Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
aral
aral

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

Morteza AMG wrote:I wonder what that upgrade package will be :?: Hope that is sth worthy of praise! :D
Rumour has it that the upgrade will consist of larger rearview mirrors!

lotus7
lotus7

gilgen wrote:
Morteza AMG wrote:I wonder what that upgrade package will be :?: Hope that is sth worthy of praise! :D
Rumour has it that the upgrade will consist of larger rearview mirrors!
[-X but :lol:

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Posibilities for the new update:

* Floor & DDD
* Pull Rod Suspension
* All leading to an exaust driven DDD

Most likely its gonna be a new rear wing and small aero tweaks all round.

Cicatrix
Cicatrix

ESPImperium wrote:Posibilities for the new update:

* Floor & DDD
* Pull Rod Suspension

I don't think it will be a new DDD, as they just recently introduced a new one in Turkey.
Changing the rear end à la Red Bull with new exaust - I am pretty sure they have this in their pipeline as Brawn spoke about it in an recent interview - I just have the feeling it is a bit to early for such a big update.

I would like to see them finally introduce changes to their front and rear wing. They still drive the same frontwing as in Bahrain while even teams like Lotus have managed to bring significant updates to their frontwing in the meantime.

And the rearwing just looks too basic... I think besides working on the F-Duct to finally get it to work they can gain a lot by just optimizing the general wing shape.
I don't really understand why they negelected the development of their wings so far - As they obviously have too much drag wouldn't it be logical to work on these intensively?
Last edited by Cicatrix on 19 Jun 2010, 12:13, edited 3 times in total.

marcush.
marcush.

brawn is no sloush and when he mentioned a new gearbox quite a while ago (was it in AMS-Germany) it was in the context of weight distribution but maybe the real reason for them eyeing a new gerabox was the change from push to pullrod...
So my gut feeling is they introduce a new box with pullrod and a lowline exhaust as the next big step in preparation for 2011 already.

I got the impression that one of the big strength of Brawn is the front wing design.
It may not change a lot ,but we can see that ,apart from minor deviations all teams seem to converge towards this solution more and more.

What I spottted in the high speed footage of different cars is ,that red bulls front wing does move ALOT more than say Macs or Ferrari and Mercs does barely move a t all...does this hint at something possibly ?

raceman

#-o

Ross Brawn is still "insisting" that 2010 title is still within 'striking distance' for Mercedes - I don't know how!

It's right that it's not even mid season, but referring to the huge points deficit Merdeces and their two F1 drivers have, it seems unlikely that they will fill that gap and surpass the leaders even if the race calender is extended to beyond 18 races..... :mrgreen: Is he expecting the lead teams to stand still until Mercedes GP and their driver fill that points gap? :roll:

I wonder how he can still insist about reaching and achieving the 2010 F1 title!

aral
aral

marcush. wrote:brawn is no sloush and when he mentioned a new gearbox quite a while ago (was it in AMS-Germany) it was in the context of weight distribution but maybe the real reason for them eyeing a new gerabox was the change from push to pullrod...
So my gut feeling is they introduce a new box with pullrod and a lowline exhaust as the next big step in preparation for 2011 already.

I got the impression that one of the big strength of Brawn is the front wing design.
It may not change a lot ,but we can see that ,apart from minor deviations all teams seem to converge towards this solution more and more.

What I spottted in the high speed footage of different cars is ,that red bulls front wing does move ALOT more than say Macs or Ferrari and Mercs does barely move a t all...does this hint at something possibly ?
The gearbox is homologated, and cannot be changed!

marcush.
marcush.

gilgen wrote:
marcush. wrote:brawn is no sloush and when he mentioned a new gearbox quite a while ago (was it in AMS-Germany) it was in the context of weight distribution but maybe the real reason for them eyeing a new gerabox was the change from push to pullrod...

as far as I understand there is a cap on how many gearboxes you can use..and you have to use a box for 4 consecutive races .
Also you have to retain the homologated rear crash structure which maybe doubles up as the rear cover of the box...but I have not found anything in the tech rules saying you can´t redesign the gearbox itself.Has lotus not already changed from Xtrac to their own ?
One could argue that gerabox casing is a part of the tub as well (as it is effectively the rear part of the chassis-all suspension is bolted to the housing)
but as I understand this is not how the rules are interpreted..
rear cover

