Mercedes GP MGP W01

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
JohnsonsEvilTwin

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

NewtonMeter wrote:Hi all!

Just signed up, on this forum. I've been threatening to for a long time, and finally took the plunge.

Big Mercedes supportter here. Used to a Mac fan until Merc decided to go it alone. Personally love this topic and visit it every single day. Lots of good info.

Anyway, really hope these upgrades are effective. Not expecting sudden wins, but it would be nice if Merc could threaten a podium now and again. But I suspect the Macs and Bulls will be hard to depose.

Whichever, impressive development rate.

@Cicatrix. I noticed that too, thought I was imagining things....
Hi Newtonmeter

Self confessed Mercedes fan here too, whisper it tho! :lol:
Hope your post is the first of many. :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

JohnsonsEvilTwin

The exahaust solution looks neat and tidy, plus the front wing looks slightly "tuned".

Thank you once again Zgred

Also, ringo can you please tell me what you think is the bit that may be on the boundary of regs, excuse my stupidity on this, I dont quite know the regs here.
David Purley

mith

I also thought, front wing is revised, but later I compared it with this photo from Canada:

As you can see on the left, it looks like part of the deflector was cut off, but right side shows clearly it's just curved and from some angles it gives illusion of being cut off.

On the other hand, we see that they've brought new exhaust.

Cicatrix
Cicatrix

mith wrote: As you can see on the left, it looks like part of the deflector was cut off, but right side shows clearly it's just curved and from some angles it gives illusion of being cut off.
I also thought about it being an optical illusion and compared it with many other pics. But to me it seems too much of the deflector is missing than should if you just consider the curving the wing deflector had until now. But ok, let's wait and see :)

ringo

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:The exahaust solution looks neat and tidy, plus the front wing looks slightly "tuned".

Thank you once again Zgred

Also, ringo can you please tell me what you think is the bit that may be on the boundary of regs, excuse my stupidity on this, I dont quite know the regs here.

i was thinking about this:

3.4.2 In order to prevent tyre damage to other cars, the top, forward and outer edges of the lateral extremities of any bodywork more than 450mm ahead of the front wheel centre line and more than 750mm from the car centre line must be at least 10mm thick with a radius of at least 5mm.

but this only holds for ahead of the front wheel CL. So don't mind.

I dont know if there are rules stipulating that the floor cant have vertical elements. But what Merc have done here could start a trend of trough like floors.
For Sure!!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I see,

Those Elements appear to help with directing any "dirty" airflow through to the diffuser. Maybe this is why red bull are so secrective of the rear end of their car?
David Purley

mike
mike

sucking alot of air away from the rear tyres....drag reduction, thats always good for Mercedes

NewtonMeter
NewtonMeter

Cicatrix wrote:
I also thought about it being an optical illusion and compared it with many other pics. But to me it seems too much of the deflector is missing than should if you just consider the curving the wing deflector had until now. But ok, let's wait and see :)
I had a look at many pictures, and most of them are from an inappropriate angle, but I do get the impression of the wing being slightly modified.

Many thanks to all for the warm welcome
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Richard
Richard

Sorry I'm being a bit dim, but I've not noticed this ladder of winglets between the rear wing and tyre.

Thanks to WB for the pics... viewtopic.php?p=180128#p180128

raymondu999

That's starting to look like the old flipups from the old 2006-7-8 cars
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

vealio
vealio

I think those wings have been there from the beginning but were black, now they painted it with silver color

Blackout

vealio wrote:I think those wings have been there from the beginning but were black, now they painted it with silver color
2009 ;)

All the cars have them (except the RB/STR)

mith

But we can see a lot of stickers with sensors on that photo.

Do you think it would be possible to revert to old exhaust layout if any of those three teems encountered some serious problems with it? I think they would have to change floor, exhaust pipes and engine cover. Fortunately for them it appears none of those three had changed rear suspension, so it would be a lot easier to go back to previous solution.

wesley123
wesley123

it looks like the diffusers walls have evolved too, looks like ther is an infillfor the side gurney
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

twoshots
twoshots

mith wrote:But we can see a lot of stickers with sensors on that photo.
They are to measure the heat on the suspension rods as a result of the exhaust gases. Difficult to predict that, testing it is better. Don't want those to melt mid race...but a little heat shielding goes a long way.

As an aside, I think Rosberg did his fastest time in FP2 on primes with the top three doing theirs on the option. I don't know that for certain though...