USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

madtown77 wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:The fact that Bernie is involved in the Lopez talks stipulates that Campos and USF1 are being merged to shift one license to Stefan. That may well have been the plan since December.
It has been pretty clear that USF1 has no actual race team (or a complete car, less xpensive try to smite me), just a design center. So I suspect you are right and this was the plan.

That just leaves the money.

Who is putting up to pay the bills to Dallara and to keep the lights on at USF1 while they sort out their mess while helping Campos actually run in the races?

If it's Chad Hurley, I will be really suprised. Unless he got bit by the racing bug or suddenly sees huge potential.
I suspect that Hurley will be the main share holder of what campos used to be. USF1 obviously is a thorn in Bernies side. Their operation is meant to go under and sell the license to Stefan. The Campos team may be renamed Youtube or another brand connected to Hurley's business interest. At least that is what I perceive here.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

segedunum
segedunum

WhiteBlue wrote:Do I need to show you the quotes of Bernie telling the press that USF1 was in financial trouble? Link here I don't like the way you avoid a debate based on facts. My power of comprehension isn't a point of debate. We are talking of USF1 and the causes for their failure here.
BECAUSE USF1 WERE OBVIOUSLY IN TROUBLE WHEN HE MADE THOSE COMMENTS - which is why he made them! #-o

Christ. You are absolutely desperate to the point of tears here, for whatever reason, to make a link between Bernie's comments being the cause of USF1's decline when they were merely a statement of fact. I rather suspect you'll go to your grave trying to make that connection. USF1 simply didn't have the expertise and weren't good enough. The decline from there was obvious.

godlameroso

FWIW The merger of Campos and USF1 while giving a slot to Stefan GP would probably be the best solution to the problem, I was speculating this in the privacy of my mind.
Saishū kōnā

marcush.
marcush.

richard_leeds wrote:
marcush. wrote:http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/08/20/u ... son-26250/

http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-yo ... ial-media/

all PR blabla made up ? but not by Windsor on these two ,but by himself...

for me he is to blame.end of story he promised and did not deliver.
There are more words about social media than money in those Hurley quotes. Says it all.

To answer you directly, that sort of quote is placed by the PR people who wrote the press release. If he'd said that in an interview then I'd give it more credance. The only direct quote we've heard from Hurley has been the one about start up funding and see what the guys do from there. He appears to be a silent partner.

edit to quote for the record:
Chad Hurley wrote:# @JordanMCallaway Yup, gave them some initial capital to get things started. We'll see what they can do! 3:26 AM Jan 27th from web in reply to JordanMCallaway
sorry ,but these are his words as you can see from the fact that these are quotes.
Also might be they are ripped out of context but i can´t believe anyone would flirt with disater and write something not true abou a billionaire..
Also why should USF1 be allowed to present him as the finance head of the operation? didn´t he ever even look up the Website of his money sink ???

all this seems to me like a story I have experienced myself more than once in motorsports:
A guy with a big wallet comes up and says :oh cool I like what you are going to do I will provide the necessary funds.I´m sure anyone who did racing in his life had these sort of encounters.
My last rich guy had enough money to buy two complete new racecars (not to mention the other two he already had bought the year before),but
he was not prepared to fork out the 600€ to get all dampers we had to get tested on a roehrig damper dyno...or paying for me to come to the track but flying in with the private Jet .... :shock: ,not to mention he seemed to have a new Supercar every week..

segedunum
segedunum

WhiteBlue wrote:I have checked it and signature was 31. July. That gave them August, September, October, November and half of December to do their work. In my book that is four and a half months.
They still had over a year to scout for credible finance and get a credible operation up and running, and plan and cost ahead - as explained over and over again. No, you can't just type one up when you sign the Concorde agreement. That's not dependant on getting a 2010 entry. That's called getting a business plan in place. That's the hit you take for actually being a prepared and professional outfit. :wink: Lotus managed it. Virgin managed it. They had even tighter dealines in place in many ways. Lotus already had a factory and backing in place when they really got rolling for 2010. Virgin had Manor.

You can't simply rely on scamming people with a 2010 F1 entry, which is all USF1 have done. You have to be a credible organisation overall without it. You can't build a factory and build a car all from scratch in a few months - even with really accurate and professional planning. Everybody here said that was insane and wasn't going to happen. Even if you had the experienced people there was far too much work there. Whatever way you cut this, it's still incompetence.

