BrawnGP

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: BrawnGP

So BGP is the winner of the winter testing world championship? :lol:

I guess we'll know in Melborne, but I'll still look at the time with a grain of salt....

Roger the knife

These times are quite remarkable, and bound to cause some speculation, but it just doesn't seem to be realistic that someone as focussed as RB would mess around just to look good, he's way too aware of the big picture to waste time running the car way out of spec...

bgroovers
bgroovers

[quote="Henning"]Image

Could that snow shovel under the tub also be housing a large amount of ballast? If they arent running kers you want as much ballast low down and forward but not in the nose cone... I think this is one of the many innovations on Brawns car. BGP for construtors!

jddh1

Roger the knife wrote:These times are quite remarkable, and bound to cause some speculation, but it just doesn't seem to be realistic that someone as focussed as RB would mess around just to look good, he's way too aware of the big picture to waste time running the car way out of spec...
I agree. He engineered a few championships at Ferrari. Let's not forget that. He's no chump.

It would be funny though if Honda all of a sudden wants to get back in the game and Brawn says "NO!"

RH1300S
RH1300S

I doubt that RB & team would mess around trying to look good. Brawn is a serious engineer and not into self delusion.

Somewhere I found some times listing each lap time on a race simulation - the Brawn was quick and consistent. On a fuel load to 21 laps (to 1st pitstop) it posted a 1’20”566 - with 16 laps on board (lap 5 of 21) surely shows that they aren't just glory hunting.

I'm still baffled by McLaren (maybe I shouldn't be ) - fair enough, they never try to win the "winter world championships" - but I don't remember them being this slow in previous years.

We'll find out in Melbourne.............

Rubens has just posted a 01'18''926 - to my mind that makes JB's long run times look realistic

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

If you are doing aero testing and keeps your balance similar and such, you can getaway with running lighter ballast on the car and still get meaningful data I'd think. The speed aren't THAT different, and you are just moving the benchmark you are comparing yourselves to. And as long YOU know what you are doing, you can still compare to others. You are also still working on reliability too. Remember BGP aren't running KERS right now, they do have more weight they can play with in terms of ballast. They don't check for 600kg min weight at winter championsip(lol), you start from 550kg + 25 laps of fuel, vs 600kg + 25 lap of fuel, every lap at the 550 is going to be faster.

I am not saying they are doing that, but remember they are still balancing on the fine-edge of survival, and they can use any good publicity they can get...

enkidu
enkidu

RacingManiac wrote:If you are doing aero testing and keeps your balance similar and such, you can getaway with running lighter ballast on the car and still get meaningful data I'd think. The speed aren't THAT different, and you are just moving the benchmark you are comparing yourselves to. And as long YOU know what you are doing, you can still compare to others. You are also still working on reliability too. Remember BGP aren't running KERS right now, they do have more weight they can play with in terms of ballast. They don't check for 600kg min weight at winter championsip(lol), you start from 550kg + 25 laps of fuel, vs 600kg + 25 lap of fuel, every lap at the 550 is going to be faster.

I am not saying they are doing that, but remember they are still balancing on the fine-edge of survival, and they can use any good publicity they can get...
I don't believe they are running light at all... Why would they? It would upset the balance in Aus not having it setup now. Lets all just wait and see what happens in a couple of weeks eh :)

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

RacingManiac wrote:If you are doing aero testing and keeps your balance similar and such, you can getaway with running lighter ballast on the car and still get meaningful data I'd think. The speed aren't THAT different
Eh?

Apart from your inertias being all wrong...

Conceptual
Conceptual

This is gonna be so great!

Just imagine, Honda using this time to upgrade their engine, and are back on the grid in Melbourne.

At least, if I was Honda and seeing these times, I would be all over it!

axle
axle

Conceptual wrote:This is gonna be so great!

Just imagine, Honda using this time to upgrade their engine, and are back on the grid in Melbourne.

At least, if I was Honda and seeing these times, I would be all over it!
They can't, Mercedes have the contract to supply BrawnGP - The Honda F1 team doesn't exist anymore lets face it if Brawn is saying the simulator was spot on and that didn't do enough to convince Honda to change then I can't really see any way back for Honda.

BrawnGP is NOT Honda, for it to be Honda they would have to BUY it back.
- Axle

enkidu
enkidu

I bet they have an option to in future though, it definately wont be this year it happens!

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

less inertia, more acceleration/grip, better lap time. but if you are working on balance, and your base weight distribution is the same, the delta should still be valid, regardless what your base was. You should just have a skewed frame of reference. As long as you know how it is skewed, I'd think you can use what you learned to apply to what you want.

are they doing that? only BGP folks know. Do they have reasons to do that, I'd think so. There are no sticker on the car, they have a whole season ahead of them, and better laid plan have failed before(financially speaking) from people who have planned longer time to start a F1 outfit. What better way to attract sponsors then something like this, and as so many of you have point out, Ross Brawn has a reputation of being successful(and indeed he was very successful, even last year at Honda we can already see his influence), it gives these times creditbility. If that was their plan, it is obviously working as wherever you look, thats all the media outlets in F1 is talking about.

Truth obviously will be known in Melborne, and I hope they do well.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

RacingManiac wrote:less inertia, more acceleration/grip, better lap time.
No, unfortunately it means so much more.

Your tyre deformations cornering come directly from the forces put on them. F1 aerodynamics these days is all about tyres and dynamic events - for the tyres its how they affect ride height, how they affect roll angle and how they affect yaw - all those couple to varying degrees.

All of which are directly dependant on how you load the tyre. Both in a static (steady state cornering) and dynamic sense.

The interactions are sooo complex, its hard to even begin to get your head around them (well, certainly it is hard for me!). Its one of the big reasons teams track test, and track test, and track test - the wind tunnel can only do so much in these very dynamic areas.

Renault got it wrong when Michelin left - where were they 2007? McLaren *may* have got it wrong now with the slick tyres... hence why a great looking car with a number of lovely design touches is propping the timesheets.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

I'd imagine right now those Honda execs that made the decision to drop the F1 team are getting fired. Atleast I bloody hope so, see how they like it!

Conceptual
Conceptual

Diesel wrote:I'd imagine right now those Honda execs that made the decision to drop the F1 team are getting fired. Atleast I bloody hope so, see how they like it!
The worst is that Honda is still paying the staff!

And they are getting NOTHING for it. No sticker on the car even! It looks like a large portion of last years budget went into this car too, so Honda are now watching their money at the top of the time sheets while running a Merc engine...

If Honda would have opted to produce 20 engines with the cleared upgrades, at least they would be getting something in return for their (continued) investment.

Now all they get is laughed at.

PS: It is also quite possible that the car would be even quicker with the Honda engine that this chassis was designed around. Other than some possible increase in cooling system drag, the Merc in the Honda shouldn't beat the Honda + upgrades in the Honda...
Last edited by Conceptual on 12 Mar 2009, 20:13, edited 1 time in total.