2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MCLvamos
MCLvamos

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Good points, but poorly executed race. You'd have to think double stacking would've been a better call, even if Lando lost 5ish positions, the pace was very good in clear air.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:33
Tomsky wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:31
Very poor team performance.
Why?
There should have been 4 and 5. Strategists are very dumb.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Almost pleased with Oscar's race. There were a couple of small mistakes. Lando made a mess of things, too. The strategists made mistakes, too. The mechanics on the pit, too. I can't call this race successful enough for McLaren. We lost a lot of points. And the pure race pace makes for a solid ride.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Tomsky wrote:
I strongly disagree. 4th + 5th was the nest we could hope for but with the lack of options for lando tyre strategy wise I think that we have to accept this.

Straight line speed slightly embarrassing. Yes the red bull is in a different league but the difference is staggering and it gives me flashbacks of the early honda years when the re-entered.

Great race by Oscar. Who knows if he may have ended closer the Charles if he had managed to clear Hamilton straight away. I imagine Charles was taking it a little easier.

Fingers crossed the Australia gp can get us closer to ferrari pace and then upgrades can be bought to try close the gap.

Lastly I have to say. The distance ahead that the red bulls are ahead will kill the sport eventually. I know, I know its not their fault they built such a great machine but c'mon it's like they are the f1 team and everybody else is in a f2 car.

bauc

The life of that hard tire, wow, drives were okey to drive 10 more laps
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

coltmarshmallow
coltmarshmallow

Tomsky wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:38
mwillems wrote:
Tomsky wrote:
Why?
I think leaving Noris out was fine.

With the lack straight line speed we couldn't overtake today so not much point in following cars losing time. At least they gave the chance of Noris gaining positions with a late safety car, fate wasn't to be today.

Darth-Piekus

Mcl_G10 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:42
Tomsky wrote:
I strongly disagree. 4th + 5th was the nest we could hope for but with the lack of options for lando tyre strategy wise I think that we have to accept this.

Straight line speed slightly embarrassing. Yes the red bull is in a different league but the difference is staggering and it gives me flashbacks of the early honda years when the re-entered.

Great race by Oscar. Who knows if he may have ended closer the Charles if he had managed to clear Hamilton straight away. I imagine Charles was taking it a little easier.

Fingers crossed the Australia gp can get us closer to ferrari pace and then upgrades can be bought to try close the gap.

Lastly I have to say. The distance ahead that the red bulls are ahead will kill the sport eventually. I know, I know its not their fault they built such a great machine but c'mon it's like they are the f1 team and everybody else is in a f2 car.
Well Red Bull are doing their job to be in front but there is a part of me that wonders if there is something in that car not in line if you know what I mean but they are turning a blind eye. Their speed is so unreal I'm not sure they are gonna lose any race at all.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 09 Mar 2024, 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

Tomsky
Tomsky

coltmarshmallow wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:44
Tomsky wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:38
mwillems wrote:

Why?
I think leaving Noris out was fine.

With the lack straight line speed we couldn't overtake today so not much point in following cars losing time. At least they gave the chance of Noris gaining positions with a late safety car, fate wasn't to be today.
The distance between Oscar and Lando was 7 seconds, which was enough for a double pit stop

PierreW
PierreW

bad forum
Last edited by PierreW on 09 Mar 2024, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

Marc.W

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:45
Well Red Bull are doing their job to be in front but there is a part of me that wonders if there is something in that car not in line if you know what I mean but they are turning a blind eye. I'm not sure they are gonna lose any race at all.
You would be the only one suspecting them of cheating...

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

[/quote]

Well Red Bull are doing their job to be in front but there is a part of me that wonders if there is something in that car not in line if you know what I mean but they are turning a blind eye. I'm not sure they are gonna lose any race at all.
[/quote]

I very much doubt it. They were just so far ahead at the start that the advantages they have are simply baked in at this point. The only way it changes imo is if they were to put a big foot wrong with the direction of development but that is highly unlikely with how good they are and the correlation they have which always, always seems spot on.

Of course we hope they reach a ceiling very soon but with only 1.5 years of these regs left, it nigh on impossible to do anything more than win the odd race here or there for anybody else. It's a shame.

Darth-Piekus

It's a pity that the FIA keeps refusing to let's say bring the rule changes and unfreeze the engines to level the playing field much earlier. They behave like they want to see that kind of domination.

Can we hope Mclaren repeats a last year and closes the gap that much?

Emag
Emag

Good race overall I would say. If you pit Lando with a double stack you run the risk of waiting for other cars passing through and ending up last ...
It was definitely the safer decision to not double stack in that situation, so I don't think much can be pinned on the team for that.

The straight line deficit is hurting them a lot, and together with the low speed weakness, these are areas that must be addressed as quickly as possible. They were losing 0.2-0.3s on the non-drs straights just out of chassis drag alone. And then with DRS, they were barely getting any advantage over the non-drs cars. Just very very poor in general. Which is a shame because pace otherwise was great.

Good to confirm what we saw on Bahrain. RedBull is in another league, Ferrari a bit ahead, and McLaren -= Mercedes
I believe Aston was flattered here because of the very low-deg nature of the track. There was literally 0 degradation with hards possibly having enough on them to do the full race distance. Leclerc even set the fastest lap in the end there, beating the one Lewis set on fresh softs.

I am inclined to think the base platform is quite solid this year, but the weaknesses are making them lose a lot of laptime. We obviously have no idea how much potential the rivals will unlock over time, but regardless, it is crucial that McLaren delivers relatively large steps with their packages if they want to get into the fight for podiums, at first, and then another rather large step is needed to get into the fight for victories.

Podiums seem feasible at the moment, but judging by the situation as it is right now, victories are looking very hard to achieve, for any team to be honest, not just McLaren.

PierreW
PierreW

Darth-Piekus wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:45
Mcl_G10 wrote:
09 Mar 2024, 20:42
Tomsky wrote:

Well Red Bull are doing their job to be in front but there is a part of me that wonders if there is something in that car not in line if you know what I mean but they are turning a blind eye. Their speed is so unreal I'm not sure they are gonna lose any race at all.
Toto Wolff thought the same thing.

He asked the FIA, we got TD39, it destroyed Ferrari and destroyed the 2022 season which was exciting with Red Bull winning easily since then.

Darth-Piekus

It's scary to think that we are gonna see 23 one-two this year from Red Bull.