Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

To suggest that the info only goes one way and has no overflow to the works team isnt wholly correct I feel.
Mercedes hpe have a duty to provdie engines to all 3 teams, but some amongst those 3 are more equal than others would you not agree?
More could have been done.
David Purley

aral
aral

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:To suggest that the info only goes one way and has no overflow to the works team isnt wholly correct I feel.
Mercedes hpe have a duty to provdie engines to all 3 teams, but some amongst those 3 are more equal than others would you not agree?
You are correct. It looks as if Mclaren and Force India, are more equal than the works team!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

gilgen wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:To suggest that the info only goes one way and has no overflow to the works team isnt wholly correct I feel.
You are correct. It looks as if Mclaren and Force India, are more equal than the works team!
I can respond, but I choose not to.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

tbh ,I´m sure Mercedes engines has close ties with all three raceteams and constantly gets feedback ,at least through their own engineers running the engines in the team .They´d be idiots not to share info and parts and developments at this point of season when everyoe has to redo their exhausts anyways so I´m pretty sure the layout and lengths will be quite similar .
Is the exhaust a system done in Mercedes engines or by the teams ? It could as well be the exhaust system is realised in the workshops at mclaren or Mercedes GP and only the tube lengths and diameters ,transition shapes are mandated by merc engines dept....

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The shape of the rear of the car will dictate the exhaust exit.
I dont think its a case of one size fits all, Be interesting to see how Mclaren do thiers as they have a larger left exit then right.
And Force India are not really in the same league as either McLaren or Mercedes GP.
I feel I need to point this out.... #-o
David Purley

wesley123
wesley123

marcush. wrote:tbh ,I´m sure Mercedes engines has close ties with all three raceteams and constantly gets feedback ,at least through their own engineers running the engines in the team .They´d be idiots not to share info and parts and developments at this point of season when everyoe has to redo their exhausts anyways so I´m pretty sure the layout and lengths will be quite similar .
Is the exhaust a system done in Mercedes engines or by the teams ? It could as well be the exhaust system is realised in the workshops at mclaren or Mercedes GP and only the tube lengths and diameters ,transition shapes are mandated by merc engines dept....
Now you say it, they all have their exhaust exiting in the same location, only different locations as it is neccesary to do so
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

marcush.
marcush.

first of all ,you will try to snug the pipes as close to the engine as possible for aero reasons ,getting the pipes down may even ease the routing ,as before the tailpipes were above or almost on the same height as the engine exhaust ports but now the space below the cylinderhead can be used effectively to curl the pipes to a collector close to the floor .Makes for a lower CoG as well..everything helps..

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I think in the case of Cosworth and their customer teams, Cosworth gives them the information of exhaust primary length needed and so on, and the teams can package however they way with their header shape but made to fit that length. I am assuming its the same as Mercedes and all the teams they supplied...

Blackout

Correct... Williams, Virgin and HRT don't have the same exhaust layout. While HRT have a classic one, The two others have exhausts a la Ferrari...

W01 :

Mp4-25

marcush.
marcush.

wow never did I spot the work of art of the mac exhaust with OVAL tube collector in a diamond shape arrangement...very cool ...what a far cry compared to the Mercedes arrangement.

wesley123
wesley123

and then they said it was so easy to built it in on the mclaren, well they need to widen the sidepod alot, then the whole idea of the compact rear end is gone...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

vealio
vealio

Looking at those shots it should be easier to adapt the Red Bull-like exhausts to the Mercedes car than the McLaren. Or am I wrong?

kalinka
kalinka

What strikes me about these pictures is that the pipes can be so different in length with the same engine. Look at the diff bw Macca and Merc. It looks like at some spots the pipes are almost double longer as on Macca. So if the engine works fine with these longer pipes, then it should be a little more easier for Macca to reposition the pipes than i thought before. I don't think that Merc was willing to sarcrifice some horsepower just because the longer pipes suited them better. So it'll be interesting to see all the solutions.

autogyro
autogyro

I think the pipe lengths are about the same and it is the photographic angles that make them look different.
IMO all these rear ends look cluttered and bulky compared to the RB.

kalinka
kalinka

autogyro wrote:I think the pipe lengths are about the same and it is the photographic angles that make them look different.
IMO all these rear ends look cluttered and bulky compared to the RB.
Yes, there is a different angle, but I'm not so superficial ( is this the right word ? ) to not consider this in my post. OK, maybe they are not double in length, but even considering the angle it still seems to me it's a lot longer piping in Merc. I'm not going to over-defend my opinion on this, just thinking loudly :) We are probably never gonna get the right pictures to decide this.

Also I always "fear" a bit from these types of changes on cars, because they easily can cause reliability problems in the beginning. Maybe the RB's rare, but surely statistically higher gearbox/engine problems are not so independent of this type of dense exhaust/rear end packaging. Again, don't attack me on this, it's just a feeling, I have no prove for this. Maybe just the 20-22 years of watching F1 :)