McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Formula None
Formula None

Re: McLaren MP4-26 Mercedes

ringo wrote: 1 track thinking is not healthy.
ringo wrote:If the winning car has it, copy it with no second thoughts. Don't think about it just copy it, you wont regret it.
Scarbs gets it right more often than most of us here, including you ringo. You have no connection to the sport beyond the internet. People's interest in what he has to say doesn't equate to faith, and simply making counterpoints does not equate to critical thinking.

ringo

Until we see the "octopus" exhaust and where in the regulations it falls afoul, it's just a fairytale.

Whitmarsh spoke about reliability, he didn't mention breaching regulations, if i remember.

If there is a breach, i will wholeheartedly agree octopus and all. I just want to see where it is.

You guys should loosen up and stop with "OMG OMG celebrity insider!!!!" thing.
It's looking pathetic.
You got a doubt or need a clarification voice it, simple.
For Sure!!

Jimi_Hendrix_1967
Jimi_Hendrix_1967

ringo wrote:Until we see the "octopus" exhaust and where in the regulations it falls afoul, it's just a fairytale.

Whitmarsh spoke about reliability, he didn't mention breaching regulations, if i remember.

If there is a breach, i will wholeheartedly agree octopus and all. I just want to see where it is.

You guys should loosen up and stop with "OMG OMG celebrity insider!!!!" thing.
It's looking pathetic.
You got a doubt or need a clarification voice it, simple.
If I were you, id loosen up on anything Whitmarsh says, and start giving Scarbs some credit. His pre-test season summary was pretty much on the mark.

raymondu999

Not to mention Scarbs' renditions of what he thought most teams would converge on in terms of design, was practically identical to a launch-spec RB7
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

OO7
OO7

ringo wrote:floor is probably molded with chanels in it. I don't think it's blowing through the step plane; just pointing gas at strategic points.
I've just visited Scarbs' website and seen the update on EBDs. The new regulations, which basically mandate continuous body work out to 45cm either side of the cars centreline, prevent the exhaust exiting through the step, so I was wrong about that.
If the exhaust system was considered to be part of the engine and not the bodywork, it may have been possible, but because the exhaust has been defined as being part of the bodywork, irrespective of where this has been stated (under the 'engine' heading), this technique is not valid.

ringo

Well that's a guess as to what the octopus may look like, i didn't say it is fact.
I don't believe in the octopus exhaust, but if it exists it may or may not look like that.

In that drawing the exhaust is not attached to the floor, hence the distinction between yellow and grey. The floor cavity is simply aligned with the exhausts, and the cavity does not go breach the step plane. It only breaks the step plane in the outer 5cm.
Nothing in the regulations about that being wrong. And i don't care for it really, just saying it could be like this, or any thing that comes to the imagination that can pass the regs.

The focus should be on explaining what is in breach and why the other teams had a problem with it.

If anything it's down to # of openings, or poor reliability why Mclaren changed directions.

i posted this then removed it in the fee thread. At the time we weren't sure where the slit was, but it guess it can work in conjunction with the L side pods. Brawn may have been reffering to something like this.
Take with a pinch of salt. It's turned the wrong way and all. but just some forum fodder.
For Sure!!

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

The latest from Scarbs.

"I'm hearing mutterings in the Melbourne pitlane that McLarens exhaust has caught the attention of the FIA scrutineers. It seems to be the same question of what is exhaust, what is bodywork, as the materials allowed are different."

myoozikk
myoozikk

from Scarb's blog...

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/

Lurk

Is that me or McLaren have a lot of space to reduce their sidepods?

ianwit
ianwit

Read Scarbs blog you'll find out what fills that space.
Became a McLaren fan in the late 70's when I ended up laminating their Kevlar nosecones.

kalinka
kalinka

Lurk wrote:Is that me or McLaren have a lot of space to reduce their sidepods?
+1, and wow! I can't eve figure out a single exhaust piecea t all. Where are all those pipes that should be there. If they're not connected yet, then where the hell they should be connected :o :wtf:

EDIT : Read the blog about it, but still confused. Great packaging at least.
Last edited by kalinka on 23 Mar 2011, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

They may be able to reduce their sidepods but that doesn't help with the concept of their car. They're trying to guide clean air over the top of their sidepod down to the rear of the car rather than around the sides. - if they shrunk the width of the sidepods they'd disrupt flow through the 'U' shaped channel down to the diffuser.

Exhausts aren't attached yet that's why you can't see them.

thestig84
thestig84

Kalinka It should be apparent what is going on but I would advise you to read scarbs blog linked.

Great pic and thanks for analysis scarbs. I cant see that the starter motor hole is rounded though? It looks more rectangle to me?

Lurk

Kalinka, I know the exhausts are missing. But they don't take so much place.

Thanks bonjon1979, it is the kind of answer I was waiting.

kalinka
kalinka

bonjon1979 wrote:Exhausts aren't attached yet that's why you can't see them.
OK, I get that, but where are the attach points then ? I can imagine they're facing downwards on that grey area and we can't see them from that angle, but then why they have so much heat shielding so high up AND so low ? They can't have two exhaust exits on one side ( one low one high ) ?