The point is?
By mid December they were already under attack.
:roll:
segedunum wrote:The difference with Virgin and Lotus is twofold. They both have rich shareholders who are seriously committed which Hurley obviously isn't.
Actually, Virgin is putting in nothing but their marketing and brand. Why are you trying to blame Hurley again? This is somewhat bordering on a mental disease now. No. The way this works is that you get the right people (Manor had a lot of experience, Lotus quickly identified Mike Gascoyne and even Campos got Dallara in), you identify what you need, you plan, you cost and you find the right backers and tell them what you need. Once you have that in place then the backers and the money comes more readily to you. That's Peter Windsor's job, and he got exactly the wrong person in Ken Anderson.

You're under a very bizarre impression that you can create a tin-put outfit with no experience, no resources and little practical expertise and then throw your arms up in the air and blame the investor when finance isn't forthcoming - at the last minute no less, weeks before a new season. Rubbish.
They also had organizational nuclei to start with. Nick Wirth's company was practically ready to design and build a car they only had to add the travelling racing team. Same with Lotus.
Yer. You have to make sure you have something before you even start and that you're credible. It's far too complex an operation to get running, and that's all part of the incompetence. Before they signed the Concorde agreement USF1 didn't even have an office with a phone in it. What they should have done was allied themselves with an existing operation, but that didn't enter Windsor's head and it was used as a big ego trip for Ken.

Even Dallara have a car designed and ready for Campos, and Campos have big finance, organisational and infrastructure issues. This crying over "Oh, they only had a few months and Bernie spoilt it all!" is total an utter nonsense and an excuse so bad it isn't even funny.
I don't like the way you avoid a debate based on facts. My power of comprehension isn't a point of debate. We are talking of USF1 and the causes for their failure here.
:roll: First there was denial that they were going to fail, as a great many had pointed out here (and that's been nicely painted over), and people are trying to blame anything but the incompetence of the people who started the whole sorry mess - namely PW and KA.
Last edited by segedunum on 18 Feb 2010, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.

segedunum
segedunum

WhiteBlue wrote:There is the incongruity that Hurley doesn't act like a silent start up investor. He obviously wants to form his own team. And the web site describes him as such.
No. It doesn't. You're absolutely desperate to off-load this on to Hurley. It's really quite funny.

There is no difference between his position and that of Richard Branson.
Pup wrote:Not at all. I see that Bernie was running an agenda and Hurley wasn't on the side of his fellow directors when it counted.
Based on what?

That's what you'd like to believe. Alas, Hurley saw no progress in the way that had probably been agreed, getting a whole factory and car built in a few months with no previous planning was never on the cards and the decline then was obvious. The vultures circled because something was dying.
Last edited by segedunum on 19 Feb 2010, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I must say that Stefan GP may not be all that it may be, and im a supporter of Stefan GP over USF1 and Campos. From what ive read today, Stefan GP have to make a payment before time and date soon before they can actually use the Toyoat TF110 chassis and Toyota RVX-09 engine and gearboxes for the 2010 season as Toyota havnt formaly signed over the IP and ownership yet to SGP.

Thus leading to the fact that both could still be up for sale, and posibly a fantastic test bed for any potential new tyre manufacturer in F1.

The Campos/USF1 merger seems to be a red herring, Campos is seemingly getting taken over fully by the guy that owns the Meta 1 part of the name, and he is installing Colin Kolles as principle as well as Kolles putting in the money to get the Chassis from Dallara, meanwhile Dallara have hired Geoff Willis, who has been reportedly been arround Jerez recently with a Dallara notepad and attire on.

This leads to the other fact that Carlos Sainz has been at Jerez, who is involved heavily with VW with their Dakar setup, to check how things work in F1 over. This leads me to the point, that is Kolles there in naame only as VW may be supplying the money for him & them into (Again in Kolles case) F1. Could it be that they rebrand the team Seat, Audi or Volkswagen???

It has been known that VW has been looking towards supplying a engine to F1 from 2012 onward, could this be their first forray into the sport, have the team run as what ever name at current, but when 2012 comes rebrand it whatever, and then supply a "customer" team as well, a team that has close links with VW in their junior catogory racing in Red Bull??? Also it is also known that Dallara designed and helped developed the chassis that Audi used in the Le Mans Series and Le Mans that was the all conquering Audi R8.

Many facts and rumors, too little time. Stories will develop as fast as the sport can handle, or faster. Truth is, all three teams in USF1, Campos and Stefan GP are all flaky at the edges, some more than others, but i think we will have at least 12 teams starting the season in Bahrain.

Theese next few weeks till Bahrain will be a blur for this story.

