surface, giving better cooling.)

strad

What was that small twin that Ferrai played with? Back in the 50s I believe by Columbo.
Anybody recall that?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

wunderkind
wunderkind

strad wrote:What was that small twin that Ferrai played with? Back in the 50s I believe by Columbo.
Anybody recall that?
Don't know........

But a 500cc V twin is very much like MotoGP isn't it?

marcush.
marcush.

strad wrote:What was that small twin that Ferrai played with? Back in the 50s I believe by Columbo.
Anybody recall that?
It was basically a 500mondial/750 Monza engine cut in half ,right? -I think it vibrated the dyno to pieces ,didn´t it?
That engine family had a monoblock construction so it was well suited to turbocharging...

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

didn't know about a small twin (there was a 2.5 litre 184 bhp 4 valve twin by Lampredi, I wonder what car was in mind ?)
(Lampredi's 4 cyl displaced Colombo's 12 cyl in F2 etc)

the Monza went to 860 (potential 1720 cc twin)
(didn't know it was monobloc though)

Pierce89

xpensive wrote:Naah, a 500 cc straight-four with twin balance-shafts, oval pistons, six-valve, twin-spark, compressor + turbo and 7 Bar boost.
oval pistons are sweet! Honda's old oval pistoned GP bike made one of the sweetest sounds ever heard.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

matt21

Was the 2.5l-twin not only a research engine?
I think they wanted to produce an engine for slower courses with higher torque at lower revs.

But I never heard of an smaller twin.