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

marcush. wrote:
gilgen wrote:

as far as I understand there is a cap on how many gearboxes you can use..and you have to use a box for 4 consecutive races .
Also you have to retain the homologated rear crash structure which maybe doubles up as the rear cover of the box...but I have not found anything in the tech rules saying you can´t redesign the gearbox itself.Has lotus not already changed from Xtrac to their own ?
One could argue that gerabox casing is a part of the tub as well (as it is effectively the rear part of the chassis-all suspension is bolted to the housing)
but as I understand this is not how the rules are interpreted..
rear cover
You have ir tight, Gearboxes are not a hologated part, its just the rear cover. I was under the illusion that there was no cap on gearboxes, however there is the 4 race rule on them.

Personally i think that gearboxes should be Homologated for 2 year spells for every team, and a engine style rule implemented on them, say 4 per driver would be ideal.

Gearboxes are expencive items, and teams take about 6 or more to each GP, one attached to each car, one new spare for each car and one "previously used" one per car.

If it was where each team only took 4 gearboxes, it would save on freight costs and it would also mean that gearboxes wouldnt need to be the "latest" spec ones as they would be all the same essencially. Altho i would allow teams to allocate two gearboxes for different ratios, one for Monxa, Montreal and Spa specs tracks and one for Monaco and Hungary specs.

marcush.
marcush.

I would indeed cap the use of gear ratios to 1 set of specication to be homologated and fixed for 2 years.
and two final drive options .basta.no step gear changes or what have you.
that would cut down a lot of expenes,no question .

twoshots
twoshots

Cicatrix wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:Posibilities for the new update:

* Floor & DDD
* Pull Rod Suspension

I don't think it will be a new DDD, as they just recently introduced a new one in Turkey.
Changing the rear end à la Red Bull with new exaust - I am pretty sure they have this in their pipeline as Brawn spoke about it in an recent interview - I just have the feeling it is a bit to early for such a big update.
I'm gonna bet a sizeable portion of my estate that the Valencia update Brawn is talking about _includes_ low exhausts a la Red Bull. (As an aside I reckon McLaren have this in the pipeline for Silverstone but Merc get it first...).

JohnsonsEvilTwin

To have the lower exiting exhaust you will need a different exhaust pipe arrangement.
How close will McLaren let Mercedes co-operate on this??
More could have been done.
David Purley

twoshots
twoshots

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:To have the lower exiting exhaust you will need a different exhaust pipe arrangement.
They won't. At all. The exhaust system will be designed separately for both teams based on the spec they require and the tuning Merc's engine guys can do based on that spec. But I'm sure, of course(?), it will be Merc's engine guys that do the redesign of the exhausts. (I take your 'Mercedes' to be Mercedes GP not Mercedes engines for this btw.)

JohnsonsEvilTwin

twoshots wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:To have the lower exiting exhaust you will need a different exhaust pipe arrangement.
They won't. At all. The exhaust system will be designed separately for both teams based on the spec they require and the tuning Merc's engine guys can do based on that spec. But I'm sure, of course(?), it will be Merc's engine guys that do the redesign of the exhausts. (I take your 'Mercedes' to be Mercedes GP not Mercedes engines for this btw.)
Mercedes are seperate only in name, HPE versus GP. They co operate far more closely than Mclaren or Fi.
My point is if McLaren go to Merc HPE with design specs, they do so in the knowledge Merc GP will be privy to this too.

Regardless of this The Mclaren and Mercedes cars do have drastically different rear end designs, so a lower exhaust exit will be different I suppose...
More could have been done.
David Purley

twoshots
twoshots

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:...snip...Mercedes are seperate only in name, HPE versus GP. ...snip..,
Not true, McLaren and Merc have a long history. GP and HPE are different sites, different personnel and should be view as such. Whilst I'm sure that management would love for there to be a great Merc works team the facts are that the flow of IP must be limited or the relations with McLaren and FIF1 would not exist.