Pup
Pup

Just out of curiosity, how much of a bind could a pay driver like Lopez be in with his sponsors right now? Can he be held personally responsible in any way for sponsor money that USF1 can't return? I confess that I have no idea how these contracts work. My assumption is that they sponsor the driver, contingent on him driving in F1, and then the driver agrees separately to hand the money over to the team - in which case, he might indeed be responsible for the money. The other way would be for his sponsors to sign separate contracts with the team itself, contingent upon him driving - which would leave the driver in the clear. Anyone know how this typically works?

Lurk

Lopez won't have problem with his "sponsor" because it was the argentian government. For a real sponsorship, I think driver will be troublefree to.

If the sponsor's name is in the car, there would be a contract between sponsor and team (contract which specifies the presence of the driver as a gp or test driver).

WhiteBlue

segedunum wrote:... Why are you trying to blame Hurley again? This is somewhat bordering on a mental disease now.
I'm letting you know that I do not accept this kind of personal attack. You can apologize or the discussions with you are closed for my part.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

NexKing
NexKing

Well I had nothing else to do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nnnci4Fnow

marcush.
marcush.

chad hurley

was a graphic designer for paypal and had the idea to start youtube in 2005..they got money from risk capital investment company sequoia capital two times 3,5mill$
in 2005 and the 8mill$ in 2006 in the same year You tube was sold on to google for a staggering 1,65Billion $ just because Murdoch invested heavily in MySpace aquisition and sony ,AOL,Murdoch ,Disney wanted to secure the thing to themselves.

the Youtube company is in deep trouble financially at this time as the cost are immense but how to create income?
Nach einer Hochrechnung von Credit Suisse soll Youtube in diesem Jahr einen Verlust von 470 Millionen US-Dollar einfahren. Dem Umsatz von 240,9 Millionen US-Dollar sollen Kosten in Höhe von 613 Millionen US-Dollar gegenüber stehen. Ursache für die finanzielle Talfahrt sehen Experten in der schleppenden Akzeptanz bei Anzeigenkunden.
so the guy had one brilliant idea in 2005 with two collegues and knew who to ask for the money and I´m happy for him that he has made a huge fortune out of the circumstances playing in his favour.

google translation:
According to an estimate by Credit Suisse Youtube should present itself this year, a loss of 470 million U.S. dollars. The turnover of 240.9 million U.S. dollars will be a cost of 613 million U.S. dollars compared. Cause of the financial experts in the slow descent to see acceptance by advertisers.

At this time I can´t see what really qualifies him as head of finance ,investor or developer of relations apart from him having a bag full of Dollars and surely knowing every celebrity you could think off ...
in fact if Hurley would not have had the opportunity to sell his youtube channel would have been dead by last year at latest.Hype anyone?

Pandamasque

Oh poor USF1! Now we know who to blame. Chad not only failed to supply unlimited founding to the team but also apparently did not allow them have any sponsors too. #-o I mean such brilliant managers as peterandken could've easily get like CocaCola on board.

segedunum
segedunum

WhiteBlue wrote:I'm letting you know that I do not accept this kind of personal attack.
You can take it any way you like, but I'm afraid when you completely blame an investor (or absolutely anybody for just stating the situation) for not providing unlimited funding and for not being up the backside of those in charge every five minutes and totally absolve of any blame the two guys who actually started the whole venture, set the direction, set the strategy, came up with the plan, are in charge and responsible for day-to-day running - you've got to question your bead on things. Seriously.
You can apologize or the discussions with you are closed for my part.
Frankly, I wouldn't be polite as to call it a 'discussion'. I just found it funny and pretty unbelievable more than anything else. I did think at one point it was merely some ironic, sarcastic humour, but then I realised you were serious. :shock:

We'll move on and see what, if anything, Chad Hurley can salvage from this. Notice that it's Chad taking the intiative when times are difficult because, true to form, Peter and Ken have disappeared and it's up to others to pick up the pieces now. StefanGP might well get a slot now because they have a car and resources and an experienced designer involved. Now that Campos actually have a car, even with finance troubles, and they look as if a takeover might just keep them on the grid the window of opportunity to buy the Dallaras has probably past.

segedunum
segedunum

marcush. wrote:the Youtube company is in deep trouble financially at this time as the cost are immense but how to create income?
While it's great that people are changing tac by casting doubt on Chad Hurley and his investments now, I don't know what relevance that has here. He has the money and he's the one investing.

The fact is that YouTube is something that Google will quite happily blow half a billion a year on it until they start raking in more money renting films etc. from it because it is strategically very important. Whoever controls YouTube effectively sets video standards for the internet, and that's worth a bundle of cash you don't see.