2024 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona-Catalunya, June 21 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Spanish Grand Prix - Barcelona-Catalunya, June 21 - 23

sport777
sport777

What is remarkable is that Mercedes was the fastest in turn 9 of Campsa and Russell and Hamilton showed 266 km per hour and full throttle there, Verstappen 264, Norris 262, Ferrari 260

GrubSchumi
GrubSchumi

Tvetovnato wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:21
Tomorrow’s race if the starting order is intact after lap 1:

Verstappen eases past Norris after max 5 laps and controls the race from there.

Russell overpushing in the first 5 laps behind Hamilton and asks the team to let him by, only for his tyres to drop off massively after a few more laps.

Hamilton extends the first stint behind Norris, comes back with a tyre offset in the closing laps, almost passing Norris for second but just falls short.

Ferrari hovering about in no man’s land behind the top 4, lacking a tenth or two in race pace.
What we can see here is Max is still very consistent. Always in the hunt. Norris is also in the last 4 races has been 1st or 2nd in 3 of the last 4 races. The others are not as consistent.

I get the impression that come the end of the season, Ferrari will fall away from the top 3.

GrubSchumi
GrubSchumi

Verstappen and Norris in a league of their own. That Mclaren car looks a better package.

AMG.Tzan

Just realized Gasly did a faster lap than Perez and was only 0,380 from pole!

He could have beaten both Ferraris and Mercedes if he had a tenth more! How in the world did Alpine manage to get so close to the front suddenly? The Briatore effect? 😂
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Rikhart
Rikhart

Does anyone have any footage from the mclaren wing, especially great if from the cameras on the side of nosecone.

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:15
ToffeeTyres wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:06
It’s brilliant the cars are so close just a damn shame the cars will be changing again after next year they should have left the regs alone for a bit longer
I think one more year of this should be enough to quench my sporting thirst, and technologially the cars have been extremely boring with thes regs so I cannot wait to see the back of these cars!
And Lewis isn't winning, so the cars are sh!t...😏🤣

ringo

SirBastianVettel wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 16:44
atanatizante wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 16:24
After Q1 ...

https://postimages.org/
He knows exactly what he is doing with that message. Disgusting.
How is this disgusting?
It's a reminder to the team, and it got him P3. So works for him.
Also this could be the race engineer talking and not Lewis.

Looking at the data, redbull will surprise with race pace. It looked like Max had heavy fuel in practice. The lap times seem to improve on his long run very linearly, this way well be fuel burn off and not so much tyre deg. The laps should have got worse in a non linear way with tyre deg i think.
Also Max is on throttle earlier than everyone else. The car is very planted and should allow him margin to do tyre saving.
The McLaren has more downforce showing higher cornering speeds. Suffers a bit with top speed, but should be strong in race as well.
Mercedes will not be close. Lewis just doing his lake braking for qually to gain a little time end of straights.
I say Lando or Max. Hard to choose between the two of them and their cars. Max will live in Lando's gearbox for many laps and overtake at the pits.
Last edited by ringo on 22 Jun 2024, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:27
SirBastianVettel wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
After Q1 ...

How is this disgusting?
Plenty of people on the forum dislike Hamilton, this sort of radio excerpt just feeds that dislike. Nothing new, really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Stu

Hamilton for the win tomorrow…

Just putting it out there!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

sport777
sport777

ringo wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 18:27
SirBastianVettel wrote:
atanatizante wrote:
After Q1 ...

How is this disgusting?

Looking at the data, redbull will surprise with race pace. It looked like Max had heavy fuel in practice. The lap times seem to improve on his long run very linearly, this way well be fuel burn off and not so much tyre deg. The laps should have got worse in a non linear way with tyre deg i think.
Also Max is on throttle earlier than everyone else. The car is very planted and should allow him margin to do tyre saving.
The McLaren has more downforce showing higher cornering speeds. Suffers a bit with top speed, but should be strong in race as well.
Mercedes will not be close. Lewis just doing his lake braking for qually to gain a little time end of straights.
I say Lando or Max. Hard to choose between the two of them and their cars. Max will live in Lando's gearbox for many laps and overtake at the pits.
again people say that Mercedes will be far away, how do you know, the race is tomorrow, I like the progress of Mercedes the most

Aesop
Aesop

Rain is still likely so 7 cars are in the mix I guess. Sorry Perez...

venkyhere
venkyhere

Was looking at the final quali lap telemtry traces of NOR and VER, courtesy F1-tempo

- T5 and T7 is where Norris is gaining a cumulative 0.2

- T10 (and T13-14 is where VER is clawing back this same 0.2

- inherent driving style difference means VER is braking earlier and entering corners earlier, inorder to get onto throttle slightly earlier at exit (the 'more straightning of corners' driving style I was referring to last week). NOR is however, much smoother (like Button) with his brake and throttle inputs and carries higher minimal speeds through corners, helped possibly by the MCL38 being superior to RB20 in their current setups, when it comes to slow/medium corners. The Mclaren is able to rotate better than the more understeery RB20, I think. High-speed corners, RB20 is the undisputed king. The only exception to this is T10 where both cars/drivers are behaving almost exactly same.

It's almost confirmed in my mind, that the MCL38 has matched (possibly even surpassed) the RB20 in terms of ability. The Mclaren is, I believe, a much wider-window car than the RB20 as of today. The way they are going about the weekend, is with clockwork efficiency and precision like what RB19 used to do in 2023 - no setup drama, no driver complaints, right on the money from FP1 itself. The only remaining doubt is how the tyre deg of MCL38 (in normal summer temp conditions) is going to be, w.r.t the RB20. If that too proves better tomorrow, we can safely say the Mclaren is THE CAR of 2024, usurping the crown from RB20.

Sevach
Sevach

sport777 wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 17:51
What is remarkable is that Mercedes was the fastest in turn 9 of Campsa and Russell and Hamilton showed 266 km per hour and full throttle there, Verstappen 264, Norris 262, Ferrari 260
At least in qualifying it's power/drag limited.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Aesop wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 19:12
Rain is still likely so 7 cars are in the mix I guess. Sorry Perez...
My impression is that Mclaren and Red Bull have a bit more downforce than the others so if it were to rain I think Norris and Verstappen would be in a race of their own tomorrow. Both very good in wet conditions, but also having the extra downforce on a wet track would benefit them.