COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

strad

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

WhiteBlue wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:Does that 10% banking hold even for entry speeds less than 200 kmph?
FiA Regulation wrote:Transversal inclination, drainage
Along straights, the transversal incline, for drainage purposes, between the two edges of the track or between the centre-line and the edge (camber), should not exceed 3%, or be less than 1,5 %.
In curves, the banking (downwards from the outside to the inside of the track) should not exceed 10 % (with possible exceptions in special cases, such as speedways). An adverse incline is not generally acceptable unless dictated by special circumstances, in which case the entry speed should not exceed 125 kph.
It doesn't have to be a a max amount of banking anyway....Wasn't there a French circuit that had a banked corner leading onto the straight?...I seem to remember them trying to go three abreast...late 50s maybe?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

sknguy
sknguy

I like the layout, and I'm trying to figure out why I like it. I'm unsure because this circuit doesn't really introduce any particularly unique feature. No "new" signature turn or section. At least nothing we haven't seen before. However, what seems to make it appealing for me, is that it echoes signature features found on other circuits. I think this will be an enjoyable race to watch.

I hope Austin doesn't get much heavy precipitation. Light rain would make a race interesting on this circuit. But by the looks of it, it would be a much better circuit for dry weather. I hope there aren't too many changes before it's debut. It looks interesting.

godlameroso

There are on the contrary, quite a bit of interesting turns, it looks like there there are only a few chicanes, but plenty of speed on the other hand.
Saishū kōnā

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

donskar
donskar

andrew wrote:Doesn't look too good this! :lol:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/formula ... 05095.html
That article does not sound good at all. It is early days yet, but there is a lot of work to be done.

Another poster asked about rain. The temps are dropping a little right now, but this is also hurricane season.* Austin had very wet and stormy weather this week. I think October/November might be good months for the race.

*No, hurricanes don't get that far inland, but the rain they generate does.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

Access to this track is a piece of cake compared to 99% of the track venues F1 has visited before. Your site is 3 or 4 miles from the next dual carriage interstate. Building the necessary dual carriage access roads is just a matter of sorting out who pays. Compared to the total facility cost we are talking peanuts. But there will still be a discussion who will pay the peanuts. In the end this issue will be a non isssue.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

The proximity to a "carriageway" is not a deal breaker at all if there are housing developments near or around the track. I'd prefer a track that is in the boonies than one is that is surrounded by houses, since the latter could practically kill any significant activity AFAIC.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

donskar
donskar

mx_tifosi wrote:The proximity to a "carriageway" is not a deal breaker at all if there are housing developments near or around the track. I'd prefer a track that is in the boonies than one is that is surrounded by houses, since the latter could practically kill any significant activity AFAIC.
Good point. There are many instances in the US of "neighbors" making life very difficult for race tracks (and airports). It has been very difficult to get road projects approved/funded in Texas the past few years. And Texas' governor is becoming (in)famous for rejecting federal funds (and for talking about seceding from the union :wtf: ). There is a movement afoot to provide federal funding for infrastructure (roads, bridges, etc). That could be the solution, IF Texas will accept the $.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

andrew
andrew

I don't know about Texas, but I know that over here, where there is a major development either residential, commercial or industrial a roads infrastructure is one of the first things that the Planning department will look for which is a very sensible way to proceed. The fact that a transport infrastructure seems to be more of an after thought does not look too good.

andrew
andrew

WhiteBlue

I don't see anything new in this release except for the circuit map pasted into the satellite pic. Unfortunately that is of such a bad resolution that it is useless.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

andrew
andrew

WhiteBlue wrote:I don't see anything new in this release except for the circuit map pasted into the satellite pic. Unfortunately that is of such a bad resolution that it is useless.
Why you got to be like that eh? Can you not just either ignore or be polite? Or do you exist soley to annoy? [-X

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

From what I have seen so far, the track tried to pull a fast one and slip past the requirement for access to the track. That must have pissed off some people. My take is that the track will have to fund the expansion of access roads themselves. They better get moving quick, or things will get very ugly.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

andrew
andrew

I don't know about Texas, but over here access roads etc are a basic planning condition for any big development. I would not be surprised if this is the same in the US as it is incredibly sensible to ensure that there is an adequate roads infrastructure.